#434 HATED my ANTHEMIC ORCHESTRAL or ORCHESTRAL HYBRID INSTRUMENTAL (sports)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: #434 HATED my ANTHEMIC ORCHESTRAL or ORCHESTRAL HYBRID INSTRUMENTAL (sports)

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:38 am

I do hear a few issues, so here's my thoughts for what they're worth. I hear some of the bombast but without the aggression that the rock band (the 'hybrid' part of the request) adds to the ref, there's a lot of repetition in the top line, the mix level dips at the mid point, occasional instruments jump out of the mix, and I have to agree that the flute is a bit 'iffy' :). I reckon you could easily sort most of that out though and have a much more appealing track. I think you're right that the end result will probably be more suitable for news than sports, but its worth keeping on the back burner ready for that type of opportunity.

[BTW, maybe you were joking, but omitting the hybrid elements because 'not everyone likes rock' is like writing your own listing request. If you don't send what they ask for you're already scuppering your chances of a forward (with or without dodgy flute) ;).]
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: #434 HATED my ANTHEMIC ORCHESTRAL or ORCHESTRAL HYBRID INSTRUMENTAL (sports)

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:07 am

I know the listing said hybrid was an option or I wouldn't have changed from my original tuba bass to synth bass. I didn't even submit mine after people said it was too "pop sounding" on this forum. I'm saving my "works in progress" and will try to transform them into something that will get a forward. On to the next, right?
Ken

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:23 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:10 am
KennyWayneBuffalo wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:07 am
On to the next, right?
True!

But it's hailing returns for me right now... :o :oops:
I've been a member for over six months and haven't gotten a forward yet. I'm just trying to learn the ropes and hoping the right listings come around. They set the bar high and it's a challenge, there's no doubt about that.
Ken

paulkearnsmusic

Post by paulkearnsmusic » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:04 am

I also pitched for this and got almost word for word the same reply from the same reviewer!!

I admit that it was a bit of a "punt" as the composition had been submitted for another listing a few weeks ago.
It was "suggested" that I "replace" the pizzicato string" with staccato - which is what I had actually used!!

He / she suggested the samples sounded "dated"!!
I used East West, Spitfire Albion 1 and Vienna Symphonic samples - all downloaded on the last 2 months -dated??? :roll:
He / she suggested that the production wasn't up to scratch.
This is odd, because the review I got 2 weeks ago for the exact same cue praised the sounds and production.

I listened to yours and the only item that might be an issue was the flutes being a bit "harsh" - but that's being picky.
Mind you, you can safely ignore me - I'm just a newbie with much to learn :shock:

If you want to listen to my attempt, you should be able to go on my profile and listen to "Grandiloquent Minor" (not loaded to SoundCloud yet).

I was a bit nonplussed but just put it down to that reviewer 434 was having a bad day!!

Cheers
Paul

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:30 am

FWIW: your track reminded me of Chuck Mangione's 1984 Olympics-style 'theme' music; and specifically - it stirred up images of a women's figure-skating Olympic competition.
"Not that there's anything WRONG with that." :? 8-)
Live and learn, eh?
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:47 am

funsongs wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:30 am
FWIW: your track reminded me of Chuck Mangione's 1984 Olympics-style 'theme' music; and specifically - it stirred up images of a women's figure-skating Olympic competition.
"Not that there's anything WRONG with that." :? 8-)
Live and learn, eh?
I was trying to put my finger on it, but I can't top what you wrote. You nailed it. :)

jhwk101

Post by jhwk101 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:39 am

I also got a similar review from 434.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/MD1q4

Said my instruments need updating. I'm using composer cloud hollywood orchestra packs, stormdrum2 for the big drums and ezdrummer2 for the drumset.

I wrote it for another listing and thought maybe it didn't match but submitted to see if I'd get feedback on instruments. So now concerned composer cloud is not up to snuff for Taxi listings, although I've seen professionals use (claim to use) these packs.

FWIW - I think you wrote a nice piece here, but maybe not epic enough for the listing. Seems like a track for soccer, olympics vs. NFL and F1. I disagree with the flute feedback you got. It's a common marching instrument and used in countless fanfares, obviously behind horns, but flutes are used for way more than angelic or high class sounds imho.

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:35 am

Last edited by crashgates on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhwk101

Post by jhwk101 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:25 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:08 pm
jhwk101 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:39 am
Said my instruments need updating. I'm using composer cloud hollywood orchestra packs, stormdrum2 for the big drums and ezdrummer2 for the drumset.
I like your track a lot! One thing I noticed immediately was that at the beginning (and later) the strings sample for the faster figures almost seemed to be a slow one rather than a stingy one with a short attack (spiccato?). Maybe it was the right sample or setting, but something in the production makes them sound dragging somehow and more low energy. I think swapping/working on those would help your track being even more energetic. I'd definitely not give up on it - it has the right vibe!
Thanks Tom. I was using marcato but I can see what your saying. I'll have to play with it. 🙂

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:47 am

Last edited by crashgates on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.