5 Ways to Destroy Your Music Industry Relationships

Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TAXILIZ
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

5 Ways to Destroy Your Music Industry Relationships

Post by TAXILIZ » Fri May 05, 2023 9:35 am

5 Ways to Destroy a Music Industry Relationship On Monday's TAXI TV!

Click the link below to watch LIVE on Monday at 4 PM Pacific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOnDhV2jmy0

7 pm Eastern (EDT) / 6 pm Central (CDT) / 4 pm Pacific (PDT) 12 am London (BST) / 9 am Sydney (AEST)

Dear Songwriters, Artists, and Composers,

During the 31 years I've been running TAXI, I've noticed something that's critical to becoming and staying successful in the music industry!

Is it great music? Yes, that's certainly a big part of the equation, but building, maintaining, and nurturing relationships could very well be equally as important in regard to becoming successful. And I'm sorry to say that I've seen many talented musicians ruin some (or many) of their relationships, new and old!

My goal in this week's episode of TAXI TV is to highlight many of the relationship-building and/or killing things I've witnessed over the last three decades. Sadly, most of the time, the people who've committed relationship suicide don't even realize what they've done, and the impact it's had.

Special Guests...
I consider Tracey and Vance Marino world-class experts at building and maintaining music industry relationships. I've watched them work their magic at conferences and online. As a matter of fact, they dedicated an entire chapter to that subject in their excellent book, Hey, That's My Song!

That chapter alone is worth the price of buying their book!

https://amzn.to/41bjCUi

Please join me when I interview Tracey and Vance during this week's episode. I'll bet you'll find yourself saying "oops" more than once as we go through all the ways you can destroy the music business relationships you should be building, maintaining, and nurturing.

Click the link below to watch LIVE on Monday at 4 PM Pacific!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOnDhV2jmy0

To Join the Live Chat and Ask Questions During the Broadcast…

You’ll need to be signed up to YouTube (FREE) and be logged in to be able to join in on the chat during the show. Go to youtube.com and click the "Sign In" link in the upper right-hand corner of the page and fill out the short form to join. If you have a Gmail account, you’ll be able to link your YouTube account with it!

7 pm Eastern (EDT) / 6 pm Central (CDT) / 4 pm Pacific (PDT) 12 am London (BST) / 9 am Sydney (AEST)

Join us on the show,
Michael and the TAXI TV Team

*As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases from the links above in this email.*

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Re: 5 Ways to Destroy Your Music Industry Relationships

Post by superblonde » Fri May 05, 2023 5:05 pm

Suggested Question. How much does it cost to hire an industry music agent to represent an album of tracks, in comparison to how much it costs in total TAXI membership + estimated listing submission fees, over the 3 years of the relevant marketing lifetime of that album.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri May 05, 2023 5:27 pm

superblonde wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:05 pm
Suggested Question. How much does it cost to hire an industry music agent to represent an album of tracks, in comparison to how much it costs in total TAXI membership + estimated listing submission fees, over the 3 years of the relevant marketing lifetime of that album.
Keep in mind that you won't get any industry agent willing to represent your songs unless they are top notch to begin with. They don't accept just anything. AFAIK, there are 2 types of such agents. First is a sync agent who works on percentage such as 50% of sync fee. Second is a music attorney who would charge at least $1000/month to represent you. That last figure is a guess since the last time I was offered such a deal some 15 years ago, it was $500/month.

But again, don't lose sight of the fact that Taxi adds the value of helping you get your songs to that level.

:D Casey

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat May 06, 2023 2:35 am

superblonde wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:05 pm
There's no guarantee of success by either route. Bad material won't attract any interest regardless of how much or how little you're willing to pay, but fantastic material could be snapped up immediately, however it gets there. IMHO the answer is always .... make great music, and if you do that the rest will be easy, but an agent won't show you how.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Sat May 06, 2023 7:55 pm

"Bad material won't attract interest regardless of spending"...? the grammys.... and others.. certainly demonstrate the pinnacle of reward for the pushing hard of bad material.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat May 06, 2023 8:09 pm

superblonde wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 7:55 pm
"Bad material won't attract interest regardless of spending"...? the grammys.... and others.. certainly demonstrate the pinnacle of reward for the pushing hard of bad material.
Totally missed the point. What you think is bad material at the grammys may or may not be so in the eyes of many others. And the bottom line is it comes down to what sells in today's market. What I said applies in that you'll never get an agent to represent your songs if they don't think they are great and that is defined largely by if they will sell in today's market. That's reality. If you don't like it, this isn't the business for you.

Apologies if I should know this as a forum participant, but have you had any Taxi forwards? If you've submitted a fair amount and have had few or no forwards, odds of you attracting an outside agent are pretty slim. While Taxi listings aren't the only way to succeed in this business, passing the "bar" of listings is an excellent barometer of where your music stands in today's world.

Casey

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon May 08, 2023 2:03 pm

the grammys.... and others.. certainly demonstrate the pinnacle of reward for the pushing hard of bad material.
Kinda funny statement, but Casey is right. And if you think the Grammys are populated by bad material, then try writing some similarly bad material and see if you can get a Grammy too.

~~Matt

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon May 08, 2023 2:15 pm

superblonde wrote:
the grammys.... and others.. certainly demonstrate the pinnacle of reward for the pushing hard of bad material.
In your esteemed opinion.

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Mon May 08, 2023 3:15 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 2:03 pm
Kinda funny statement, but Casey is right. And if you think the Grammys are populated by bad material, then try writing some similarly bad material and see if you can get a Grammy too.

~~Matt
It is called paid placement. And i assume you are a voting awards member so you are aware of how votes are influenced.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon May 08, 2023 6:08 pm

superblonde wrote:
If you feel this negatively about contemporary music, I'm not sure why you are a Taxi member. The overwhelming majority of Taxi listings are for today's popular music because that's what's in demand.