We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Feedback Request: '50's Instrumental #2

Post by DouglasKnight » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:01 pm

Hey all--

I'd really appreciate any constructive feedback on this track for the listing below: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR ... rom-night

Wondering if the strings work or not and if the performance and mix are in the ballpark. (I was shooting for the Paul Anka reference.)

Thank you,
Doug

A Bunch of 1950's & 60's TRADITIONAL POP/ROCK/SOUL INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a high-quality Music Library for a Hot New TV Show on a Major Cable Television Station.

NOTE: This Library is BRAND NEW to requesting music from TAXI, so this is a great opportunity to create a new relationship for your music with an awesome new company!

IMPORTANT: We are also running a TAXI Listing for Lots and Lots of 1950's & 60's TRADITIONAL POP/ROCK/SOUL SONGS with Male or Female Vocals as listing TAXI #S220808FS, so please don’t confuse the two!

This Company is looking for a wide range of Instrumentals – and quite a few of them! – that could fit on a playlist with the following references we got directly from them:

"Put Your Head On My Shoulder" by Paul Anka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BqGB7QtUEw

"Oh! Carol" by Neil Sedaka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4lLcMW0KsU

"Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDXrzwWze8

"Long Tall Sally" by Little Richard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E68N5E1d0_M

"Return To Sender" by Elvis Presley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZmUfUBqE-s

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this request.

NOTE: You can submit vintage recordings (from the 1950's or 60's); or, if you’ve got any recently recorded Instrumentals in the general production style of the references, they would love to hear those as well!

Please send them top-notch, original, Traditional or Traditional-sounding Pop/Rock/Soul Instrumentals that capture the sound and style of music from the 1950's and 60's. Your submissions should have engaging rhythms, memorable motifs, and polished, era and genre-appropriate arrangements and production. This Client has a strong preference for a live sound, so we recommend recording your instruments live to help nail the authentic sound they need. However, if you choose to use any virtual instruments or samples, they should sound like the real deal – nothing stiff or overly quantized will work, here.

Your submissions should be about 2 to 4 minutes long, give or take. Recently recorded Instrumentals should have non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings. Faded endings are okay for vintage recordings only. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed. Era-appropriate Broadcast Quality will work for vintage recordings.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback Request: '50's Instrumental #2

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:58 am

Nice track - closed HH's are a bit stiff/ robotic for me , maybe drop / and / or vary the velocities , move them so it has more push & pull/feel to it. open HH's sound more realistic.

Snare is a bit full and too forward for me , again , lower velocities..push it further back. Remember recordings of this era were generally one take done in from of a mic so the balance was basically done by the distance things were from the mic.

Strings seem to be in the same register as the guitar so maybe try them an octave above...ad a load of plate or chamber reverb and blend them more.

Hope that helps

Mark

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:23 pm

Super composition, feel, playing. ;)

My only criticism is the same as Mark's: the drum sound is way more modern than the 50s. A squinch of bandwidth-limiting and distance will get them to sit much better stylistically.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:10 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:58 am
Nice track - closed HH's are a bit stiff/ robotic for me , maybe drop / and / or vary the velocities , move them so it has more push & pull/feel to it. open HH's sound more realistic.

Snare is a bit full and too forward for me , again , lower velocities..push it further back. Remember recordings of this era were generally one take done in from of a mic so the balance was basically done by the distance things were from the mic.

Strings seem to be in the same register as the guitar so maybe try them an octave above...ad a load of plate or chamber reverb and blend them more.

Hope that helps

Mark
Great feedback as always, Mark -- working on those changes now. Thanks a million...
Doug

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:11 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:23 pm
Super composition, feel, playing. ;)

My only criticism is the same as Mark's: the drum sound is way more modern than the 50s. A squinch of bandwidth-limiting and distance will get them to sit much better stylistically.
Hey Alan, thank you so much for listening and for your feedback -- I'm working on getting the drums to sound more authentic and will update the link. Very much appreciated! Doug

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:06 pm

Hello Doug , firstly this has zero to do with your encouragement for me the other day , I dont work that way , its great , it was golden era and you've captured it . great use of those classic chord progressions , same again with the pentatonic bass end riffs , its also melodic ( for me the most important thing ) the mix and the production sounds great to me , but Im not the man to ask , I dont listen that way ( it ruins it for me ) I go by the emotion and Ill bet thats what the man/woman in the street does , I didn't even get what you're talking about with the strings , I listened again and they are subtle and work for me . I know what you mean by Paul Anka whom I love , but Im getting the amazing Fats Domino as well . cheers Frank .

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:45 am

fbd wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:06 pm
Hello Doug , firstly this has zero to do with your encouragement for me the other day , I dont work that way , its great , it was golden era and you've captured it . great use of those classic chord progressions , same again with the pentatonic bass end riffs , its also melodic ( for me the most important thing ) the mix and the production sounds great to me , but Im not the man to ask , I dont listen that way ( it ruins it for me ) I go by the emotion and Ill bet thats what the man/woman in the street does , I didn't even get what you're talking about with the strings , I listened again and they are subtle and work for me . I know what you mean by Paul Anka whom I love , but Im getting the amazing Fats Domino as well . cheers Frank .
Hey Frank! Thanks so much for listening and replying -- so glad you liked it as well! It's a fun genre to work with, for sure. I played in a 50's cover band back in the 90's, so it's great to revisit that style again. All the best, Doug.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:26 am

DouglasKnight wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:10 pm
Great feedback as always, Mark -- working on those changes now. Thanks a million...
Doug
Anytime Doug, many thanks for the coffee !

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:52 pm

Hey Doug,

I love the track. It really captured the style and feel of that era. What are you using for your drum sounds?
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:58 am

LamarPecorino wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:52 pm
Hey Doug,

I love the track. It really captured the style and feel of that era. What are you using for your drum sounds?
Thank you Lamar, I appreciate that! I used the custom and vintage kit in superior drummer 2 running through a Studer tape emulation plug in and into the capital chambers reverb.

Glad you liked it! I was able to get it signed with a publisher who submitted it for a cable TV show, so fingers crossed…

All the best,
Doug