7 Publishing Deals & Results

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: 7 Publishing Deals & Results

Post by JohnDroese » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Hey Carl.... I just pitched an album of Pandemic tension cues much like yours I called it Search for Answers....Hopefully hear back in a couple of days
I agree with your comments about Taxi it is very beneficial to me.....I wouldn't have an album of Pandemic tension cues sitting around if I hadn't written them for Taxi briefs...
Two of the libraries I work with I met the owners at last years Road Rally.... Taxi is a tool that any smart producer will use to further their career Taxi will not do the work for you....
Taxi has given me many introductions to libraries but that's when the real work begins! One thing I will say is don't spend too much time planning use the 20/80 rule 20% of your time planning and preparing 80% of your time doing and follow up...

Best of luck
John

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:43 pm

hi Carl, checked out your SC and noticed your track count. are most of those unsigned? how many unique tracks do you have in total? have you tried musiclibraryreport per researching libs? I think its necessary especially in the current landscape to play more than one angle in order to gain some traction, also doesnt hurt to diversify (Excl, Nonexcl, RF) since everything is a moving target (RF decline, kardashians on its last season, rise of streaming ) hard to predict which old doors will close (or already have) or when new doors open. good luck!

cdl

Post by cdl » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:10 pm

John, good luck on the Pandemic tension cues project. Yes, hopefully the pitch will result in getting those tunes signed! I also agree about the 20/80 rule. My ratio certainly has been turned around, so I have another goal to work on. Lol!

Thank you, boinkeee2000 for listening to my Sound Cloud page. 37 of my 272 tracks on that site are signed, but the majority are not. I also have a lot more tunes which haven't been uploaded to SC, which will total well over 300. Since I don't compose using loops, it takes me longer to play and produce everything. Another goal for me is to have around 450 to 500 total tunes by this time next year. Your suggestion to diversify my efforts certainly makes sense, and appreciated!

Kind regards,

Carl

TaxiLurker
Active
Active

Post by TaxiLurker » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:41 am

Great insights all over this thread!

Of topic, sorry to hijack this

One thing that always bug me and I read it all the time is when people say "contact them libraries". In my case it was the first thing that I did when I started, and I've been doing it for 5 years, every year.
I send 20 mails to different libraries, check their websites for briefs, etc. The result: Nothing.
That's what drove me to Taxi. It bothers me that I have to pay to pitch, but I list I have some feedback and a rare opportunity to be signed.
Needless to say I don't send to random libraries, I've chose them because they do my style and I can deliver something. But they are packed.
Sorry for the rant, but I wish it was that easy

cdl

Post by cdl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:56 am

Hi TaxiLurker,

I think your frustrations and not so positive experience is valid. The recent posts from Taxi members for this thread and their suggestions could really help all of us further our writing efforts. Maybe someone else can give some insight on how they might have been successful in reaching out to music libraries, and what might have worked for them in getting requests to be able to submit their music?

Carl

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:21 am

TaxiLurker wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:41 am
Sorry for the rant, but I wish it was that easy
its not, and i feel you, i came back to taxi for same reasons...

its a process, a lengthy one. Carl has hundred of tracks looking for a home, in various genres. It wont hurt to try different avenues, even tough ones, and ones experience may not equate to another.

I've had some success in getting into some good libs on my own, albeit with a dismal batting avg. and if i stopped at the first 20 attempts I wouldnt have gotten into the first one, and so forth. there is one premiere nonexcl lib that took me 2yrs and 30 rejections before they took my first one, and a track i didnt expect they'd take. this is after heavy research, a focused strategy, and a nonstop determination to improve the craft. of course you can never rule out luck.

you really gotta fight and claw your way up, and its easier to give up (as i wanted to numerous times). and its no different here if you listen to the quality of tracks being submitted.

getting past the frustration is half the battle, it only takes a glimpse of daylight to strengthen your resolve. hang in there...

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:08 am

Take 10 to 12 of your tracks definitely use the tracks that were forwarded as that is validation that they are the needed quality. create an album that fills a specific niche or scene like medical/investigative tension cues create a cover give it a catchy name like "finding the cure" or something and send it to a library.... Try to find a persons name not a generic submissions email..... Do a little research and investigating hell play your investigative tension cue while you are hunting....lol. How do you do this? find a library online I would start with a smaller boutique one why? you ask.... because I don't think your stuff is good enough for one of the mega conglomerate libraries? not at all..... because its easier to make a connection with a person at smaller library and this business is about connections.... Find the owner it's usually one or two people google until you find their work email tip #! use linkedin.... Ok so why did I have you compile your 10 to 12 best tracks in the same genre create an album cover.... come up with a cool descriptive name... and post it on your website or soundcloud? Because that is less work for them to do... you just scored huge brownie points.... Now research the library know who their clients are.... Do they even need tension cues? listen to some uf the tracks in their library is your stuff on par? recoding quality? mastering? Next send the email.....introduce yourself by name... If you are an artist state that but otherwise they don't care about your background not at this point.... Ask how they are doing? say you have seen some of their placements and you have some music that you hopes can serve their clients needs? DO NOT say how great you are and how perfect your music is for a particular show etc. etc. Next tell them you know they are busy because trust me they are all busy....Thank them for their time in advance post a link to your album.....do not send a file.... Put your contact information.....Hit send!! Wait two weeks if you have not heard back.... take your original email and forward it back to them say " I'm not sure you received this I know how spam grabs some e-mails" reiterate how you think your music can help serve their clients and re-send waitt one week if you haven't heard from them move to the next library. If they do respond start to build a relationship with them but that is a story for another day....lol
Sorry for the rambling

This ^^^^^^^. It takes Time this is a sloooooooooooooooow moving industry and everyone is super busy Buuuuut they do want to help and most importantly they want good music......music that can serve their clients and make them money.... Do you have that kind of music? Do you have 10 to 12 tracks in one particular genre? if not that is your first step get your stuff to that level..... The truth is there are thousands of producers from around the world that have the goods.... But most don't have the patience, ability to handle rejection, and discipline to make it!!! Be the one in a thousand that makes a plan that works......then works that plan

Best of luck
John

cdl

Post by cdl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:41 am

TaxiLurker,

When you listen to Andy, Eric, and Paul's work (I loved it!), and numerous other Taxi members, to me the lack of success some of us are having isn't about the talent, but about the marketing and promotion, which I wasn't doing, and is most likely a lot harder than creating the music. Again, John's suggestion about packaging is great advice! When I first joined Taxi, it was suggested that it takes 3-5 years on average to start see some sort of success. After talking to one of the music library owners I'm signed with, he said it is probably more like 5-7 years. So how can we accelerate the process? As previously suggested, DIVERSIFY our efforts! I'm still amazed at how many talented musicians throughout the world are submitting great material. For me, to even be able to have a chance I want my material to be good enough to be rejected. I'm also an aspiring movie screenwriter, and the process is pretty much the same with trying to get a screenplay considered by prospective producers. You have to contact a lot of people in a way that they want to read your script. It doesn't mean they want to produce it, but again is it good enough to be rejected? Other than acting, I've chosen two of the harder areas to break into within the entertainment industry. LOL! Still, if you are gifted, and you will write music regardless, why not continue to pursue your dreams. I have to remind myself of that constantly.

Carl

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:38 pm

cdl wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:41 am
After talking to one of the music library owners I'm signed with, he said it is probably more like 5-7 years.
judging from my colleagues trajectory whos been at this for an avg of 7-10yrs, 7yrs seems about right, maybe more for someone starting from scratch without any production exp (if you take into account the learning phase)

for me, it took 5yrs running a full time rec studio, producing for various artists and bands, to be somewhat contented with my production skills within my genres (and still learning). YMMV

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:06 pm

boinkeee2000 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:21 am
there is one premiere nonexcl lib that took me 2yrs and 30 rejections before they took my first one,
Does it start with C and end in L by any chance ? If so..I feel your pain