80's instrumental listing......

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rlcmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

80's instrumental listing......

Post by rlcmusic » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:58 am

Hi,I started working on a couple of pieces for the 'early 80s' instrumental listing today and would appreciate any feedback on all aspects of the following piece. It was based on a song.....if you don't recognize it....I failed.....if you recognize it too well.....I've definitely failed!! I need to mix a few things better but welcome feedback on production and all aspects. I think it probably needs more instrumentation/more interest but this is the first take. As for the ending - I didn't know how to end it.....I just know they don't like fade-outs! Thank you very much,Rachel

mikebarresi
Impressive
Impressive

Re: 80's instrumental listing......

Post by mikebarresi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:08 am

I don't think you have failed!!! you have a good foundation for a tune, just needs some more instrumentation and production.looking foward to hearing how this song evolves... keep us posted!mike

rld
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by rld » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:22 am

I'll guess Billie Jean...The main thing that I though when listening is the bass would sound fuller if it was an octave lower or transpose the whole song down some.Good start.

rlcmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by rlcmusic » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:30 am

Thanks Mike & RLD for your feedback. Yes! you've named that tune! I'll have a play with the key / bass - thanks for the suggestion. Tried to find a slightly 'dirtier' bass sound in general today but no luck yet. Thanks again, Rachel

rlcmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by rlcmusic » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:37 am

O.k...... bass is down an octave and has a new sound....and I've added some cheesy synths.....(are they too cheesy - even for 80s??!!) would appreciate any feedback on whether this track is going in the right direction!Thank you very much

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:17 pm

Rachel,The drums/beats seemed too far upfront for my taste. Synths were fine for me. Maybe I am clueless, but I didn't recognize the song. You say it is BILLY JEAN. Is that Michael Jackson's Billy Jean? I think I know that song pretty well, but I don't recognize it here .. like I said .. I am probably clueless.Dean

rlcmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by rlcmusic » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:05 am

Hi Dean,Thanks a lot for taking a listen . The Billie Jean thing was just taking the initial drums / bass 'rhythm' and a few other rhythmic parts and changing the melody. This goes into parts that are nothing to do with that song though - I was just trying to get an 80s groove / sound to start off with by using that song.The 'beats up front' thought probably wasn't a matter of taste...rather my terrific mixing skills having listened to it for far too long . (I've brought the drums and bass down as I heard it too having had a break!). I've listened to a couple of 80s tracks and the drums do come across very studio sounding / straight / stiff but that's just the tracks I've been listening to of course.Unfortunately for my mental state of health...I've worked on it some more and here's the new version...added a trumpet and doing my best as East West has arrived but literally had it a few hours!Would appreciate any feedback on whether people think that the sound effects are a complete "no no" or whether they'd be o.k left in. Any other comments on production/anything appreciated. Thank you.

rfrey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by rfrey » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:55 am

Hi Rachel,This is really good. You've obviously got a good vibe of this one for the listing what what I can tell. Nice structure,etc. The only thing that was jumpin' out at me that didn't sound '80's' was the trumpet. It sounds too real. I've been thinking about this listing as well so I've been pulling out my old favorites and listening to see if I could really hone in on the vibe. My current conclusion is that 80's music really went wild with synths and there were hardly any 'real' instruments in most songs. So, that being said, I might think about playing with another synth lead patch in place of the horn, or even a midi horn or something? Other than that, you've really nailed the rest of the instrumentation as far as my rookie ears can tell! Good luck on this one!RichP.S. Oh, I'm not sure about the laugh and scream samples though. Hey, for all I know it might be one of those elements that puts you in over another song though!

rlcmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by rlcmusic » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:20 am

Thanks a lot for your feedback Rich. I've taken everything on board and there may just have to be a version no. 2452 ! I think I may go back to the original synth idea...... I'd much prefer that than a 'seriously' sounding midi horn.I was originally going to submit 2 pieces but the other piece won't get finished in time now...so I'll concentrate on this one. I hope your 80s collection inspires you to put something together . Good luck if you do.Thanks again,Rachel

rfrey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by rfrey » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:26 am

Hi Rachel,This forum is so helpful when it comes to feedback. I know the feeling on the multiple revisions. I'm trying to come up with something for this listing (working on it now) but I may not make it for the deadline. I have been mostly playing with instrumentation ideas and just now finished up the structure so I'm way behind! Doesn't matter if I miss it though because I'm having so much fun working on this stuff.Good luck!Rich