80's Rock... al a Pat Benatar, Duran Duran etc...

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

80's Rock... al a Pat Benatar, Duran Duran etc...

Post by DannyWeber » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:29 pm

Hi folks, I hope everyone is well! Please take Care!!

Does this Rock Song fit this 80’s listing?

Thank you, as always.
Dan

Listing..
Lots of 1980s-Style SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a very busy Music Library with a great track record of placements in Films and TV shows! They're building a “1980s" compilation that will be distributed by a larger Music Library, and they need more material. We're glad they're reaching out to you guys to find it :-)

They’re looking for Songs in All Tempos that could be found on a 1980s playlist with artists like (but not limited to) Pat Benatar, Madonna, Depeche Mode, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the references below to get an idea of the sound and style they need for this request:

“Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar

“Like a Virgin” by Madonna

“Just Can't Get Enough” by Depeche Mode

“Girls Just Want To Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper

“Hungry Like The Wolf” by Duran Duran

TAXI Tip: From Pat Benatar-style "Rock" to Duran Duran-style "New Romantic" – many different styles and genres could potentially work for this request. Just make sure your submissions sound like they could have been hits in the '80s!

Submit original Songs that have a clear 1980s sound, style and approach. Your submissions should have era-appropriate instrumentation and production techniques that sound like they were plucked straight from that time period! Be sure your vocals are well performed from start to finish, with solid '80s-style deliveries.

NOTE: You can submit recently recorded material that sounds retro, or you can submit authentic vintage masters recorded in the 1980s.

Lyric themes can vary but should be era appropriate and universal in nature.

Lyrics..
Curly golden hair, the idol of affection
I keep my distance, for my protection
Should I make my move, is my timing right
Am I in the groove, maybe tonight

I watch you from a distance, I see you from the car
You leave me stranded, not knowing where you are
Is she on the move, is she out tonight
Who's she talking to, do they treat her right

Infatuation

I see her smiling, I see her winking
She is well aware of, just what I am thinking
Does she really see, does she really care
Will she follow me, anywhere

Infatuation

Ahhh Infatuation
Ahhh Infatuation
Ahhh Infatuation
Last edited by DannyWeber on Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 80's Rock... al a Pat Benatar, Duran Duran etc...

Post by lesmac » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:22 pm

Wow that's really cool Danny. The percussive sixteenth notes made me wonder. I'd pull them back a bit. Great vox and arrangement, very 80's to my ears

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 pm

2 thumbs-up... not so much Madonna-like... but probably a decent fit on a playlist with the others.
My ears on that is the lack of the signature synth sounds of that decade; but, I don't think that's a bad thing.
It sorta makes a hybrid fit with those, but reasonably current, too. Would THAT be a bad thing?
Anyway - I dig the song and the production of the track - sounds ROCK SOLID to these Old-Guy ears.
:P
I'll hit the replay button a few times.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:19 pm

lesmac wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:22 pm
Wow that's really cool Danny. The percussive sixteenth notes made me wonder. I'd pull them back a bit. Great vox and arrangement, very 80's to my ears
Hi Les,

This is a 90's vintage 2-track master recording and I don't have too many options for leveling the mix other than using eq.
Unless you have some other options. I would love to hear them?

Thanks.
Danny

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:26 pm

funsongs wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 pm
2 thumbs-up... not so much Madonna-like... but probably a decent fit on a playlist with the others.
My ears on that is the lack of the signature synth sounds of that decade; but, I don't think that's a bad thing.
It sorta makes a hybrid fit with those, but reasonably current, too. Would THAT be a bad thing?
Anyway - I dig the song and the production of the track - sounds ROCK SOLID to these Old-Guy ears.
Thanks Peter,

The synth sound is a Korg X3.
This whole track is pretty much a vintage master recording so, not a lot of options as far as changing the synth sounds.

Thanks.
Dan

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:46 pm

Unread post by DannyWeber » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:19 pm
lesmac wrote: ↑Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:22 pm
Hi Les,

This is a 90's vintage 2-track master recording and I don't have too many options for leveling the mix other than using eq.

Thanks.
Danny
I wouldn't sweat it unless you get screener feedback that says as much. It's probably just my personal taste.

IF you really needed to a dynamic EQ like Waves F6RTA could help?!

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:19 pm

lesmac wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:46 pm
Unread post by DannyWeber » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:19 pm
lesmac wrote: ↑Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:22 pm
Hi Les,

Thanks.
Danny
I wouldn't sweat it unless you get screener feedback that says as much. It's probably just my personal taste.

IF you really needed to a dynamic EQ like Waves F6RTA could help?!
I tried to tame the synth at the intro with eq automation.
I think that may have helped.
Thanks Les.

Danny

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:22 pm

funsongs wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 pm
I changed the title back to the original.
"The Infatuation" might work better than the other title.
Thanks for your comments, Ptr!

Dn