80`s style movie sound track

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JoeCurran
Active
Active

80`s style movie sound track

Post by JoeCurran » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:03 am

Hi, looking for some feedback /advice if this track is on the right track ( pardon the pun ).

https://soundcloud.com/user-999855695-294490640/shadows

Thanks in advance.

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Re: 80`s style movie sound track

Post by mwb2 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:26 am

Hi Joe, nice stuff! Very John Carpenter to my ears.

A few thoughts:

One, the mix is a bit quiet on my headphones when compared to the references, though could just be because this is unmastered.

For me personally I'd love to hear more of the countermelody that comes in around 1:00. Could be a fatter sound, or mixed wider, or just more layers or something, but I think it could sound great more prominent and more distinct from the other melody line.

Also I think a bit more space and width would sound great!

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton

JoeCurran
Active
Active

Post by JoeCurran » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi.
Thanks for taking the time to listen to the track. It is a bit John Carpenter sounding. Bit of Escape from New York, Halloween and a bit of Airwolf to weight up the 80’s sound. Showing my age with Airwolf especially.
Good points I will definitely look at those before I submit. Much appreciated.

Joe

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:53 pm

I agree with mwb2, but I don't think it's because your track is unmastered. The pulsating bass is at the right level. This seems to me like a mixing issue. Try decrescendo the bass after a few measures and bring all the other layers way up as the cue progresses. Of course, I'm not all that familiar with Carpenter's work, so take what I state here with a grain of salt.

It's a nice track, just need mix work.

JoeCurran
Active
Active

Post by JoeCurran » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:22 am

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Never thought of doing that with the kick sound, will give it a bash.
Does need a bit of tweaking mix wise before a bit of mastering .
Thanks for listening and posting feedback.

Joe

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arska » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:13 am

Yes I agree this sounds authentic 80s indeed, nice job. Also it's not fully stable but has the variety in it. Even 1 or 2 chord track can sound forward moving and this is very good example of layering and dynamic building.

nojanath

Post by nojanath » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi Joe,

I like the overall vibe this track has. It seems to match the vibe of the reference tracks really well. One mix thing that jumped out at me is that pulsing bass. I would dial that bass back a little so it's not so overpowering. It's really pumping on my headphones and monitors. Something else to think about is maybe shortening the track. That might help some since it's such a repetitive piece. (A note on my last return was "too repetitive" so maybe I'm paying too much attention to that haha)

Nicely done!

JT

JoeCurran
Active
Active

Post by JoeCurran » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks everybody for listening to the track and giving feedback. I think I took bits from all the advice and tweaked it accordingly. The kick was a bit of a wrestling match. Through the cans it was boomy but through my monitors sounded trebly so tried to get it in the middle somewhere.

I find composing for specific listings a bit like a golf swing, occasionally it goes right down the fairway with very little effort but not really knowing what I did to make it happen. Shadows was a bit like that. I have pasted the edited version below.

I was working on 3 tracks simultaneously for this listing Dark men went a bit to the right and Chasing comets definitely ended up in the bunker. I liked the end result but it just didn`t quite go where I was trying to push it.

Thanks for listening and the feedback good luck with forwards all.

Joe

https://soundcloud.com/user-999855695-2 ... dows-mp3rm

https://soundcloud.com/user-999855695-2 ... -men-mp3-1

https://soundcloud.com/user-999855695-2 ... mets-mp3rm