88 key weighted controller

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

88 key weighted controller

Post by mrdtman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:33 pm

Curious as to what others are using for a weighted controller. I have a Yamaha ES8. Love the feel but I don't think it takes advantage of my VST's. I have an AKAI Advance 49 controller & notice that when I use it I seem to get much more expression out of the instruments. It's not weighted. I play some things OK on it but much better on a weighted board overall. Was thinking about a Motif XF8 as they are newer & probably more up to date to use with current DAW Tech, & could use it when playing out when I have to.

Thoughts?

DT

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: 88 key weighted controller

Post by jonnybutter » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi DT,

This is the eternal question! I'm using an old Kurzweil right now, but I too need something better. Seriously considering getting one of these: http://vaxmidi.com/keyboards.html

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:32 am

My weighted controller is a Casio Privia PX3, but I woulda bought their PX5 had it been available at the time ; it's way better as a controller, more full-featured, better non-piano sounds, but the PX3 sounds great and feels nice, though not as nice as the Korg SV1, which is only 73 keys, so if a VI part requires bottom-octave keyswitching, I use the Casio, which has pitch control, but no modulation wheel; if I need both pitch and mod, it's back to the ancient Korg X5 for the horn and string lines, until I get the wind controller that's languishing on the wishlist. As a dedicated stage piano, the SV1 has neither pitch nor modulation, but nothing beats it for Rhodes, Wurlis and Clavs. These all have onboard sounds but are often used just to trigger VIs; the only controller-only keyboard I have is an Akai MPK Mini with limited-edition red-over-black reverse keys, which if I'm honest, is mostly just there to look really, really cool, but it's got knobs that can be routed to various instrument parameters or VST FX and/or DAW control, which I needed after my $1700 interface/control surface became a brick.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:04 am

I'm considering the Yamaha MOXF8 or the NI Komplete Kontrol 88

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:45 pm

If you already have a lot of Native Instruments stuff, or plan to get Komplete, I'd say the decision's been made for you.

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:04 am

FYI everyone. Yesterday I sent a message to a fellow TAXI member (Russ Landwher) about this topic because I thought I had seen so where he had the Komplete Kontrol 88. Send via messenger as we are FB friends. Not only did he respond to give me insight on his thoughts, but he did so via the video chat function, while he was at an event with his family.

I want to give a HUGE shoutout to Russ for his response. The fact he did so while otherwise engaged with family time shows the commitment/concern and just overall being a nice person to help out. I have not met Russ personally (except via video yesterday) but want to let everyone know that to me, it also reflects the sense of community I've come to experience since becoming involved with the TAXI community. :)

DT

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:01 am

I mighta been predisposed, cuz my father and brother-in-law are both Russells, but it seems to me, Taxi tends to attract a certain type; almost everybody involved in 'our thing' is a mensch of the first order, starting with the founder, and Russ Landwehr is a prime example.

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:05 pm

mojobone wrote:My weighted controller is a Casio Privia PX3, but I woulda bought their PX5 had it been available at the time ; it's way better as a controller, more full-featured, better non-piano sounds, but the PX3 sounds great and feels nice, though not as nice as the Korg SV1, which is only 73 keys, so if a VI part requires bottom-octave keyswitching, I use the Casio, which has pitch control, but no modulation wheel; if I need both pitch and mod, it's back to the ancient Korg X5 for the horn and string lines, until I get the wind controller that's languishing on the wishlist. As a dedicated stage piano, the SV1 has neither pitch nor modulation, but nothing beats it for Rhodes, Wurlis and Clavs. These all have onboard sounds but are often used just to trigger VIs; the only controller-only keyboard I have is an Akai MPK Mini with limited-edition red-over-black reverse keys, which if I'm honest, is mostly just there to look really, really cool, but it's got knobs that can be routed to various instrument parameters or VST FX and/or DAW control, which I needed after my $1700 interface/control surface became a brick.

I looked up the Privia PX 5s. It's in the running between my 3 choices right now: ROLAND A-88, KOMPLETE KONTROL S88, CASIO PX5s

Lipskimusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Lipskimusic » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 am

This is an interesting one. I am still using the "classic" M-Audio Keystation 88 but only because my studio desk keyboard drawer has only space for anything which is not more than 10cm in height :? So, I am constantly looking for an upgrade but the dimensions keep on breaking my neck. Needless to say, I love my keyboard drawer. I had a studio desk custom made because "my room" is so small and I am quite tall. This was one of the best investments work flow wise along with one of these LG widescreen monitors where you can either use the full width or split the screen. When 'realistic piano sounds' matter I record them separately on my Clavinova (connected to a small 11'' Macbook Air just to have the midi in Logic.

Cheers,
Matt

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:09 pm

I was in that jungle a year ago when my CME UF88 started to break down (some of the keys started to send out corrupt MIDI data). I had to trash it.

I was thinking about the CASIO as well, but, after a while the Arturia Keylab 88 won me over. I'm extremely satisfied with it. The keyboard is really well built with a real piano feel to it. I think it's Studiologic behind the keys and the rest of the tech is from Arturia.