A 1970s Return

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

paults
Impressive
Impressive

A 1970s Return

Post by paults » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:57 am

Please let me know your thoughts on why this one wasn’t forwarded to the 1970s listing:Thanks!Arena Rock Now:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... am=trueThe Listing:1970s-style original INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) are sought by the Owner of a Music Production Library for use in film/TV/commercials, etc. ALL GENRES associated with the decade of the 1970s will work as they're open to Soft Rock, Country Rock, Jazz Fusion, Jazz, Disco, Metal, Arena Rock, etc, etc. Great, authentic-sounding performances are a must - he needs material that sounds like it was lifted straight out of the 1950s. He needs tracks with button endings - no fade-outs. This production music veteran signed many TAXI writers to his previous company, and wants to repeat that same type of success with this venture as well. This company offers a standard exclusive deal. Great performances are essential. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Dec. 7, 2007. TAXI # Y071207IN

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: A 1970s Return

Post by anne » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:09 am

Hi there!!I like the really typical 70s elements in this - the doubled guitar line and, of course, the cowbell. The only "negative" that I saw that may cause a forwarding issue is that the track overall is fairly straight in its structure - the chord changes and the drum track don't offer a lot of build and release. The intro runs about 18 seconds, which is long, and then the breaks don't elevate the song - all of the elements are there, but I would do some editing and change up some of the chords. IF it were mine, which it is not, this is what I'd do with it:Cut the repeat out of the intro, bring the bass line in "bigger" to build some excitement, keep all of the guitar lead work, cut the break down to feature one instrument (guitar chords OR bass / drum but not both parts during the break) and, if you go with the chords, do something a little different than the rest of the song there to "build" the song. I don't think the track is bad or not broadcast quality - I just think it needs more "umph" to build interest and give the different parts a reason to be there. Nice nice nice guitar lead!

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:44 am

Thanks for the compliment on the solo It was fun to play early 70s-style for a change.Thanks for the arrangement suggestions,too. The balance between too much variation, and not enough can still elude me for "non-song" listings.

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:52 am

I don't know if I'm correct on everything, but I know it took me a while to get the hang on that same balance too. I was kind of puzzled on an instrumental critique that suggested having more of a melody ... After I asked around on the board it was more of an arrangement issue than a melody issue which is how yours struck me - good guts, just cut back on or create more musical interest with the other bits. Steve a Gilbert is a great help for this type of listening if you want to get his attention.

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:56 am

other than the opening riff is too much like Bad Company there is no reason to reurn itmy complaint with taxi has always been that they do not give us enough information about what they want. if this cut aint 70's then taxi aint no A&R firm.

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:26 am

Quote:he needs material that sounds like it was lifted straight out of the 1970s. This is why you didn't get the forward. The song itself had all the necessary 70 stylings, but the recording was too modern sounding.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:48 am

Quote:my complaint with taxi has always been that they do not give us enough information about what they want. Believe me, you won't get a more sympethetic ear than mine when it comes to the topic of lack of specifics when a company is looking for music but it's not a "Taxi-specific thing". Taxi can't provide more than what's given to them but they actually do a pretty good job of drawing information out of the listing clients (sometimes equivalent to pulling teeth).I've mentioned these before but these are actual full quotes from projects I've worked on outside of Taxi, the total extent of the infomation that I was given to try to write a track of music...==========================================="Funky, Country/Americana with a little bit of Rock""I was thinking sound wise simple key tones, which couldget faster during the flash backs in the school yardwhich are now black and white. Then for the credits atune that consists of the those tones. I hope this answers some of your questions.""I was thinking maybe something really drawn out even odd if it works. Something that represents an echo I guess is what I'm after"===========================================You'll have to admit, compared to these crystal-clear descriptions, the Taxi listings are pretty informational. The first one above was my very first project for Harpo Productions. I was like "You're kidding, right??!! This is all I get to go on???". Sometimes it's better but generally speaking, the info in the Taxi listings is about as good as it gets anywhere. I keep reminding myself... "SOMEBODY is going to get it (the concept, the forward, the deal) so unless everybody misses it I probably can't say much. If my team lost because it was raining, well, it was raining on the other team too. Anyway, I guess we'll all just slog through the universal lack of specifics together. One luxury here that we don't have in the "outside world", we can always post in advance if a listing is vague. I have and always I've gotten insight from someone here that's helped out.Good seeing you at the Rally!Dave

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:06 am

I'm with Dave on this. Most clients don't know music and musical terms and vague descriptions seem to be the norm. What I try to do is to get some "a la's" out of them, which is what TAXI does. The "a la's" are a huge help when trying to decipher a listing. On a recent Harpo assignment the description was "Ambient/Documentary" which is pretty vague but the boss went on to say "like Discovery Channel or National Geographic channel". Now that narrows it down considerably. It's still a big category but with the "a la" it made it a bit easier to get close to the target.As composers, I think we need to develop our listening skills outside of the music realm when dealing with clients. This may mean creating a new language in collaboration with them or learning what questions to ask to get clarity from them. What this means for TAXI listings is learning to read between the lines and paying close attention to the "a las" when researching them. And, or course, bounce it off the forum!Cheers,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:34 pm

I have to back up what Dave and Mazz said - I think after a couple of critiques, the language they use in their replies also becomes a little more clear. Remember we are musicians learning to speak their language, and every company has a different dialect, and some of them don't even speak it themselves.

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:11 pm

Since this thread has been revived, any other comments on the piece?Thanks!Paul