A bit confused at the review

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

A bit confused at the review

Post by BradGray » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:23 pm

Hey Passengers,

I'm a little confused at my latest rejection tonight, as I really thought this one would have made it through the gates. My submission Warm Embrace

In all honesty, I'm somewhat frustrated at this review. I thought what I had created something that was very '70s feel, with a touch of strings. If the mix is off and muddy, I can look to correct that. But the remaining feedback is a bit confusing. They did not like the strings, and prefer a different 70s sound? Should I have ONLY crafted a single A section, that went on for two minutes? I did add in a little melody in different parts, but the listing also said "sparse and simple"; so I attempted to do just that.

The feedback below is everything I received for the piece. For the first time none of the other checkboxes were actually checked off, which is good, but still rejected. Fix the mix and find different 70s sounds is what this feels like.

The feedback I've received:

What I like most about this song
Nice mellow feel.

I think you could improve this song by
Adding a motif/riff would help complete your track. "Craft your submissions around a singular motif and mood, and add and subtract layers of instrumentation to create a little dynamic variation and some forward momentum."

The mix is sounding murky in the low end and the string pad could be replaced with another sound that would be along the 70's mood.

I returned or forwarded this song because
The track is in need of revisions in the mix clarity and arrangement motif. The mix is sounding murky in the low end and the string pad could be replaced with another sound that would be along the 70's mood.

Any tips or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The listing was:
A Wide Range of MINIMALISTIC '70s'-Style INSTRUMENTAL CUES in ALL GENRES is needed by a successful International Music Licensing Company with global distribution through a huge music conglomerate!

We purposely passed on including references as this client is open to material in all (commercially viable) styles and genres that were popular in the 1970s.

NOTE: This company is NOT looking for Vintage material. They want recently-recorded tracks that capture the style and sound of '70s' music.

Quoting the Music Library: “We are looking for Cues that are sparse and somewhat simple. Only 4 to 6 instruments maximum. Keep them simple and try to introduce some edit points along the tracks. Very high bar, in terms of realism. Meaning, if any of the instruments sound too 'MIDI' then the Cues should be rejected.”

Please submit well-crafted Instrumental Cues that epitomize the music of the 1970s in a sparse, simple, and minimalistic way. Craft your submissions around a singular motif and mood, and add and subtract layers of instrumentation to create a little dynamic variation and some forward momentum. If you're planning on using Virtual Instruments or samples, we'd suggest adding some real, organic instruments to the mix to help your Cues sound more authentic. Also, any virtual instruments or samples that you do use shouldn't sound stiff, obviously quantized, or MIDI-Driven.

TAXI Tip: If you plan on using drums or a drumset in your Cues, keep them on the more subdued side – remember, they're looking for material that's minimalistic and simple! Also, DO NOT add sound effects like vinyl clicks or pops to make your recordings sound old – this company wants clean and clear-sounding recordings.

Click here to check out the List of Billboard Hot 100 #1 singles of the 1970s to get inspired.

Your submissions need to be around 2 minutes long (nothing that runs 3 or 4 minutes, please) with Non-Faded, Buttoned endings. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: A bit confused at the review

Post by Kolstad » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:05 am

Hey man, sounds are good, and I can hear the 70s vibe.

When listening it sounds like a bunch of stacked chords, though, so Im with the screener on a lack of motif. The track seems to lack that basic musical idea and needs more development. I lost intrest after 15sec, so it definitely needs more to engage a listener.

Definitely not do the same just running a two minute a section. They want more music, not less.

I could suggest for next time, that you start with the musical idea/ motif, and develop the track from there. That way you can be sure you got something, and it may be easier to create variation and intrest throughout.

It is not always easier to find the musical idea once you have done a bunch of harmony stuff, as it is very suggestive. Hans Zimmer (the film composer) forces himself to come up with a musical idea before he even touches his piano, as he says he otherwise would rely too much on muscle memory, repeating the same stuff over and over.

You can obviously play and hit the right vibe, imo. So keep it up man.
Ceo of my own life

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:38 am

At 1:50 or so, you have an electric guitar doing a solo. I think this is the riff that you need to start off the piece. There is no melody in the instrumental for most of the track. If you put the solo at the start and build it from there, the track would be much improved. I like the chord progressions.

Best of luck on your track!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:50 am

Without reading any other replies first....

Yes I am with the screener the mix is pretty woolly ...just to check I threw Izotope Tonal Balance Control over it and even on the Bass Heavy preset it's got more low end in it than those averaged references

You can also see it's not got much going on in the midrange

To me this just sounds like a backing track from a song that's got the singer missing...where is the lead part ? I expected it to come in around 17s but it never came..it was pretty boring to be honest, just very straight chords playing not very interesting patterns. Strings sound very static.

What were the reference tracks for this ? The best 70s songs are much more engaging.

Th last section from around 1.33 is better , if it started out like that and then weaved some stuff in and out it would be much better IMHO

Mark

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:27 am

Kolstad wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:05 am
Hey man, sounds are good, and I can hear the 70s vibe.

When listening it sounds like a bunch of stacked chords, though, so Im with the screener on a lack of motif. The track seems to lack that basic musical idea and needs more development. I lost intrest after 15sec, so it definitely needs more to engage a listener.

Definitely not do the same just running a two minute a section. They want more music, not less.

I could suggest for next time, that you start with the musical idea/ motif, and develop the track from there. That way you can be sure you got something, and it may be easier to create variation and intrest throughout.

It is not always easier to find the musical idea once you have done a bunch of harmony stuff, as it is very suggestive. Hans Zimmer (the film composer) forces himself to come up with a musical idea before he even touches his piano, as he says he otherwise would rely too much on muscle memory, repeating the same stuff over and over.

You can obviously play and hit the right vibe, imo. So keep it up man.
Thanks Kolstad.

Appreciate the feedback and additional perspective. If I've lost you after 15, something is wrong for sure.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:27 am

Robertj64 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:38 am
At 1:50 or so, you have an electric guitar doing a solo. I think this is the riff that you need to start off the piece. There is no melody in the instrumental for most of the track. If you put the solo at the start and build it from there, the track would be much improved. I like the chord progressions.

Best of luck on your track!
Thanks Robert.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:37 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:50 am
Without reading any other replies first....

Yes I am with the screener the mix is pretty woolly ...just to check I threw Izotope Tonal Balance Control over it and even on the Bass Heavy preset it's got more low end in it than those averaged references

You can also see it's not got much going on in the midrange

To me this just sounds like a backing track from a song that's got the singer missing...where is the lead part ? I expected it to come in around 17s but it never came..it was pretty boring to be honest, just very straight chords playing not very interesting patterns. Strings sound very static.

What were the reference tracks for this ? The best 70s songs are much more engaging.

Th last section from around 1.33 is better , if it started out like that and then weaved some stuff in and out it would be much better IMHO

Mark
Thanks Mark.

I do agree with you and the screener that the low end was far too muddy/woolly; but it was warm. ;-) lol jk. But yes, I don't disagree with the screener, or you on the mix being off; especially when presented with visual evidence. I hear what you and the others are saying on the lack of real melody and/or motif, making it drag on. If I've bored the three of you, it's pretty clear why it did not move past the screener.

The references were a wide array of songs, that just referenced the billboard top 100, leaving it very wide open. While I think I hit the vibe, the vibe's not enough to carry it. I will go back and build out a proper melody / motif and make it more interesting. Fix the mix, including the strings. I need strings. Late 70s were all about the disco strings. =)