A Bit Disappointed.

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: A Bit Disappointed.

Post by billg » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:06 am

Folks, all of this is nothing more or less that the over the top marketing that everybody does these days. It seems like we'd all be used to it by now. I'm not gonna blow up until I receive one of those "audio cards" that screams "BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! CALL NOW!!!!!!"And it's REALLY gonna piss me off if the "call now" flashes white to red !

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:06 am

Dec 18, 2008, 10:56pm, mojobone wrote:RE: "FINAL NOTICE", It might be that a chatty mail carrier could ruin someone's reputation by spreading rumors (or is it rumours?) of impending financial collapse, but does that seem at all likely to anyone? Nearly every periodical does this; I get "Final Notice" mailings in big red letters from companies I've never even done business with before. Maybe there ought to be a law, but until there is, perhaps we should try to grow a thick skin. (rather than a thick skull) I'd rather not let a subscription run out, in most cases, and if Martha Stewart does it, mustn't it then be a Good Thing?Firstly mojo,to put Final Notice on a letter (or for arguments sake) to have a van sitting outside your house with Debt Collector written on it is against the law in this country.It is Harassment.(Protection From Harassment Act 1997.s2 Crime And Disorder Act 1998 s 32) if your interested which I very much doubt, also I am in a position of civic responsibility and my character has to be and appear to be beyond question.So to put it another way you are completely wrong!I make it a policy that if I'm not sure about something I don't say anything.Works for me. HTH
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:43 am

This is a good point, Michael, about the difference in laws and cultural norms. I highly doubt that anyone in the US would know that an advertisement that is the "norm" here could be illegal elsewhere. I'm glad that this came out and definitely think its a good idea to pass it on to taxi.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:48 pm

Dec 19, 2008, 5:06am, michael11 wrote:Dec 18, 2008, 10:56pm, mojobone wrote:RE: "FINAL NOTICE", It might be that a chatty mail carrier could ruin someone's reputation by spreading rumors (or is it rumours?) of impending financial collapse, but does that seem at all likely to anyone? Nearly every periodical does this; I get "Final Notice" mailings in big red letters from companies I've never even done business with before. Maybe there ought to be a law, but until there is, perhaps we should try to grow a thick skin. (rather than a thick skull) I'd rather not let a subscription run out, in most cases, and if Martha Stewart does it, mustn't it then be a Good Thing?Firstly mojo,to put Final Notice on a letter (or for arguments sake) to have a van sitting outside your house with Debt Collector written on it is against the law in this country.It is Harassment.(Protection From Harassment Act 1997.s2 Crime And Disorder Act 1998 s 32) if your interested which I very much doubt, also I am in a position of civic responsibility and my character has to be and appear to be beyond question.So to put it another way you are completely wrong!I make it a policy that if I'm not sure about something I don't say anything.Works for me. HTHThat's why the word "rumours" was in the post; cultural differences, mate. I suspected the U K might indeed have such a law; if Taxi is in violation of such, I'm sure they'll want to know. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Ladies and Gents,Sorry if the Final Notice thing has upset you. It's true that I had no idea that it could be taken so differently in another country. In the U.S., it's very common.We start sending out renewal notices 90 days before your membership runs out. We send one at 60 days, another at 30 days, and guess which one the vast majority of renewals come from? Yep, good old "Final Notice." Human nature I guess.I started using the Final Notice version when we began to get hundreds of people a year asking for the current member renewal price ($100 off!) well AFTER their memberships had lapsed. The reason always given?"I didn't know my membership was running out."We've got about 6 months of those envelopes left in inventory, but I will find another way to say it when they are gone. How about, "We know you're prone to procrastination, so we'd like to beg you to get off your tush and act NOW!" Just kidding!!!!!!!!!! I'll find something nicer This brings me to another suggestion we've heard hundreds of times, but I've been reluctant to do it. Maybe I'm wrong. Please give your feedback here.The majority of services store credit card numbers and automatically bill renewal fees. They DO send you a notice that you are about to be auto billed and give you the option to check, "Please don't renew my membership."I would have expected that people might be offended by that method, but it has become very common as Internet commerce has boomed. Maybe I've been wrong on this decision and should make it easier to renew (with at least a couple of reminders and options to decline).Your thoughts?P.S. With all the new features we'll be rolling out in 2009 that will make using our members' music SO much easier for the industry folks, we are certain that EVERYBODY will want to renew on a lifelong basis! That was a joke!!! Not the features part... just the certainty part We're also building some really nifty new stuff that will make submitting and tracking your successes much easier as well. Just keep making great music, and we'll keep coming up with cool ideas to get more of it used!Let me know how you feel about the billing idea.Thanks and happy holidays to you all,ML

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by claire » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:26 pm

oooh - does that mean in 2009 the country industry folks are actually going to get some forwards from Taxi? I just might renew...Claire

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Dec 21, 2008, 6:26pm, claire wrote:oooh - does that mean in 2009 the country industry folks are actually going to get some forwards from Taxi? I just might renew...ClaireI think that's completely up to you and your songs!!
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Dec 21, 2008, 6:26pm, claire wrote:oooh - does that mean in 2009 the country industry folks are actually going to get some forwards from Taxi? Yeah, that's never happened before... http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... =9865Truth is it's VERY tough and Claire knows how to do it.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Well, my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I posted my reply to Claire, I know she can do it if anyone can.Emoticons added!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Dec 21, 2008, 6:18pm, TAXI wrote:This brings me to another suggestion we've heard hundreds of times, but I've been reluctant to do it. Maybe I'm wrong. Please give your feedback here.The majority of services store credit card numbers and automatically bill renewal fees. They DO send you a notice that you are about to be auto billed and give you the option to check, "Please don't renew my membership."I would have expected that people might be offended by that method, but it has become very common as Internet commerce has boomed. Maybe I've been wrong on this decision and should make it easier to renew (with at least a couple of reminders and options to decline).Your thoughts?Michael, I would not be in favour of an automatic renewal of TAXI & dispatch membership on my credit card. Given the fact that I have to deal with a bouncing exchange rate, I would prefer to renew my membership on a date when the exchange is in my favour. For example, if my membership had been charged to my card on Oct 1st, it would have cost me about $360 to renew. On Nov 1st, it would have cost me $455 to renew. That's nearly $100 difference - that's a lot.In addition, I can't speak for everyone else, but I am trying to reduce my debt load and might prefer to pay my membership fees, as I often have in the past, via bank draft rather than putting such a large charge on my credit card.Just an idea - I'd like to get a revewal reminder when I log into my hosting account. TAXI added the 'custom critique' to the "Hosting" menu, perhaps "Renew Membership" could be added as well. Of course, I know every member isn't online but just a thought.Have a great holiday season
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website