ShaunS
Active
Active

a couple of quesions from a 'Newbie'

Post by ShaunS » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:25 am

Hi everybody,
My name is ShaunS
I currently live in Australia.
I'm new to Taxi and this is the first time I've used the forum.
just a question that someone might be able to help me with:
The custom Critique - if you choose to use this, is it done when you submit music for a posting? (so instead of 5$ per piece it becomes $20) Or is it just a stand-alone situation, eg where you want a piece of music critiqued, but maybe aren't yet ready to lodge it in response to a brief.
and just one other question, it seems like Ezy Drummer 2 is the Ants pants for drums, is that the general consensus? I use Presonus Studio One Professional, its quite good, but I find the drums a bit hit and miss.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: a couple of quesions from a 'Newbie'

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:17 am

ShaunS wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:25 am
The custom Critique - if you choose to use this, is it done when you submit music for a posting? (so instead of 5$ per piece it becomes $20) Or is it just a stand-alone situation, eg where you want a piece of music critiqued, but maybe aren't yet ready to lodge it in response to a brief.
It is a standalone service but you might not get it back in time for an upcoming listing depending on the deadline. You can use it as a general feedback or some folks use after a rejection to see what more they could have done.
ShaunS wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:25 am
and just one other question, it seems like Ez Drummer 2 is the Ants pants for drums, is that the general consensus? I use Presonus Studio One Professional, its quite good, but I find the drums a bit hit and miss.
We're actually up to EZdrummer3 but yes they are very good, there is also Addictive Drums2 which is similar

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:54 am

Welcome Shaun,

The Customs are also very useful to get feedback on songs before you go to the trouble of producing them. Some people send in very basic demos to find out things like, "is the hook strong enough," "Does this need a bridge," "I'm thinking of pitching it for XYZ genre, does it sound like that genre?"

And yes, EZ Drummer is used and liked by many people. Addictive and Slate get props as well.

ML

ShaunS
Active
Active

Post by ShaunS » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:34 am

Thanks for the response
ShaunS

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:50 am

admin wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:54 am
Welcome Shaun,

The Customs are also very useful to get feedback on songs before you go to the trouble of producing them. Some people send in very basic demos to find out things like, "is the hook strong enough," "Does this need a bridge," "I'm thinking of pitching it for XYZ genre, does it sound like that genre?"

And yes, EZ Drummer is used and liked by many people. Addictive and Slate get props as well.

ML
+1
As a pure songwriter, I've done it, sending in some of my rough work tapes to get feedback on just the songwriting. It' especially important for those who intend to spend money to get their song produced. I can't tell you how many times people rush to spend $500-$1000 on a pro demo before the song is good enough to pitch. And $20 is WAY less expensive than any critique service out there.

It's also valuable for any type of track even an instrumental cue. Is the production up to snuff? Do the instruments sound dated? Does it build enough? How is the motif? And so on...

The most important thing to do if you order a custom is state your goal for the track and include a list of questions.

Also, the peer to peer section of this forum is a great place to get feedback.

Good luck!
:D Casey

ShaunS
Active
Active

Post by ShaunS » Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:48 am

thanks Casey

ShaunS
Active
Active

Post by ShaunS » Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:52 am

Folks if anyone can answer this I would appreciate it -
when I download a piece to my profile page
there are a few boxs to tick
one says 'can the public listen to this'
the other is
'can the public download this'

Im not too sure about these -
does everybody just tick these two boxes, is there any downside to doing this?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:37 am

ShaunS wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:52 am
Folks if anyone can answer this I would appreciate it -
when I download a piece to my profile page
there are a few boxs to tick
one says 'can the public listen to this'
the other is
'can the public download this'

Im not too sure about these -
does everybody just tick these two boxes, is there any downside to doing this?
It depends on what you want the general public to be able to access, find in a search, etc. I generally don't check the download box since that might support internet piracy. If you want visitors to your page to see a track, you should make it public. But let's say, it's a work in process, maybe not something that best represents you, etc. Then you might keep it private.

Considerations:
If you want to share a link to your song from your Taxi page, such as here on the forum, you have to make it public. People make that mistake here all the time when posting a song on peer-to-peer for feedback.
If you are submitting a song for review on Taxi TV, you must send a link that allows download. In that case, I would check download. But after that's all over, I suggest un-checking.

HTH
:D Casey

ShaunS
Active
Active

Post by ShaunS » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:37 am

thanks Casey
appreciate the response
ShaunS