A few libraries or lots of libraries?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

A few libraries or lots of libraries?

Post by ResonantTone » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:52 am

Hey Taxi friends,

Just wanted to see if anyone had some thoughts about this and would like to weigh in. I'm in the process of figuring out the smartest approach to my music in regards to how it is distributed to libraries.

I've heard some people on here say that it's important to keep growing the amount of libraries that you partner with, and spread your music around as much as possible. On the other hand, I've heard people say that it's smarter to have a small number of libraries (2-3) that you invest as much of your music into that you can. I can see pros/cons in both approaches, but I'm still too green to know if what I think about it is anywhere close to reality..

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Re: A few libraries or lots of libraries?

Post by jdkotaska » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:19 am

I would say that more library access is better so that you have more options, but then focus most of your attention on the handful of libraries that seem to be the best fit for you. Over time you'll naturally lean toward libraries that are asking for what you are most interested in providing, as well as those that seem to have the most success with placements for your tracks. That being said, the shotgun approach to libraries will probably yield the best results initially.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:05 am

More libraries. 2-3 won't yield the reach and opportunities that 20 will. More opportunities = more placements = more money.

~~Matt

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:16 am

When I first started writing production music I would submit to about 23 libraries. Most of them are gone now. But it gave me the opportunity to find out which libraries were worth my time and effort. Today I write for 2 exclusive libraries every month. I also work with 3 non-exclusive libraries which send me request a few times a year. I would likely pick one more exclusive library to work with, but no more. The ones I have keep me very busy.