A Fragile Past - Peer feedback for Sad Piano and Strings

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RMarshall

A Fragile Past - Peer feedback for Sad Piano and Strings

Post by RMarshall » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:20 am

Hello all,

My first time using the forums - exciting! I've been working on this particular track in mind to submit to the listing below. Feedback before I do would be very much appreciated for a Taxi newbie. Thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/rachel-marshall- ... al_sharing

does it capture the mood?
how is the mix/levels?
how is the 'developmental arc?

Listing S230125NO

SAD PIANO & STRINGS INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Music Licensing Company that's secured tons of great placements with Major Network TV Shows, Films, Commercials, and Video Games. This Company has signed many TAXI members over many years and has garnered lots of placements for them!

They're on the hunt for melancholy Instrumentals in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

"Musica Universalis" by Daniel Hope

"Immortal, Universal" by Alex Baranowski

"irreplaceable (orchestral)" by Chad Lawson

Send them emotionally moving Instrumental Cues that utilize Piano and Strings as their only instrumentation and conjure up feelings of sadness and sorrow. Your submissions should have wistful melodies, top-notch instrumentation, and engaging arrangements with plenty of dynamics, forward motion, and interest. Please be sure your production is polished and any virtual piano or string instruments you may choose to use are realistic sounding and state-of-the-art.

TAXI Tip: We suggest trying to keep your submissions on the simpler side, melodically. Your job is more about establishing a melancholy mood rather than winning "Composer of the Year"!

Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take, and have non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: A Fragile Past - Peer feedback for Sad Piano and Strings

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:37 am

Hi, although the listing text contains important information, the best way to judge the mood and style of the music being requested is to listen to the ref tracks. For readers to do that they would have to search for the references, so you could make it easier (and you'd be more likely to get comments) if you help readers by pasting the reference tracks links.

From a quick listen to the first ref I get a very delicate and emotional track where very simple (on note) piano counters the main emotive violin, and the orchestra supports them both without getting in the way.

From the second ref I get something quite similar, although the piano is a little more aggressive and the orchestral support is more of a drone.

The third ref is more of a gentle arpeggiated solo piano piece but with delicate string support.

As a general point, it often helps if you can take the common elements of all the references by triangulating between them, so you get the best guide. It not always easy, and in this case you can hear two different approaches, and that would tell me that either is acceptable, but the delicacy and sad emotion is key.

My opinion, for what its worth.....
I think you track is basically in line with the first 2 refs and captures the simple piano well, but the lead instrument is not so emotive and is masked a lot by the underlying orchestra which is too prominent. I think the sound of the track is good but would suggest sitting the supporting orchestra back quite a way to allow the lead to breathe and impart more emotion. The supporting orchestra is also a little static and perhaps would benefit from some ebb and flow (use CC controllers) to add to the emotional impact.

One VITAL think that you appear to have missed in the listing text though is "Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take". Your track is 2:35! I think that would be sufficient for a return, regardless of how good the track is. PLEASE READ THE SPEC, and did you watch this week's Taxi TV? :). I would try to edit it to somewhere between say 1:55 and 2:05 if you don't want to take that risk.

Good luck :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

RMarshall

Post by RMarshall » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:20 pm

Hi Graham

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and give some feedback. I agree - I’ll have a rethink on the melody to give it some more structure, and lower the strings too.

Fingers crossed,

Thanks again
Rachel

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:47 pm

Hi Rachel,
Don't forget the length too. Seriously, try not to give the screeners any reason to return your piece, and the length is the easier to get right than the music.
Best of luck! :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

eandersonmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by eandersonmusic » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:29 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:37 am

One VITAL think that you appear to have missed in the listing text though is "Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take". Your track is 2:35! I think that would be sufficient for a return, regardless of how good the track is. PLEASE READ THE SPEC, and did you watch this week's Taxi TV? :). I would try to edit it to somewhere between say 1:55 and 2:05 if you don't want to take that risk.
This is very true, I just had a return because of length. They liked everything about the track, but it was 2:16, not 2 mins.
Be mindful of every aspect of your submissions!

Erik
Erik Anderson ~ Composer, Producer and Musician
Website • https://www.eandersonmusic.com
Taxi page • https://www.taxi.com/members/erikanderson
Spotify • https://open.spotify.com/artist/78FpvfK ... 0MClpl1zqA