a la what?????

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: a la what?????

Post by matto » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:49 pm

Quote:That's an excellent point Superflux. TAXI should state specifically in listings whether they are looking for soundalikes or someone that appeals to the same demographic so that there can be no confusion about the issue. You should bring this to their attention.No A&R guy I've ever met would admit he's looking for soundalikes...even if he is. OTOH with film and tv listings you can be pretty sure they're looking for soundalikes most of the time. It is my belief Taxi tries hard to be as specific as possible within the confines of what's realistically feasible. But remember pitching is not a science, and there will never be a bullet proof checklist you can use to make sure your submissions are on target. You really need to "get a feel for it". And of course there will always be those situations where you misinterpret a listing and thus miss a (perceived) opportunity.A zen like attitude is best in this case .matto

superflux
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by superflux » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:21 pm

Quote:I totally agree. When they ask for artists in the vein of Beck which element of Beck are they looking for?His music style is pretty diverse.Maybe they're looking for someone that canbust some of those groovy dance moves of his.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:22 pm

Speaking about Taxi improving listings, the latest listings seem to have more specifics about what kind of deals are being offered. That's useful info.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:36 pm

Just when I was incorporating the term "a la" into my vocabulary, they've gone and changed it. Now it's "in the general vein of" and "along the lines of". I guess it's meant to be more conversational?

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am

I've learned some new terminology by comparing critiques to listings:1. "alternative" -- something other than what you are submitting.2. "edgy" -- something other than what you are submitting.3. "a la" (aka "in the vein of") something this artist might do if they thought about it.4. Any other descriptor -- we will know it when we hear it. I am beginning to think that writing an on-target listing might be harder to do than writing the songs that fill the bill. Actually, I find Taxi's listings are pretty darn good, but it does take a while to get to an decent understanding of them, and I find myself with substantial egg on the face every once in a while, saying "why didn't I get that?". But it is a process and I have truly gotten a LOT of valuable feedback from the critiques.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:45 am

Yeah, and I've been told "You write clever and insightful lyrics," and in the next sentence, "it isn't country"! I guess I should use dumber words...? And I was wondering what "edgy" meant!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:54 am

Quote:Just when I was incorporating the term "a la" into my vocabulary, they've gone and changed it. Now it's "in the general vein of" and "along the lines of". I guess it's meant to be more conversational?Yeah... I went to a diner last nite and for dessert I ordered apple pie in the general vein of ice cream... Got a lot of blank stares a la cAsEy

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:00 am

I ordered Apple in the vein of ice creamAnd then I slipped into a bad dream.Seeing blank Stares instead of pie,and I just sat and wondered why.Okay Casey, whip up a little music for that. Old Goat, get your magic rhymer and find some dumber words. We got ourselves a countryu classic brewing.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:37 am

With ice cream running through my veinsI faced the apple pie alone. Guess I was too stoned to drive,So I took a waitress home. Naw, too surreal. I used to write really stupid lyrics when I was drinkn', but I don't remember where I put them.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:13 pm

pie a la modea la mode means of the dayi want to mean more to youbut i can't have my wayat least i can always orderpie a la modepie ala ala ala mode