A new arrival from Edinburgh, and my first upload

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlasdairEaston
Active
Active

A new arrival from Edinburgh, and my first upload

Post by AlasdairEaston » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:10 am

Hello everyone from a cool but very sunny Edinburgh, Scotland. I've been reading these forums for a while, enjoying the chat and learning a lot. Now I'm a Taxi member it's time I said hello properly. I'm really looking forward to contributing to the community and being an active member. I can see the benefits to us all from friendly help and support, and respectful, honest feedback. I hope to be part of that.

A long, long time ago someone gave me an early copy of Cubase. It amazed me, but I had no way of really using it - my computer was totally hopeless and so was I. I had very little knowledge of music tech and didn't know where to get any. It was a constant frustration, even to a happy techie like me. I spent more time trying to solve technical issues than doing music (bet that sounds familiar, even today!). Then there was a long hiatus of musical near-hibernation (like, 20 years) until someone mentioned Reaper. I got curious, then I got a computer that was capable, and at the same time life opened a couple of opportunities. So here I am, immersing myself in music, music tech, production and writing, and loving it all.

I'm learning all the tools and working to find my musical voice, given what I have available to me. As well as Reaper, my keyboard controller and a small stack of VIs and sample libraries, I have a bass guitar (first love), acoustic and electric guitars, an old Roland TD-12 electronic drum kit and a couple of shakers and the like. So I now need to combine my tastes, abilities and limitations with my tools to find what I'm good for. Let's see what pops out!

By way of introduction and as a first public effort, I've uploaded a track to my profile. It's a short piece intended as a kind of cinematic Celtic cue. I've called it "Homeward" and it's currently the only thing in my member's page: https://www.taxi.com/members/AlasdairEaston

I'm at the start of this journey and I'm definitely here to learn, so all feedback is welcome.

Hope you’re all healthy and stay that way! Nice to be here.

All the best,
Alasdair.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: A new arrival from Edinburgh, and my first upload

Post by Zaychi » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:18 pm

Wow, that's a familiar story... I could have written it except the Edinburgh part.

Howdie from a fellow newbie, anyway.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:33 am

Welcome Alasdair

Sounds like you have everything you need to get going. Your Celtic type cue sounds like a nice start.

Be sure to write to the Listings and the mantra of Write-Submit-Forget-Repeat. The journey to success in sync licensing is a long one and everything moves at a glacial pace. Unless it's urgent...then they probably want it yesterday.

Good Luck !

Mark

AlasdairEaston
Active
Active

Post by AlasdairEaston » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:40 am

Hi Zaychi and Mark. Thanks for the welcome. :)

Alasdair.

chrismh99

Post by chrismh99 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:48 am

Welcome Alasdair from strangely sunny Swansea. Someone else who will have to be up late to watch Taxi TV live! Nice work on the Celtic cue.

AlasdairEaston
Active
Active

Post by AlasdairEaston » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:48 am

Hi Tom. Leith! Nice. There's a stack of great restaurants down there, good pubs and good live music venues, too. And The Malt Whisky Society. Fingers crossed for them all. Hope they can come through this somehow. If you lived there a while ago you'd see some changes today. Gentrified in places but still good old Leith in others.

I'm not often down that way though. I'm on the Southside, in Comiston.

I was going to ask where you're living now but I spotted your location listed as "Nowitzki's place of birth". 'Fraid I had to google him (sorry!). Wurzburg? Es ist sehr schön! Love Bavaria.

Cheers,
Alasdair.

AlasdairEaston
Active
Active

Post by AlasdairEaston » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:51 am

Hi Chris. I've had a couple of great weekends in Wales but never in Swansea. Am I missing out?

Thanks for the kind words on my celtic cue. Hope the sun's still shining on you.

Cheers,
Alasdair.

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:06 am

Welcome Alasdair.

Nice feeling to your Celtic cue
good luck

Don

steveprobst
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by steveprobst » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:20 am

Hi Alasdair, yes you ARE on your way! real nice sounding track.
Steve Probst

===========================
Songwriter/Composer
Touring Vocalist/Guitarist
http://SteveProbst.net
https://soundcloud.com/steveprobst

AlasdairEaston
Active
Active

Post by AlasdairEaston » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:52 am

Thanks Don and thanks Steve for the kind welcome.

Cheers,
Alasdair.