A Public Domain Hymn Try

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: A Public Domain Hymn Try

Post by ibanez468 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:43 am

Quote:Hi - I was surprised to see you entering a Christmas carol into this! I was thinking that they'd be looking more for things like 'How Great Thou Art'. Good for you for thinking outside the box.Ya' know, I always considered it a Christmas Carol too, but upon looking up public domain hymns on a dozen different websites, it kept coming up as a hymn. I was surprised myself. I was familiar with it (to some degree), and I was pretty sure others had heard it before, so I decided to go for it.Quote:I like how the piece grows and your ideas are great. The sounds are great, too, they sound authentic and are good quality. Textures are lovely and I think you have composed it well.Thank you. Quote:Am I wrong? It does sound a little synthy. The instruments sometime seem to come in with military precision, but perhaps that is the 3/4 time. Like at 1:34 when there is a little descant that repeats. I'd just go through and soften those beginnings & 'humanize' them a little. Listen carefully to the velocities as well, for example, 'we three kings of orient ARE' the music punctuates that lower note & I think it would 'float' more - even though it's on the downbeat. As a singer, I would phrase that 'WE three KINGS of ORient are' so it doesn't feel right to me. Sing it to yourself as you go through the phrases to see if they reflect a natural phrasing. Are you wrong? Oh jeez, I hope so. Those are good points. Didn't think about accenting the music to correspond with the words/phrasing. I'll have to get the words, and take a look/listen to see how the phrasing might work. Maybe I can work somethin' out. Thanks H'bird. Good ideas! ibanez468

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:52 am

Quote:One question I've wondered since I was a kid: just where is the country of Orientar? Dude, ya' got me!Quote:PS: I didn't know they had rubber cigars back in those days either!mazz, you're killin' me man. Where are you comin' up with all of this?

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:01 pm

Quote:Quote:One question I've wondered since I was a kid: just where is the country of Orientar? Dude, ya' got me!Quote:PS: I didn't know they had rubber cigars back in those days either!mazz, you're killin' me man. Where are you comin' up with all of this? Still a little brat at heart!!
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:03 pm

jh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jh » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Arrangement...excellent as always. But, everytime the bass drum + cymbal hits there´s a weird "phasey" sound, and it distorts a little. - JH

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:16 pm

JH,Thanks alot! I'll check into the phase thingy. And I think I have too much double bass goin' on there. Probably the cause of the distortion.ibanez468

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:58 am

Nice work ib!I like the oboe/english horn counter melody that you wrote (it comes in after the key change when the whole band comes in).A couple of things I think would help improve the arrangement:1. Bring the bells down a bit. They should sound further back, like they are adding a little sheen on the overtones of the clarinets, not a featured instrument. That way, when they drop out, it sounds a bit more "real".2. The ONE, two, three ONE, two, three feel in the strings during the first half starts to make the piece feel like it's plodding along. I would suggest doing a lighter One with CB and VCS and then two three in the VLAS and VLN 1&2 playing chords. Then on the B section go to eight note arpeggios in the strings passing the baton from CB and VCS along the VLAS and up to the VLNS. This way it will flow more. Do a velocity crescendo and if you decide to go back down the arpeggio a velocity decresendo on the way down.3. You've got pretty good phrasing on the clarinets but Vikki nailed it when she said they weren't really singing the part. It's really a velocity thing in your case. With everyone hitting that ONE, including the melody, it adds to the plodding feel of the piece.You've got a good ear for this stuff, just need a few refinements on the sequencing end of things.Cheers,Mazz

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:06 am

Hey mazz,Thanks for all the input. I'll try and sort it all out and see if I can make some adjustments. Got plenty of time. I'm gonna' get the hang of this, even if it kills me. ibanez468

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:17 am

You'll get it man!!One more thing I forgot to mention. How about a ritard on the last phrase (before the timp roll and last stinger)? I think it would help tie it up nicely.Mazz

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:34 am

What kinda retarded? Sorry mazz, my musical terminology sucks. I think I understand the "stinger" bit. Can't remember how a ritard is supposed to sound. Help me out.ibanez468