A Shift Towards Exclusive.....?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: A Shift Towards Exclusive.....?

Post by andygabrys » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:40 pm

As far as what Mark (cosmic dolphin) said - I have noticed several libraries that don't deal non-exclusively any longer, and in some cases have an exclusive side and a non-exclusive side.

It may be related to what is considered "holding value" in the marketplace today.

OTOH - I agree with what Casey said as well - that there is a non-exclusive library that gets excellent placements for its pieces. But its a very small "club" that gets pieces signed to this library, as they don't have any need to sign a smorgasbord of stuff of varying qualities. They choose super high quality stuff that fits what they get mostly get placed.

It could be that there will increased scrutiny of pieces that get signed to libraries - that might be what happens in the future.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:43 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:I've been researching libraries, and I have a spreadsheet now with over 1900 lines listing all the Library names I have found.
Wow! now you can sell this spreadsheet to people for $249.99 per subscription and just stop writing music all together (kidding....but not really kidding at the same time).

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:16 pm

andygabrys wrote:
cosmicdolphin wrote:I've been researching libraries, and I have a spreadsheet now with over 1900 lines listing all the Library names I have found.
Wow! now you can sell this spreadsheet to people for $249.99 per subscription and just stop writing music all together (kidding....but not really kidding at the same time).
That's only 13 cents per name 8-) ..to be fair I haven't de-duplicated every letter yet so it may only end up being 1700 :shock:

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:31 pm

At this stage of the game I send music to any library willing to take my stuff, unless I see any red flags during the communication process.

I'm not yet well organized yet, so I like exclusive libraries because I don't have to worry about tracking a cue in more than one place. :)

The key is to get with the libraries that get you placements and not to waste time with those that can't. How do you know? Talk to your peers.

PC
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:07 am

Paulie wrote: The key is to get with the libraries that get you placements and not to waste time with those that can't. How do you know? Talk to your peers.
I've done a lot of reading and composers mileage seems to vary quite a bit so I think there's an element of luck whether you land on one that's a good fit with your music.

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:02 am

This business changes all the time and you have to change along with it. 5 years ago I was submitting about 80% of my music to non-exclusive libraries. Today it's totally the opposite. Part of the reason is that several of the non-exclusive libraries I use to submit to are now exclusives.

The good thing is I haven't seen any decrease in placements due to the change.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:45 am

It is a bit of a funny discussion, because if exclusive is a "trend", it basically means that ownership of musical content is becoming more and more important..
Ceo of my own life

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 am

I don't know if it's so much the ownership as the EXCLUSIVE ownership. Music supervisors must like the fact they are not going to get bombarded with the same cue 7 times.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:57 pm

SteveBaruah wrote:I don't know if it's so much the ownership as the EXCLUSIVE ownership. Music supervisors must like the fact they are not going to get bombarded with the same cue 7 times.

I guess I never understood why it's that big of a deal, considering that a lot of these music supervisors/editors were just getting music for cheap or for free. A blanket license, even a gratis blanket license, allows music supervisors or editors to get a lot of music for cheap.

Why not just pick one or two good non-exclusive libraries for the majority of the songs needed?

It just goes to show how little value people place on music. Free music is too much of a hassle to bother with just because the same songs are with multiple catalogs. Okay, how about paying a sync fee per usage? No, well why complain?
I think the market is reaching a peak, if it hasn't already.

I have signed a boatload of music away exclusively and I am not seeing the return on investment to be any more beneficial than the other few boatloads of songs that I signed to non-exclusive deals. I still get new uses for non-exclusive music I signed away years ago.

Signing music away exclusively is becoming less appealing to me.