A sobering look at the composer's trade. Must-read article..

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: A sobering look at the composer's trade. Must-read article..

Post by Dwayne Russell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:47 pm

Casey H wrote:

My guess is supply has increased more than even the increased demand.
Well, thats my point. We are just guessing. I would have to guess too.

But while home studios made it easier for composers to get in, so did it make it easier for TV production. So they both increased. I still don't see how anyone could say for sure one increased more than the other. It would only be a guess.

And if music composers increased more than demand then that does not mean that opportunity is less.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:53 pm

We've spent a lot of electrons on discussing something that we're going to go ahead and do anyway, no matter how many reports we read. Maybe a report like this would help us better target our music, but the value in this particular report, IMO, is the reminders on how to be more successful above and beyond just the writing of great music.
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:29 pm

mazz wrote:I never talk to the editors or supers, the library does that. I write music, they sell it.
So how would I ask them what they liked about my crap if I can't talk to them? :lol:

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:30 pm

mazz wrote:We've spent a lot of electrons on discussing something that we're going to go ahead and do anyway, no matter how many reports we read. Maybe a report like this would help us better target our music, but the value in this particular report, IMO, is the reminders on how to be more successful above and beyond just the writing of great music.

Not True Mazz. If that report were accurate I might get out. I don't do this for the "art" of it.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm not sure I understand your response, Dwayne.

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:14 pm

mazz wrote:I'm not sure I understand your response, Dwayne.
You said "we" were going to go ahead and "do this" no matter what the report said.

But as for me I am not sure about that. If that report is accurate and there are too many composers and not enough opportunities to make a living then I don't want to "do this" any more.

You had mentioned something about being in this business for the artistry of it and getting fulfillment that way. Well that does not describe me. I'm in the library music business for the money and to support my family and secure a retirement income for myself.

If this business is so difficult that I can't do that then I don't want to do it. That's what I mean.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Actually Vinnie said he was in it for the artistry, or words to that effect. I'm in it to use my creativity to do just the same as you would like to do.

So let me re-phrase: I would do this anyway despite reports such as this. Your mileage may vary.

Call me crazy.

Sorry for including everyone in my blanket statement.

Hope that clears it up, Dwayne, good luck in your decision.

eliotpister1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by eliotpister1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Wow! I didn't think my thread would spur such lively debate! I hate to be the wishy-washy one in the middle, but I actually do support both positions...

On one hand, many of us have the outlook that we didn't choose this career, it chose us. I for one would have to exhaust every revenue-generating angle under the sun before I walked away and gave up on making music my career. As long as there's SOMEBODY making a good living at it (note that I said 'good'), I'll believe it IS possible.

However, let's be honest, this report is only one of many, many accounts on how saturated the marketplace has become for songwriters/artists/composers. While it may be getting easier to make a few bucks on your songs, becoming wealthy at it is becoming scarily difficult.

I think we have a responsibility to ourselves to be aware, and be honest about what's happening, and not just to assume that it'll all work out magically in the long run. Imagine being a really top-performing salesperson for a typewriter company in the early 80's. :P :lol:

When I read reports like this and read news detailing the erosion of performance royalties, the drying up of up-front licensing fees, and the plummeting of overall music sales, it makes me nervous. Once people start to think of art as a cheap commodity, it's hard to turn that ship of public perception around...

Just sayin'...

Cheers, Eliot.

Cheers,
Taxi Member since 2004...
http://www.greengatemedia.com

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Dwayne Russell wrote: But as for me I am not sure about that. If that report is accurate and there are too many composers and not enough opportunities to make a living then I don't want to "do this" any more.

You had mentioned something about being in this business for the artistry of it and getting fulfillment that way. Well that does not describe me. I'm in the library music business for the money and to support my family and secure a retirement income for myself.

If this business is so difficult that I can't do that then I don't want to do it. That's what I mean.
Dwayne, I see many years of my life in your statement. I sort of done things backwards. I always wanted to sing for a living, but I didn't pursue it because I didn't figure there was much opportunity. So after being laid off at the nuclear bomb factory after 7 years I decided to drive a truck, secure and much opportunity. I did that for 18 years, a wheel a year,lol, then I would frequently say that if I couldn't make it with the truck and trailer both paid for, that I would never do it again. A couple of years ago the freight kept getting cheaper, and the fuel jumped to nearly $3 a gallon for diesel, GM went bankrupt, and bingo, so did I. Moral of the story, there isn't anything "secure" and "opportunity" is not a guarantee, and quite actually a worthless word, unless you are speaking militarily. I'm not so sure even in this day and age a government job is all that secure. I'm just saying that security and opportunity shouldn't really factor into whatever decision you make to earn a living, support your family or secure a retirement income. Obviously I haven't been very good at figuring out what does work though,lol!
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm probably a little more utopian about this because I still have a day gig to back me up. I realize I may be singing a different tune (no pun intended) when I finally decide to swim in the crowded pool with everyone else.

What keeps me going is the fact that throughout history there have been folks that defied the odds and succeeded, like Edison, for instance. At some point they had to ignore the overwhelming evidence that something was impossible, or at least incredibly difficult, and go ahead and try to do it anyway. I don't think we'd have gotten to where we are technologically if it weren't for folks that thumbed their nose at convention and forged a path through the naysayers and mediocrity worshipers and those who said "that's the way it is", or "it's too hard" or "it's impossible, look at the evidence, the field is too crowded".

So I'm going to keep my head in the clouds for a while longer. And still try to keep my feet on the ground at the same time.

Good luck to everyone.

I think it was a great thread to start, Elliot!!

Cheers!

Mazz