A true Rally miracle! - Co-writing in Nashville!

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ullali
Impressive
Impressive

A true Rally miracle! - Co-writing in Nashville!

Post by ullali » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:47 pm

What are the chances that a songwriter from Denmark gets the chance to co-write with an established, successful Nashville staff songwriter, and even being invited to Nashville to do so? Close to none I’d say! But thanks to TAXI and the Road Rally this dream has come true for me!!!! :D

I wasn’t sure if I should post this under ’shameless self promotion’ or here, but since it IS meant as a tribute to TAXI and the Road Rally and the miracles that happens there...I chose to post it here. The Road Rally 2010 is (still) working miracles for me in the most fantastic ways!!! I just HAD to share this and I hope it will be of inspiration to others who may be wondering, if they should attend or not! You must!!! 8-)

At my first Road Rally in 2009 I realized how much I still had to learn about songwriting, to get from ‘good to great’ and especially I realized that I needed to learn how to write more contemporary songs. I then spent a whole year trying to figure out how to get from retro to modern? Feeling real stuck, in spite of all the inspiration, advice and great books from the Rally.

At the 2010 Rally I actually won a Nashville Platinum Demo Recording session, only a few hours after I had decided that NOW was the time to do something new and different with my music, including letting a pro-singer, sing my songs! Was that a sign or what!? WOW! :o ....AND it gets even better!....Later (at the Rally), I met this wonderful kind person, a God gifted Nashville staff songwriter, singer and producer, who was introduced to me by my great mentor from 2009! One of those rare meetings where you just know right away, that THIS sure feels right!....Talk about getting (the right!) help when you need it! I hardly believe my own luck!

Well...to make a long story short, (which is real hard when you feel as blessed and excited as I do!):
My new, dearest songwriter friend in Nashville so gracefully offered to help me getting ‘unstuck’ and teach me how to write more modern songs, soooo.....

For the last couple of months we have been co-writing, (through Skype), and he is teaching, coaching and inspiring me, even beyond my wildest imagination! I’m having the time of my life, and our first four, (wonderful, contemporary!) songs are ready for recording! AND I have even been invited to Nashville to write more!!!! Soooo....

In May I’m going to Nashville for a whole week, to co-write more, (live-face-2-face) and to record the songs. At the same time I will be collecting my prize at The Nashville Demo Recording Studio!....Trust me....I can’t wait!!!....and I also can’t wait to bring these new songs with me to the Rally this year! Yay! 8-) :D

On top of this, I have just enrolled in a Jason Blume two days songwriting workshop, in Norway this August! I would probably never have heard about this, if it hadn’t been for TAXI and the Rally. But even more important, I would have never met my wonderful co-writer, whom I know will be my dearest friend for life! Not ‘just’ because he is taking me to the next level of songwriting, but because of the fantastic and kindhearted person he is!

So yeah! Miracles DO happen at the Rally! Lifechanging opportunities and awesome, kind and talented people, - all in one place!
I am so looking forward to the next Rally! But meanwhile....my 2011 seems to be the year where I will (finally) move from retro to contemporary! How cool is that? 8-) :D

THANK YOU TAXI!!!!......and also: THANK YOU to my dear 2009 mentor AND my new dear co-writer friend....from my heart!

I Go On Dreaming!!! :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l8G79rpmAI

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: A true Rally miracle! - Co-writing in Nashville!

Post by mazz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:03 pm

Wow!! This is fantastic!! With your positive attitude and huge bright smile, this is not surprising to me at all!! I'm very happy for you!! This is awesome! I think you'll love Nashville, it's a great place to "hang" and write. Very cool!!

I have a feeling this will be in a Taxi newsletter very soon!! You deserve it!

Cheers!

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

ullali
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ullali » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Oh WOW Mazz!!!! Thank you SO much for all your kind words....I'm all blushing now! 8-) :oops:
Coming from you this means A LOT to me!!!

Yeah, I already LOVE Nashville and all the fantastic musicians, artists and songwriters there....oh yeah and the MUSIC! :D

My two CDs (all my own (retro!) songs) were recorded there, so I feel right at home when I get there. But MAN!... this time it's going to be SO different, both with the co-writing, contemporary AND new studios, musicians and all.

My head is SPINNING with excitement, I'm counting the days (22 now!) :shock: :D AND I am soooooo grateful...and HAPPYYY!
C'mon....Im from DENMARK!!!! :lol:

BIG hugs'n smiles your way Mazz, for cheering me on! THANK YOU!!! :D

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Such a great story. Thanks for sharing. I haven't spent much time in Nashville, but I can imagine you are in for the ride of your life - of course, a ride that started a while ago. But, to milk the metaphor a bit more, seems like your ride is starting to really pick up speed. Go with it - push down that pedal and ride, baby, ride.

I wish you great success. Can't wait to hear more from you, both at the Rally and elsewhere. Congrats!

kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Very happy for you! :mrgreen: A great story! 8-) :D

Wishing you the very best!
:) Casey

ullali
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ullali » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Thank you SO MUCH KC....I am soooo glad you like my story, thanks a bunch for saying so and for all your good wishes!!! :D
You are SO right!....Though my journey started a while ago, this is a totally NEW ride for me...and I'm already enjoying every single minute of it!....and can't believe my luck and good fortune!

I know how hard many people work on getting the same opportunity that I just got like that, so I truly feel blessed! I promise to make the most out of it and having the time of my life!.....I already am! :D

Oh yeah, I am looking SO much forward to sharing the results with 'the whole world'....and hoping 'it' will listen LOL! :lol:
THANKS again!....for reading and good wishes! Best wishes right back at ya!!! :D

ullali
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ullali » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:13 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH Casey!!! :D
Makes me very happy, that you're happy for me!!!....and that you like my 'braggings'....(story)...goes to show that ANYTHING IS possible.....even for a 'nobody from nowhere' like me (quote 'my themesong' LOL)!....if ya believe in your dreams...right!? :lol:

FMstereo
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by FMstereo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi Ulla

What a fantastic opportunity!! Sounds like things are going fabulously well for you and your music, so congrats for that.

I've done a couple of Jason Blume workshops in New Zealand so I know you'll really enjoy it and will learn heaps from Jason.

Keep us posted with how the co-writing goes.

Cheers

ullali
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ullali » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks a bunch FM.....Yeah I really can't wipe off that goofy smile on my face these days, that's for sure!....enjoying every second of the journey!....and yeah I'd LOVE keeping you updated, thanks for asking!

It's great to hear you have good experiences with Jason Blumes workshops.....and it's so cool how he travels the world and get to all of us! I have attended his sessions on the Rally so I do have high expectations! Did you co-write on his seminar? Or were everyone on their own? If you have ANY tips of how to prepare, PLEASE let me know! I'd LOVE to hear more!....If you care to share!??
8-) :D Cheers

FMstereo
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by FMstereo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:27 am

Ulla

With the workshops I did there wasn't any co-writing or writing at all, just Jason talking and playing some songs to illustrate the points he was making.

In terms of preparation, it's good if you can have a song ready for Jason to critique, together with a copy of the lyrics. Jason works really fast to get through all the people who want their songs critiqued. I always try to take heaps of notes as it's hard to remember everything and so that I've got something to refer back to after the workshop. I find you can learn so much even when it's not your song that's being critiqued.

All the best

Cheers