Acoustic Folk-leaning Singer/Songwriter

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VTrails
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Acoustic Folk-leaning Singer/Songwriter

Post by VTrails » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:56 pm

So, here is my first stab at a "stripped down" version of the song I posted recently, as per the consensus on the thread:

Better Day: http://snd.sc/1a27iYu

Questions for the experts:

1. Is this in the ballpark for the current listing for "Acoustic Folk-leaning Singer/Songwriter Songs" listing S130906AS?

2. Any thoughts re: the mix? I kept it pretty simple, with a couple of layered guitars and some harmonies. Does it need anything else?

The listing details are:

MALE and FEMALE, ACOUSTIC FOLK-LEANING SINGER/SONGWRITER SONGS in the stylistic wheelhouse of Joni Mitchell, Townes Van Zandt, Joan Baez, Nick Drake, etc., are needed by the Owner of a extraordinary Music Library with an incredible list of placements in TV shows, Films, Trailers, and commercials. He's looking for authentic performances that have tons of emotional pull. Songs must have engaging and believable vocal performances, solid musicianship, and a natural, organic-sounding production style. Your lyrics need to be universal, with themes that fit within the framework of the genre.

(that's a daunting list of songwriters to try and emulate - here's hoping that stylistic wheelhouse is broad enough for we mere mortals to fit in)

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Acoustic Folk-leaning Singer/Songwriter

Post by Piewackit1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:36 am

One thing I noticed is that the referenced artists seem to have busy guitars(Faster picking maybe?). I think you are close to Townes Van Zandt. The vocals in your demo seem a bit Pitchy...but then I heard Townes and his seemed to be the same way.

I think it's in the ball park no doubt...I just want the song to have a deeper change between the verses and chorus...maybe that's bad advice for this genre.

Mix seems fine to me. Like the title of your song.

VTrails
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by VTrails » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Nick Drake in particular was a virtuoso fingerstyle guitar player. I'm ... not so much.

I'm wavering on whether to add a little simple percussion to the choruses, but the word "Folk" in the listing gives me pause. I could bring up the strummed part in the chorus in the mix a bit more to see if that adds some definition without being too jarring.

I don't think I have time to get up to speed on melodyne / autotune to be able to tweak the vox and keep the "organic" feeling in the production. If there's anything that's particularly problematic, I could take another stab at singing any troublesome lines.

VTrails
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by VTrails » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:24 am

Made a few adjustments (a bit of editing, brought up the strummed guitar in the chorus, a bit of work on the vocals), the "finished" product is on my Taxi page - "Better Day".

I've already pushed the button on the submission, so probably best if you don't tell me if there's anything else I should have tweaked ...

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:06 am

Hey Andrew - Seems pretty close genre-wise. I wonder, sounds like you doubled the guitar? I'd be curious to see how it sounded if you spread the guitar tracks out fairly wide, just to create a little more interest sonically. And maybe experiment with some different panning for the vocals as well in the different sections. Just a thought...

Good luck!

eo

VTrails
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by VTrails » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:13 am

My thought was to keep it fairly simple in response to the "folk" part of the description. For a straight singer/songwriter listing I would/will try some of the things you mention, as well as adding a little more instrumentation, definitely at least some simple percussion. Thanks for the feedback, and good luck with your submission.