Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Acoustic Guitar underscore

Post by irthlingz » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:51 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:34 pm
Waited for the guitar to come in but it never did. Am I missing something or listening to a different track> ...confused!!
Maybe you hear it as harp?

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jdkotaska » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:47 pm

I don't hear a guitar either. It sounds like a synth harp or something to me, too.

In response to your comment wondering about what else you can add, sometimes you just need to take some things away for awhile instead. Not saying that this is what you need here, just something to keep in mind.

Good luck. This version, once you get the guitar figured out, seems like a better fit for the listing than the first one.

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:30 am

Agree with Dean
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:03 am

Thank you Dean and Marco! IT IS A HARP!! (We are new with the software ...)

Going to try putting in guitar -- since that's what the listing calls for!

Thanks for the ears!

===
Sharon & Michael

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:13 pm

So here's a new attempt with an actual guitar in it. The piano didn't seem to fit, but we kept the harp in where the piano used to be. Would love some feedback. Thanks again!

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:50 pm

Reckon it is getting closer to the refs, now
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:08 pm

superkons wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:50 pm
Reckon it is getting closer to the refs, now
Yay! Thanks, Marco!

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jdkotaska » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:11 am

Okay. I'll try to rip the band-aid off fast.

After listening to the new track and comparing it to the reference tracks, here is what I noticed: (1) Your tempo seems slower than the refs. (2) The refs play a few guitar notes, pause, and repeat while yours seems to play continuously. (3) You cut off the last note before it finishes ringing out. (4) And of greatest importance... your instruments don't sound very realistic. You will need to figure out how to make the instruments sound real before this track has a chance to go forward. Take another listen to the reference tracks and see if you can match the sound of their instruments. You may need to try different sample libraries and you will probably have to come up with a different drum pattern, too. This one sounds like some kind of generic keyboard preset.

You're on the right track, though. It just needs some sorting out.

Good luck!

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:20 am

Thank you, Dean! (Didn't hurt too much! :D )

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:43 am

irthlingz wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:13 pm
So here's a new attempt with an actual guitar in it. The piano didn't seem to fit, but we kept the harp in where the piano used to be. Would love some feedback. Thanks again!
The guitar is better than the harp as the main instrument, but is it a collage of stock phrases? I think I can hear a few joins/edits in there. I have a few other thoughts that might be helpful to consider:
- maybe try to use drum parts/perc that sound like a player (the sticks sound a bit like a DAW metronome)
- perhaps also use more complementary percussion instead of standard drum kit sounds
- a less mechanical harp part would help, especially if the harp doesn't detract from the guitar by occupying some of the same frequencies and front-back space
- leaving some space in the track at some point(s) gives a sense of 'breath' to help punctuate an arrangement and also provide an edit point(s).
- consider the arrangement so it offers variation and a sense of progression - see below (although I can hear this is what you're going for)

jdkotaska mentioned realism (and also tempo) and I have to agree.

In the first ref track, for example...
1) for the first 19s there's just separated guitar phrases
2) 19s from 19-40s the guitar phrases become connected and are joined by a bass
3) 40s-1m there's now a couple of textural instruments in the background
4) 1m-1:20 its the broken guitar phrases again but with a different underlying textural synth
---big edit point at 1:22ish--
5) 1:22-1:40 like section 3 but now add another guitar layer plus very light percussion
6) 1:40-2m adds yet another subtle layer
7) 2m-end its the broken guitar phrases again but with a different background layer
So, no section is identical to any other, which keeps it sounding fresh and prevents listener fatigue, and each section could work on its own. Its just an example but its a very well arranged piece of music with maybe 8 or 9 parts coming in and out in a musical and non-mechanical way. None of them mask the lead instrument but provide subtle variation. The organic sounds are all convincing as real and performed, and although the synths are far from natural they compliment the rest. The other refs follow a somewhat similar recipe, as do most sync tracks.

Its clear that you're going for this type of arrangement, and I have to say well done for having a good go at it, and also for your willingness to work with the good advice given by previous posters. At present I don't think the sounds are sufficiently convincing and the mix is not quite ready yet, but with careful listening to put the right parts in place and mix them accordingly you can get there, I'm sure.

As always though, these are just my thoughts, and there are wiser folk than I who could offer better advice. Nevertheless, I hope there's something in them that might help. Good luck!
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.