with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kazaraki
Active
Active

Acoustic guitar VST?

Post by kazaraki » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good acoustic guitar vst with a realistic sound? I was thinking of looking into Kontakt. Also what's your experience with submitting tracks using vst versus real acoustic guitar? I definitely prefer the sound of a real acoustic guitar but I find it's a lot more work to record clean and edit. It seems that more and more tracks that I've been hearing in libraries, feature the vst acoustic guitar.

Thanks!!

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Acoustic guitar VST?

Post by superkons » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:31 pm

I like the acoustic guitars from Ample Sounds and Orange Tree Samples.

Ample Sounds have a free, light version of their Acoustic Guitar M II.
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:45 pm

Kontakt has a instrument called Session Strummer 2. I like it, and I use it in with real guitar. Fun stuff.

kazaraki
Active
Active

Post by kazaraki » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:07 am

superkons wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:31 pm

Hi superkons, Thanks for the recommendation. I actually just downloaded the amplelite vst and am excited to try it out. From what I can tell after listening to demos online, this plugin sounds great.

kazaraki
Active
Active

Post by kazaraki » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:09 am

gregorym wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:45 pm
Kontakt has a instrument called Session Strummer 2. I like it, and I use it in with real guitar. Fun stuff.
Hi gregorym, Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't heard of that one but will definitely check it out.

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:26 am

kazaraki wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:07 am
superkons wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:31 pm

Hi superkons, Thanks for the recommendation. I actually just downloaded the amplelite vst and am excited to try it out. From what I can tell after listening to demos online, this plugin sounds great.
My pleasure!
Truly hope you can fit it into your workflow!
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:09 pm

kazaraki wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:02 pm
Can anyone recommend a good acoustic guitar vst with a realistic sound? I was thinking of looking into Kontakt. Also what's your experience with submitting tracks using vst versus real acoustic guitar? I definitely prefer the sound of a real acoustic guitar but I find it's a lot more work to record clean and edit. It seems that more and more tracks that I've been hearing in libraries, feature the vst acoustic guitar.
Since I'm a keyboard player, not a guitarist (I can play a few chords, but can't change between them well, and I don't even have access to a guitar at this point), I use VST instruments extensively for guitars. If you want a more comprehensive list of products I use on this front, you can check the Guitars and Basses section on http://rickpaulmusic.com/equipment-and-software/, but I'll mention a few here.

I've really liked the Native Instruments Session Guitarist series, including both of the Strummed Acoustic packages and the Picked Acoustic package (also the Electric Sunburst, but that is Les Paul, not an acoustic). If I'm looking for finger-picked or melodic acoustic guitar parts, though, I tend to use MusicLabs' RealGuitar more frequently than anything as it tends to do a good job in interpreting what I do on a keyboard into "guitaristic" characteristics. If I'm looking for strummed parts, in addition to the NI stuff mentioned already, the UJAM products (e.g. Virtual Guitarist AMBER) are also worth a look (they are developed by some of the same people as the old Steinberg Virtual Guitarist products, which I've used quite a bit over time). I've also used the MusicLab stuff for strumming occasionally, but it's tougher to make believable. On balance, though, there is more flexibility.

Another developer whose products look like they might be interesting, but which I haven't tried for acoustic guitars yet (only for Ukulele) is Indiginus. I think they might possibly have a good compromise between the actual real playing in the UJAM and NI types of products and the flexibility of MusicLab's stuff.

If you'd like to hear some examples, if you go to my TAXI page (see the signature block below), here are a few specific examples:
  • Dream a Mighty Dream: Uses Indiginus "The Ukulele"
  • Love Holds On (AC Ballad Remix): Uses NI Session Guitarist - Picked Acoustic
  • Les mots que l'on ne sait pas dire: Uses MusicLab RealGuitar Classic (nylon string in this case)
  • Steel: Uses two instances of NI Session Guitarist Picked Acoustic, one being one playing their built in patterns and another played manually (i.e. in Melody mode)
  • Go Tell It On the Mountain: This is using MusicLab RealGuitar again, but for strumming this time (It's also using their RealRick, through Line6 PodFarm for the electric guitar)
  • I Didn't Think: Uses ujam Virtual Guitarist Amber for the strummed acoustic. It's also using three other virtual guitars including ujam Virtual Guitarist Sparkle for the electric rhythm guitar, MusicLab RealStrat through IK Multimedia AmpliTube 4 for another electric guitar, and MusicLab RealLPC through IK Multimedia AmpliTube 4 for the lead guitar solo
There can be a real tradeoff between realism and flexibility (which also bears on intuitiveness for coming up with parts). As a general rule, the stuff that uses loop-based stuff (e.g. Session Guitarist if you're not using the melody mode of Picked Acoustic and all the ujam stuff) will sound the most realistic without a lot of work, but finding something that suits your particular song is more challenging. Whereas the stuff you play yourself (e.g. the MusicLab stuff and Picked Acoustic in its melody mode) is way more flexible, but harder to get to sound realistic.

Rick

kazaraki
Active
Active

Post by kazaraki » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:03 pm

RPaul wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:09 pm
kazaraki wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:02 pm
Since I'm a keyboard player, not a guitarist (I can play a few chords, but can't change between them well, and I don't even have access to a guitar at this point), I use VST instruments extensively for guitars. If you want a more comprehensive list of products I use on this front, you can check the Guitars and Basses section on http://rickpaulmusic.com/equipment-and-software/, but I'll mention a few here.

I've really liked the Native Instruments Session Guitarist series, including both of the Strummed Acoustic packages and the Picked Acoustic package (also the Electric Sunburst, but that is Les Paul, not an acoustic). If I'm looking for finger-picked or melodic acoustic guitar parts, though, I tend to use MusicLabs' RealGuitar more frequently than anything as it tends to do a good job in interpreting what I do on a keyboard into "guitaristic" characteristics. If I'm looking for strummed parts, in addition to the NI stuff mentioned already, the UJAM products (e.g. Virtual Guitarist AMBER) are also worth a look (they are developed by some of the same people as the old Steinberg Virtual Guitarist products, which I've used quite a bit over time). I've also used the MusicLab stuff for strumming occasionally, but it's tougher to make believable. On balance, though, there is more flexibility.

Another developer whose products look like they might be interesting, but which I haven't tried for acoustic guitars yet (only for Ukulele) is Indiginus. I think they might possibly have a good compromise between the actual real playing in the UJAM and NI types of products and the flexibility of MusicLab's stuff.

If you'd like to hear some examples, if you go to my TAXI page (see the signature block below), here are a few specific examples:
  • Les mots que l'on ne sait pas dire: Uses MusicLab RealGuitar Classic (nylon string in this case)
  • Steel: Uses two instances of NI Session Guitarist Picked Acoustic, one being one playing their built in patterns and another played manually (i.e. in Melody mode)
  • Go Tell It On the Mountain: This is using MusicLab RealGuitar again, but for strumming this time (It's also using their RealRick, through Line6 PodFarm for the electric guitar)
  • I Didn't Think: Uses ujam Virtual Guitarist Amber for the strummed acoustic. It's also using three other virtual guitars including ujam Virtual Guitarist Sparkle for the electric rhythm guitar, MusicLab RealStrat through IK Multimedia AmpliTube 4 for another electric guitar, and MusicLab RealLPC through IK Multimedia AmpliTube 4 for the lead guitar solo
There can be a real tradeoff between realism and flexibility (which also bears on intuitiveness for coming up with parts). As a general rule, the stuff that uses loop-based stuff (e.g. Session Guitarist if you're not using the melody mode of Picked Acoustic and all the ujam stuff) will sound the most realistic without a lot of work, but finding something that suits your particular song is more challenging. Whereas the stuff you play yourself (e.g. the MusicLab stuff and Picked Acoustic in its melody mode) is way more flexible, but harder to get to sound realistic.

Rick
Hi Rick,

Thank you so much for the thorough explanation!! Based on what everyone has reccommended, I decided to go with the Kontakt strumming and picking libraries which I'm pretty satisfied with at the moment. I realize that every library has it's strenths and weaknesses so when I save up some more money, I'll probably invest in Ujam and music lab libraries for the flexibility like you mentionend.

Much appreciated! The examples you listed are especially helpful.

Best,

Kaz

billw22

Post by billw22 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:12 am

Rick
Hi Rick,

Thank you so much for the thorough explanation!! Based on what everyone has reccommended, I decided to go with the Kontakt strumming and picking libraries which I'm pretty satisfied with at the moment. I realize that every library has it's strenths and weaknesses so when I save up some more money, I'll probably invest in Ujam and music lab libraries for the flexibility like you mentionend.

Much appreciated! The examples you listed are especially helpful.

Best,

Kaz
care t share your expiriance so far
really interested in feedback
You can find great writer here https://homework-writer.com/ for some homework assignment

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:12 pm

Hi Bill, I don't use them myself, but Orange Tree have some impressive products that are worth checking out.
https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products
I hope you find something useful there.
[Edit: I just noticed that Superkons mentions them too in his post above :) ]
Last edited by Telefunkin on Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.