activation time on broadjam

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

activation time on broadjam

Post by gitarrero » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:26 pm

Hi folks,...I know, I know - I just would need to upload my tracks soon enough in order that they're activated before the submission-deadline.but sometimes I just don't have time to work soon enough on a particular track, so I get a little nerved from time to time because of the activation time on broadjam.I'm think I'm a MoB Member on broadjam ($50 membership), so activating can take up to 48 hours.How do people who submitting new created stuff to dispatch handle this..? There are often tight deadlines - and if you have to produce something new and than submit it, time can get tight.what's your opinion/experience?cheers,Martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: activation time on broadjam

Post by Casey H » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:00 am

I think you should write to the broadjam CEO and express your concern. My impression is he is very receptive to feedback from members. In a recent newsletter to the members, he said:If have any feedback whatsoever, please feel free to contact me directly. You can reach me at Roy@broadjam.com or 608-271-3633. Also, on an occasional basis, I have contacted broadjam customer service to see if they could quickly activate an uploaded track because I had a deadline and they always (cheerfully) did it for me. Of course, I wouldn't recommend abusing the system by constantly doing that.Good luck! Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:33 am

I always believe in catching more flies with honey. The issue was politely and professionally mentioned to the CEO of broadjam, and now I think he should be given time to address the concern. Blasting them on this forum gets it off your chest but that's about all. It might be a good idea for more folks who are concerned to also write (politely) to the CEO of broadjam to let him know they would like to see this improved. I agree with the concern. My personal opinion is that TAXI/Broadjam members, regardless of broadjam level, should get much faster activation. Casey

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:24 am

Quote:No blasting? Should be polite? You must not know the music biz... I agree with Casey that politness is the way to go. This doesn't mean you don't can say any critique - you can discuss hard and use clear words, but still be objective.blasting them would only have the consequence that the BJ CEO doesn't want to receive any more email-feedback from members.
production, composition & stringed instruments

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:30 pm

Quote:Perhaps that is something to bring to Michael's attention as well. What do you say, Jimi?Guys...I have it on good authority that Taxi is aware of the broadjam issues and something is already "in the works".So...don't get too worked up about this stuff...you're just gonna have to have a little more patience here...

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:55 pm

Quote:Guys...I have it on good authority that Taxi is aware of the broadjam issues and something is already "in the works".So...don't get too worked up about this stuff...you're just gonna have to have a little more patience here... Thanks Matt. Good to know.I should add to my previous post, that even though I don't care for the Broadjam player or the way they structure activation times, they've always been helpful and professional in any correspondence I've had with them.Aub

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:09 pm

Quote:Quote:Perhaps that is something to bring to Michael's attention as well. What do you say, Jimi?Guys...I have it on good authority that Taxi is aware of the broadjam issues and something is already "in the works".So...don't get too worked up about this stuff...you're just gonna have to have a little more patience here... I personally haven't had any problems with activation times on Broadjam... I think it's Dispatch folks that tend to be more time sensitive - sometimes you only have a day! Most other listings allow at least a couple weeks.The one time a listing disappeared before the deadline, I called Taxi and they helped me out immediately.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:30 am

Quote:Quote:I've NEVER encountered any lag, in any of my dealings online, except with BJ. If you blame it on a server, why does BJ have multi-tiers for song activation? It's because they want more $$ from ya. It's not because of a server...Unfortunately this is most likely the correct answer. About the only reason for upgrading and paying more is activation times. There is absolutely no good reason that this process could not be automated and work just like it does everywhere else on the net. It's a marketing ploy - plain and simple. Do I like it. No. It is very frustrating that the service I have to pay for is unpredictable even after songs are uploaded, and that in this world of instant access I have to pay to wait.But.... are they the only game in town. Yes. It's a necessary evil for Taxi submissions or I would kiss Broadjam goodbye. The player sucks -- half the time I send a link to someone, they can't play it. Their servers aren't robust enough to handle the load, or they have some other issue that causes streaming problems.In fact, their service is so great that I tried to sign on just now and got this lovely message:error '80029c84'Circular dependency between types/modules.C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\WWW.BROADJAM.COM051102\ARTISTS\../include/global/indexframe.asp, line 9 If there were any other way to submit other than snail mail I wonder who in the world would be paying for this great lack of service.Taxi should be embarrassed that they have such an inept partner because in the end, it makes them look bad too. Circular dependency indeed!AubInteresting... I have had few problems with broadjam and don't mind their player. I agree that activation time for TAXI members should be immediate. Regarding the links, I have suggested to them that they find a way to make those custom links for "transmit" shorter so that they are much more likely to work when pasted in an email. I think the "transmit" custom link feature is a great one, but that improvement would be nice. Casey

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:11 pm

I have the second lowest BJ membership, recently they added a button to change the order of your songs. I have no great love for BJ, but I certainly haven't had any problems with uploading. I do it before I go to bed, and it's on my page by morning. If you had entered your BJ address correctly, your music shows up just fine. Try it:http://www.broadjam.com/airport_face

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:04 am

My BJ was down all day yeterday as well, so much for being happy with the service. We'll see how soon that kind of things happens again.