Addictive Drums

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

musicalweather
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Addictive Drums

Post by musicalweather » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:25 pm

I bought AD just this month, and I agree, it's fantastic. As far as I know, you can get AD at Guitar Center right now for $99! :D

Also, you can currently get the adpaks and midipaks on sale at Big Fish audio (download).

I'll be getting the jazz brushes pack soon. The "brush sweep technology" is pretty cool; you can control the speed of the sweep, so it adjusts to whatever tempo you're playing.

I'm a long time EZ Drummer / Superior Drummer user, and I still will be using those programs. But AD does pack a lot of punch and you get a lot of value for your money.

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:10 pm

I've been looking all over Portland hoping to buy it locally, but I haven't found any music store that carries it. Amazon lists it as "discontinued," and Guitar Center says if they had it, which they don't, it would cost $199. Not a bad price, but where are all these great deals some of you have gotten?

Looks like a great product!

Richard

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:19 pm

A Sweetwater rep suggested I check out Sonoma Wireworks Drumcore 3 as an alternative to Addictive Drums. Anyone familiar with it?

Richard

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:38 pm

remmet wrote:A Sweetwater rep suggested I check out Sonoma Wireworks Drumcore 3 as an alternative to Addictive Drums. Anyone familiar with it?

Richard

Richard,

I have both AD and Drumcore.

I like the concept of Drumcore, I just think it falls a little short in execution.

If you've checked out Drumcore, you have seen that it uses famous drummers to provide the loops in midi and audio content. I don't find enough of either to provide enough options when creating a track.

AD on the other hand comes with just midi loops and a lot of them. Plus, each expansion pack comes with even more loops that can be used to trigger any of the kits. The result is far more flexibility. AD also sounds really good in a track.

I don't know if you do any jazz stuff, but the Jazz Sticks and Jazz Brushes expansion packs for AD are the best I've ever heard.

For my money, I'd buy Addictive Drums.

Chuck

"You can never have too many options for drums"
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks Chuck. The Sweetwater rep thought that DC sounded better than AD. But there don't seem to be many audio demos of Drumcore, and without them, it's hard to make a side-by-side audio comparison. And from what I've seen, I like the looks of AD's user interface and huge collection of midi loops. So I'm leaning toward AD unless I can find some convincing reason to go the other way.

Thanks again.

Richard

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:57 pm

remmet wrote:Thanks Chuck. The Sweetwater rep thought that DC sounded better than AD. But there don't seem to be many audio demos of Drumcore, and without them, it's hard to make a side-by-side audio comparison. And from what I've seen, I like the looks of AD's user interface and huge collection of midi loops. So I'm leaning toward AD unless I can find some convincing reason to go the other way.

Thanks again.

Richard
I don't know that I would go by the opinion of Sweetwater 'sales engineers'... :-/

Drumcore is a great idea, and I hope now that Sonoma has acquired it they will develop it to the point where its full potential is realized. If and when that's the case, I think it will be a superb drum solution.

However as it stands now, AD is ready and kicking butt, while DC is, in my humble and not Sweetwater anointed opinion ;) , (still) a bit too patchy as a solid first choice drum VI.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:32 am

Yes, I concur that DrumCore has a lot of potential but is not something to rely on for one's main drum instrument.

Even though I started this thread about Addictive Drums, I find myself mostly using Superior Drummer these days, just because I'm more familiar with the interface and the Music City expansion just sounds so amazing and is so versatile. But for jazz stuff, Addictive Drums is my first call. The snare stirring is really good and as we know, that's one of the hardest things to emulate in samples.
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 am

I have both and concur with Mazz, Matto and Chuck. There's a difference in the sound; I'd put it down to using a different sample compression scheme, with AD having a solid edge in sound quality, there's just more fine-grain detail in the 24-bit samples. (also in the variety and usability of the kits you can add) I can recommend the KitCore product; though it's not as heavily sampled, (doesn't have as much round-robin) it provides pretty good bang per buck for sketches and the MIDI loops are very good to great, and relatively well-organized. If you can find AD for $99, it's a no-brainer.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:18 am

Drum core used to be my goto drum kit. I then got Stylus RMX and I now use that 90% of the time. In fact, I don't have DC installed any longer - but it does have some nice stuff there.

I don't have either AD or Superior - but I have been looking at AD for some time now and I think when I get around to it, it will be my next Drum kit. I don't know about the development of it, I have been waiting for news of a 64 bit version and somewhere on their forums, they said they were working on it. But that has been a while now.

kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks to everyone for what seems to be a clear consensus in favor of AD. I'll go ahead and order it. I haven't seen it listed anywhere for under $199, so if someone knows where to find a better price, please tell.

Thanks again.

Richard