Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

joshcolemanmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Advice for setting up home studio

Post by joshcolemanmusic » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Dear fellow members,
One of the things that I observed at the road rally was that the most successful members seem to produce all (or most) of their own tunes.
I'm interested in becoming a better home producer but still feel a little daunted by it. Would love to hear what other members think are
a) essential pieces of equipment (eg compressors, reverb units, synths, etc)
b) the best way to learn how to make the demos sound great (other than to keep experimenting which is the current method).

Currently use Logic Pro 9
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Midi Controller
Neumann TLM 103 Mic

All thoughts welcome.
Josh

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Advice for setting up home studio

Post by cardell » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:21 pm

A decent pair of near-field monitors (it can't be overstated). :)

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:06 pm

the only things you really need at this point:

1. some kind of interface with preamps on it to use with your mic ( I assume you must have something but you didn't mention it)

2. I assume you are a keyboardist - so some Virtual Instrument software that allows you to create the sounds you want for the productions you desire to create. I didn't listen to your tunes so don't know what genres you are into. Things like Native Instruments Komplete 8 or Komplete 8 ultimate cover a lot of bases. A lot of people like Omnisphere as well. Then there is a whole bunch of orchestral type packages.

3. decent monitors like Stuart recommended - and save some money for some bass trap panels from Real Traps, Ready Traps, or GIK acoustics or a similar company - if your room is weird (and most are unless you have a commercial studio), even decent monitors can lead you astray.

You have Logic, and it has everything within it you will need to create great mixes.

As for skills - trial and error, plus online tutorials on Youtube and other sites such as Groove3 and MacPro video, and private lessons too. Why not find some forum members in San Francisco area who are further down the production road and could give you a couple sessions?

joshcolemanmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by joshcolemanmusic » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Andy and Stuart,

Thanks so much for your recommendations. I really appreciate them. I do play keyboards but am primarily a guitar player. I have BX5A M-Audio Monitors and use a PRESONUS Audiobox USB for interface. Definitely have a tweaky room so appreciate the recommendations for how to fix that.

richmstudios
Impressive
Impressive

Post by richmstudios » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:24 am

You cannot underestimate the need for some room treatment. It's an investiment that is neither glamourous nor fun like a cool piece of gear or nifty plug-in, but it is oh-so important when attempting to track and mix a "broadcast quality" recording. From personal experience I found myself wasting hours mixing in a bad room only to find the music did not translate on other sound systems - a lot of CDRs, money and time wasted. Bass traps and sound-deadening material to reduce reflections made all the difference in the world - I'm now able to nail a mix in one or two passes (instead of seven).

Good luck and enjoy producing in your home studio!!!

Rich
Rich Martens
| SoundCloud | Twitter | Facebook | Suzanne's TAXI Page |

"Write, submit, forget, repeat."

joshcolemanmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by joshcolemanmusic » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:28 am

Hi Rich
Thanks for that. And you're definitely right that it doesn't feel nearly as sexy of a purchase as new gear does but I could see how it could help!

AndyKotz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by AndyKotz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:46 am

Room treatment???!!!

I'm now doing my work (composing, performing and mixing) in the 77" bunk area of semi-truck!!
I believe that equipment is essential and a necessary evil, but the fact remains... You need experience as to how to achieve the result you seek but you have to be born with good ears and those cannot be bought... (yet)! :mrgreen:
"After silence... that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible... is music" -- Aldous Huxley

AKMusic Productions
ImageImage

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:22 pm

If you have Logic 9 then you have a very large collection of gear virtually on your hard drive. You have compressors, EQs, reverbs, synthesizers, mixers and so forth. You have a better studio on your hard drive than most of the records that were made in the 60s!!

I strongly suggest that you learn to use what you have to it's fullest extent before your add more "nice to haves" to the system. You have the basics now with the exception of decent speakers and some basic room treatment. I heartily agree that some basic room treatment will give you more bang for your buck than some fancy new whiz bang plugin that you won't be able to hear the subtlety of anyway because your room acoustics are so bad!

If you are not super familiar with the basics of recording and mixing, then you already have an embarrassment of riches to learn with right there on your computer.

As I mentioned in another post, you need to get the basics under you belt and gain an understanding of what you are hearing. Once you've graduated out of (to use a wine metaphor) "Two Buck Chuck" taste then you can start buying better bottles because you'll be able to taste the difference. Until then it's all just sour grape juice!!

To be redundant (see my signature), it's not the gear, it's the ear. And you have to develop your ear so you can appreciate what all that gear can do for you.

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:45 pm

mazz wrote:If you have Logic 9 then you have a very large collection of gear virtually on your hard drive. You have compressors, EQs, reverbs, synthesizers, mixers and so forth. You have a better studio on your hard drive than most of the records that were made in the 60s!!
that's a pretty good point. the virtual instruments in Logic are decent - the string samples are apparently from stuff VSL recorded. Getting to really know what works in Logic is going to give you a better idea of what you are missing if anything.

there is lots within logic to make the sounds, and the mix stuff is great. a good place to start with that.

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Yeah, the room treatment issue effects how well your mixes translate to other systems (i.e the end users or customers).

I use bass traps, isolation pads (under my monitors), acoustic panels (on my walls) & IK Multimedia ARC room correction. My setup has taken me some time & money to achieve and it's not perfect, but I'm beginning to get some results I'm feeling confident with. :)

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix