Advice On This Cover Song Please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

FreddieK
Active
Active

Advice On This Cover Song Please

Post by FreddieK » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:40 pm

Can you guys check out my arrangement, Mix and all and let me know what you think?
Just took this song and did it my own way.
Trying to figure this stuff out ... Not easy, as well as ya'll know... Trying to learn... I appreciate your pro ears!!!

https://www.taxi.com/members/ipTNP6cTRX ... ith-cover-

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Advice On This Cover Song Please

Post by funsongs » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:37 pm

From an old-guy, CSN fan, lurking and listening from the peanut gallery (my usual seat)...
Interesting concept & arrangement. Very tough to COVER such an epic song that primarily rides on the great vocal harmonies.
My 'producer' ears were wanting to hear some changes in the intensity... all of the sections were pretty much the same dynamic;
not much back-off, then build-up, to distinguish the verses from the chorus. The production quality itself sounded fine, IMHO;
except that - as mostly a solo vocal: I would've brought your lead vocal volume up, more in front - maybe as much as 2db in this mix.

3 pennies' worth. Overall - good job.
Interested to read what more experience ears' comments will be.
Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: oh yeah - really like the voice/vocal: is that you singing?
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

FreddieK
Active
Active

Post by FreddieK » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:58 pm

funsongs wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:37 pm
From an old-guy, CSN fan, lurking and listening from the peanut gallery (my usual seat)...
Interesting concept & arrangement. Very tough to COVER such an epic song that primarily rides on the great vocal harmonies.
My 'producer' ears were wanting to hear some changes in the intensity... all of the sections were pretty much the same dynamic;
not much back-off, then build-up, to distinguish the verses from the chorus. The production quality itself sounded fine, IMHO;
except that - as mostly a solo vocal: I would've brought your lead vocal volume up, more in front - maybe as much as 2db in this mix.

3 pennies' worth. Overall - good job.
Interested to read what more experience ears' comments will be.
Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: oh yeah - really like the voice/vocal: is that you singing?
First or all ... Thanks so much for taking the time to give this song a listen! Your suggestions make very good sense!
This song is kind of difficult because the verse and chorus melody are close to the same... It does sound a bit linear in that like you said
sections were pretty much the same dynamic ... I think I'll try to drop some instruments out in the verse to give it more contrast...
at least in the first verse. maybe break it down more after the lead... Like the idea of pushing the lead vocal up as much as 2db in the mix!
As far as production It's a one man show Ha! Me singing Lead and Backgrounds ... playing and programing everything else...
Hopefully others will have some Ideas and advice as well :)

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:23 am

nice effort! The EQ is off-balance though, there's way too much low-end in it. Bass and kick are thomping out.

FreddieK
Active
Active

Post by FreddieK » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:47 pm

Zaychi wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:23 am
nice effort! The EQ is off-balance though, there's way too much low-end in it. Bass and kick are thomping out.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll dial back the low end EQ on the Bass & Kick :)

FreddieK
Active
Active

Post by FreddieK » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:46 pm

I really thank you for the feedback!
Took ya'lls advice and finally got around to editing and re-mixing this Cover song.
Hopefully I made it better thanks to the advice... Your Opinions are greatly appreciated!
It helps to get better at this stuff! :)

https://www.taxi.com/members/ipTNP6cTRX ... ith-cover-

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:14 am

A nice cover version , slightly marred for me by the constant HH in the RH speaker that's too loud ....I know it's probably technically in the correct pan position too but I think if you lowered it a few db and tucked it back in slightly it wouldn't sound so disconnected from the rest of the kit...at the moment it's the loudest/widest thing in the mix.

Generally I could use more low end - it's a bit lightweight in the lower octaves but I like it overall , nice work.

Mark

FreddieK
Active
Active

Post by FreddieK » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:06 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:14 am
A nice cover version , slightly marred for me by the constant HH in the RH speaker that's too loud ....I know it's probably technically in the correct pan position too but I think if you lowered it a few db and tucked it back in slightly it wouldn't sound so disconnected from the rest of the kit...at the moment it's the loudest/widest thing in the mix.

Generally I could use more low end - it's a bit lightweight in the lower octaves but I like it overall , nice work.

Mark
Thanks for your help Mark!
Going to take your advice and bring the High Hat down and put more low end in the Mix.
If you don't mind me asking... What monitors do you use? I Have the original Mackie HR824 ... Kind of wanting to up grade to something different that might be more accurate.
I think it's awesome that you and everyone on the forum reaches out to help each other !!! :)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:56 am

FreddieK wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:06 pm
Thanks for your help Mark!
Going to take your advice and bring the High Hat down and put more low end in the Mix.
If you don't mind me asking... What monitors do you use? I Have the original Mackie HR824 ... Kind of wanting to up grade to something different that might be more accurate.
I think it's awesome that you and everyone on the forum reaches out to help each other !!! :)
I have a pair of APS Klassik 2020 and still have my old monitors hooked up with a switch box which are the original Adam A7's , then a single Avantone mix cube for lo-fi/mono checking. All in a treated room and running through Sonarworks Reference.

Mark