after the forward

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andy1324
Active
Active

after the forward

Post by andy1324 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:24 am

this question has probably been asked already, but I searched and couldn't find it so here goes

what typically happens after a forward in terms of someone who decides theyre interested in your track, do they call you? do they send you an email? what are typical experiances in length of time for a library or supervisor to contact you to take the next steps?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: after the forward

Post by Casey H » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:22 pm

You may hear back in days, weeks, months, years, or never. It's a very competitive world out there so although your music is sent to an important player in the industry, those folks get a lot of music from a lot of sources.

Usually the contact is by email but occasionally it's by phone. Email is the norm nowadays. I've been contacted within 1-2 days of a forward, months later, or even a year later. But it's pretty common, however, to never get contacted at all.

We have the expression... Write, Submit Forget, Repeat.

Best
:D Casey

erynmichel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by erynmichel » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:46 am

Casey H wrote:You may hear back in days, weeks, months, years, or never. It's a very competitive world out there so although your music is sent to an important player in the industry, those folks get a lot of music from a lot of sources.

Usually the contact is by email but occasionally it's by phone. Email is the norm nowadays. I've been contacted within 1-2 days of a forward, months later, or even a year later. But it's pretty common, however, to never get contacted at all.

We have the expression... Write, Submit Forget, Repeat.

Best
:D Casey
Great advice, Casey. My family was so excited for my forwards and they said, “Ok so when do you hear yes or no?” I said some variation of what you said—could be tomorrow, could be next week, most likely never. They half-jokingly said, “Why are you putting yourself through that??”

I personally love that element of surprise, and that’s why we have to be so organized about our materials! What if they call in a year and need it in an hour? (Not as common with Libraries maybe? But it has happened to songwriter friends of mine... seven years later is the latest I’ve heard).

andy1324
Active
Active

Post by andy1324 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:55 am

thanks all,
I figured as much, but its good to help solidify my perceptions..

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:38 am

erynmichel wrote: I personally love that element of surprise, and that’s why we have to be so organized about our materials! What if they call in a year and need it in an hour? (Not as common with Libraries maybe? But it has happened to songwriter friends of mine... seven years later is the latest I’ve heard).
Yup... I'm always patient. I only check my email every 30 milliseconds now. :P :lol: