Age old question - ascap or bmi for prs member?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pepeluis
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Age old question - ascap or bmi for prs member?

Post by pepeluis » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:34 am

Hi Folks,
I am sure this question has been asked numerous times but I need to get some advice and thoughts. Sorry if it has been answered before

I am UK based writer signed to PRS.
My film /TV placements have all been for US made productions and acquired by US libraries.
I am in the process of registering a new instrumental on PRS and am asked to select either BMI or ASCAP to collect US royalties. I think the default selection on prs is ascap and I don’t remember having been asked to select each time I register a new work.
I contacted the library who has accepted the track into their catalogue and they are OK with whatever option I choose. as long as I let them know if I switch so they can register the track with BMI.
I am unsure whether it is worth deviating from the default ascap setting but have read that BMI pay better for background music with vocals than ASCAP.. Most of my placements have been just that so wondering if it’s worth switching.
Would there be any delays in receiving payments if I do so or any other disadvantages? I am assuming that all my US royalties will then be collected .by BMI from that point onwards? The same library does also get some placements for my instrumentals but I think my best earners currently are with vocals.
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
PepeLuis

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Age old question - ascap or bmi for prs member?

Post by JohnnyP » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:29 pm

pepeluis wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:34 am
Hi Folks,
I am sure this question has been asked numerous times but I need to get some advice and thoughts. Sorry if it has been answered before

My film /TV placements have all been for US made productions and acquired by US libraries.
I am in the process of registering a new instrumental on PRS and am asked to select either BMI or ASCAP to collect US royalties. I think the default selection on prs is ascap and I don’t remember having been asked to select each time I register a new work.
I contacted the library who has accepted the track into their catalogue and they are OK with whatever option I choose. as long as I let them know if I switch so they can register the track with BMI.
I am unsure whether it is worth deviating from the default ascap setting but have read that BMI pay better for background music with vocals than ASCAP.. Most of my placements have been just that so wondering if it’s worth switching.
Would there be any delays in receiving payments if I do so or any other disadvantages? I am assuming that all my US royalties will then be collected .by BMI from that point onwards? The same library does also get some placements for my instrumentals but I think my best earners currently are with vocals.
Thanks,
PepeLuis
Hey Pepe,
If you ask me to compare ascap and BMI I would say BMI for sure.

I write vocal songs as you do. Many of my co-writers have made the switch to BMI and are noticing larger payouts.

I think the clincher for one of my co-writers was when he and another co-writer both received their statement (that included one particular song they had written). The BMI amt for that song was nearly dbl the ascap amt.

Yes there was a lag in payments but it all catches up eventually. Best of luck! John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:02 pm

JohnnyP wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:29 pm
pepeluis wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:34 am
Hi Folks,

Thanks,
PepeLuis
Yes there was a lag in payments but it all catches up eventually. Best of luck! John
what kind of lag are you experiencing johnny? atm im 2-3QTRs behind on a few placements with BMI and communications is poor with them

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:11 pm

My co-writer was seeing about a 2 qtr lag. It may depend on what part of the quarter you switch “ boats”. Usually BMI is good at email response. They’ve fixed some cue sheets for me within a week or so.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

pepeluis
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pepeluis » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:49 am

Thanks to all of you for your replies.
In the end I chose to stick with ASCAP simply because I was wary of switching and having any payment delays due to the change. It wasn't because I think I will do better with ascap but at that moment I just wanted to decide then get the track processed by the library. Was feeling a bit overwhelmed with the decision at the time .
In the light of your comments I think I will switch when my ascap membership expires (is it 2 years?). I feel a bit gutted if it means less income but I made the decision rightly or wrongly so will have to live with it for a few years.
Thank you very much.
PepeLuis