AI Generated Hits

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: AI Generated Hits

Post by JohnnyP » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Interesting link. I've been hearing about this for a while and the thought of AI actually generating/creating the music can be a bit scary to say the least. The PMA conference in LA this month (Sep '18) is doing a seminar on AI generated music which is one reason I'll be there. I guess bottom line is no matter how things change we have to change with them, or at least adapt.
Thanks for sharing, Best, John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:52 pm

“A.I.” is a bit of a stretch. From what I remember of a presentation I saw, it paints by numbers and the numbers are samples played by actual musicians. It doesnt generate any musical components from scratch.

Unless you saw something different. This is how I interpreted what the rep was saying.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:54 pm

ochaim wrote:“A.I.” is a bit of a stretch. From what I remember of a presentation I saw, it paints by numbers and the numbers are samples played by actual musicians. It doesnt generate any musical components from scratch.

Unless you saw something different. This is how I interpreted what the rep was saying.
I remember something I read as well awhile back also. I think"machine learning" is probably the form most think of when describing ai.https://www.sas.com/en_us/insights/anal ... rning.html
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by fuzzbox » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:51 am

AI in industry is fantastic! It's been around for many, many years! Solving maths problems, learning/adapting on the fly, controlling sophisticated machines in real-time. It is very good. AI in art or art forms... that's another matter! Like the Turning test. Can you tell it is a human or a computer completing the form? 95/100 you can tell. Maybe in future years it will become less so.

In music, t is already here. For example, LANDR, iZotope, OZONE, Cubase has some elements of AI. I'm sure other DAWs have parts that use AI.

So, we're already using it as a tool and a collaborator. But we're in control... for now! LOL :lol:

The lady in the video knows very little about music theory, so she relies on it more than a musician with a level of theory would, so consequently, uses/relies on it more. Certainly, for a source of inspiration

For me this is a marketing video! When Amper becomes self-aware, then we should worry! LOL :lol:
ImageImage

All You Need Is Ears - Sir George Martin
The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:58 am

I'm all about almost anything that makes it easier to transfer the emotion we feel in our heart and soul onto a set of speakers. And I'm also about learning the effects on our industry from other sources. Unbelievably there are people in my neck of the woods (Nashville) who still feel if a song was performed using midi or software it isn't "real music".
That being said I'm really curious about "AI" in current and future music. Here's a synopsis (from the PMA website) of the seminar I'm attending this month. I'll do my best to post my thoughts afterward. Best, John
AI is now creating original music for clients who previously licensed music. It’s no longer just a pipe dream. With the technology’s ability to quickly scale, the quality of the AI generated (and assisted) music is getting better everyday. What does this mean for composers and publishers? How can we all best prepare for a future where we may be competing with AI generated music? How good is the technology now and how soon do we think it will get to human level abilities (or is it already there?)? What are the copyright and royalty ramifications of AI generated music? This panel will show you what AI can do now, where it’s going and how we can best prepare ourselves for the future. Join us for an engaging panel where we’ll hear the latest AI created music and discuss its future with the creators of 2 AI companies (with different business/music models) and an expert attorney on copyright law.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shoodBworkin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:38 am

Maybe the best music in any genre enables you to discover (or recover) certain feelings within yourself. AI generated music is probably okay for television as tv shows use music to tell you how to feel about what you’re seeing on the screen. Skynet is probably good at making HAPPY or SAD or OMINOUS . . .

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodymessiah » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:17 pm

well well, here's one of her songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkN5NiD7zJ8

i think i wanna marry her :lol:

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Oh Mmm Ggggggg Melody! I had to watch til the smelly end. I think AI could replictae that, iron filings and hydrochloric acid! Nicely done...
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com