AKG K812PRO Superior Reference Headphones - can anyone recommend them?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: AKG K812PRO Superior Reference Headphones - can anyone recommend them?

Post by Len911 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:21 pm

hey Tom! it's been almost a year and I was considering the same.

I think I finally concluded that within a certain range there seems to be diminishing returns. I watched review after review, "audiophile and younger ears than mine" and ended up with these
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennhei ... dphones-eu
if you are in the US(https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennhei ... headphones)

My other phones are AKG K271 closed back, and also wanted an open back. I am pleased with my purchase.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:48 pm

the 58x is only available through Drop. Drop is like a group buy, a group of interested individuals spec and work with companies, usually you commit and purchase before the mfg run is made, and then a month or so later is shipped. Popular items
they keep on hand in a warehouse and ship immediately. Let's say you start a thread on a forum that you are interested in the akg812 pro, if there is enough interest, they contact AKG and you work out and spec an akg812, but it would be spec'd
different and need a minimum number per run etc., there might be only minor deviations but they might call it Akg812xxxpro or similar. It's all explained on their website.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:35 pm
For several reasons, I mostly have to use earphones for music production. I am not entirely happy with the ones that I currently have. The AKG K812PRO headphones seem to get excellent reviews, and I see a deal at the moment where I can buy them for "only" 550 Euros (ca. 600 Dollars, apparently they have been sold for 1400 in some places before).

Generally, I want headphones that cover the entire ear, have no noise-cancellation, and are open (anti-sweat). The AKG K-812 ticks all these boxes. I read a longer review by someone who listens to classical music and raves about them. Obviously, I do not produce that type of music, but if the headphones are good enough to make a symphonic orchestra sound great in all detail, I should be okay, right?

Does anyone have these earphones and can recommend them? Or any other thoughts about or issues with headphones that I should be aware of?

Tom
Hi Tom,
Those are nice..they come both in closed back for mixing and open back for listening so I am assuming you got the closed back for recording, mixing and what ever else...yes I am going to purchase my third one since the Sony one that I paid $200.00 for the fake leather is flaking..but my AKG one that are cheaper and sound better are not.

Good luck and hope your Audio interface arrives soon..you are gonna love it.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Thu May 14, 2020 11:59 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:33 pm
gitanosoy wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 pm
Hi Tom,
Those are nice..they come both in closed back for mixing and open back for listening so I am assuming you got the closed back for recording, mixing and what ever else...yes I am going to purchase my third one since the Sony one that I paid $200.00 for the fake leather is flaking..but my AKG one that are cheaper and sound better are not.

Good luck and hope your Audio interface arrives soon..you are gonna love it.
Hi Andre

I think the AKG 872 is the closed one, which apparently separates even better (and is a little more expensive, too). The 812 I got according to AKG is for long mixing and listening sessions. That is what I need because my ears need to breath when they spend the whole evening under those while producing (not just mixing) especially in summer. I could not do closed... So, for my purposes they seem to be the right choice (also my personal impression so far). But if you want a pair just for mixing, the 872 might be the one for you.

For mixing, I will not just rely on these. I listen a lot to my stuff on mobile and smaller devices, as this is how most music is consumed (my wife watches many shows just on her iPad...). Another important thing is my car stereo. This thing is so biased towards bass and treble, it makes everything sound way different. So, if I have the time, I try to make a track sound OK on “all” devices. :)

Tom
Okay..thanks Tom..I will look into it...yeah when I mix it is more with my monitors... the one you got are high end ones.. have fun.