We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bwd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: All Good (instrumental)

Post by bwd » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi Magne,
Lovely vibe here. That tremolo guitar is great. That's a cool airy rolling snare. I hear quite a few pitch problems with the slide guitar. Maybe melodyne would help there? I've never tried it. I usually just have to do about a hundred takes when I try to play slide - then find the best ones. It's pretty hit and miss! I'd love to be able to find that smooth tonal centre the way Bonnie Raitt does!
Cheers,
Doug

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks Doug,

Appreciate your comments! I'd rather re-record the lead guitar until it sits, than editing it in Melodyne. Way more fun, and probably faster too (at least in experienced time). Yeah, Bonnie Raitt absolutely kills it, and so does Ry. I was going for something very subtle here, though, hoping that'll keep it in the "useable" domain :-) The basic idea came from the tremolo guitar track. Appreciate the comment on the drums too. It's something I put in a lot of effort on.
Ceo of my own life

SuzanneSchnite
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SuzanneSchnite » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 am

The slightly pitchy slide doesn't bother me as much as the drums being too dominant in the mix. Great song with a super cool vibe to it - definitely a winner. Just back of the drums and bit and re-record that slide guitar and you'll have yourself a nice broadcast-quality recording in the bag for a TAXI pitch!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks Suzanne, if I had a thumbs-up button, I would use it :-)
I need to remix the track from the guitars, that should naturally place the drums further back i the overall mix.

Good luck in your efforts as well!
Ceo of my own life

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Super cool vibe Magne! I liked the drums up front but thought perhaps the kick was a little too tight, i would be curious to hear a kick with a bit more ring to it. Yeah the pitchy slide caught my ear once or twice. Killer tune though, really diggin' it!

eo

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:41 am

10 years after! I did a digital release of this to my sync licensing portfolio.

But just wanted to show the final result, and that running tracks through the peer to peer forum really is helpful.
It prompted important changes and improvements (re-recorded the slide, new drums ect.).

Thanks to all who did comment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlnvpE80x04
Ceo of my own life