All in the Song...

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jbeck
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

All in the Song...

Post by jbeck » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 am

Has anyone ever noticed how one good song can sometimes be a catalyst to turn-around a mediocre career for a well-known singer/group? Or at least cause people to briefly take note of them?I'm thinking about Joe Nichols, (country) When he first became pretty well-known he had some decent songs..I mean he got radio play/video play out them quite a bit..but he didn't really stand out amongst everyone else in the pack.He just recently released "I'll Wait For You" and it is so fitting for his voice and yet it has a great story line..kind of draws you into the song to hear the rest of the story..It could actually pick his career up. I took a second look at him, maybe it was because he had upped his image a bit and did something with those eyebrows..that's mean isn't it.. Do you know of other songs that did something similar for an artist/group?

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: All in the Song...

Post by edteja » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:50 am

George Benson--Masquerade
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

jbeck
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jbeck » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:57 am

Here's a link to George Benson's music if anyone wants to listen:http://www.rhapsody.com/georgebenson/more.html

jbeck
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jbeck » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:59 am

Anyone know if he wrote most of his own stuff?

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:24 am

Quote:Has anyone ever noticed how one good song can sometimes be a catalyst to turn-around a mediocre career for a well-known singer/group? Or at least cause people to briefly take note of them?I'm thinking about Joe Nichols, (country) When he first became pretty well-known he had some decent songs..I mean he got radio play/video play out them quite a bit..but he didn't really stand out amongst everyone else in the pack.He just recently released "I'll Wait For You" and it is so fitting for his voice and yet it has a great story line..kind of draws you into the song to hear the rest of the story..It could actually pick his career up. I took a second look at him, maybe it was because he had upped his image a bit and did something with those eyebrows..that's mean isn't it.. Do you know of other songs that did something similar for an artist/group?Hey, Jbeck. I just LOVE "I'll Wait For You." That's sort of an overused line in country music, (ill wait for you) but somehows, Joe Nichols song makes it sound fresh again....such a heartfelt and beautiful tune. I like all the contrasts music wise in the song....the melody just flows.As far as giving artists second chances again, one example I can think of is John Anderson. He had a huge hit with "Swinging" in the 80s, and then around early to mid nineties, his career revived again with the songs like "Seminole Wind" and "Straight Tequila Night." John Anderson is one of my faves.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:29 am

I'll add to that....John Anderson has a new song out called "A Woman Knows."

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm

Even more fascinating. What about the one hit wonders. One good song. Then into oblivion they go!
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:03 pm

Hey, Jeffe....one hit wonders......remember The Pina Cola Song......well, we all might be too young to remember that one. Forgot who wrote it, but we never heard anymore from the guy.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:12 pm

Pina Cola?Do you mean Pina Colada?There was a hit called 'Escape(The Pina Colada song) by Rupert Holmes. That's probably the one, and yes. I remember it.He probably wrote the one hit then remained constantly drunk on Pina Colada's, and probably still is to this day. Too much Pineapple!!!
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:20 pm

Quote:Pina Cola?Do you mean Pina Colada?There was a hit called 'Escape(The Pina Colada song) by Rupert Holmes. That's probably the one, and yes. I remember it.He probably wrote the one hit then remained constantly drunk on Pina Colada's, and probably still is to this day. Too much Pineapple!!! LOL, oh man....yes, Pina COLADA....sorry, hehe. I actually went to dinner tonight, and I drank a Pina Colada....maybe that's why I'm so fuzzy headed, and I typed it wrong. I usually don't drink them...kind of sweet for me, but I was in the mood for it.Yes, that's him, Rupert Holmes. Maybe I should go drink another Pina 'Cola.'