All the Tea in China

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

All the Tea in China

Post by nick.moxsom » Mon May 09, 2011 5:51 pm

Posted a message on the collaboration forum a few weeks ago looking for lyrics to write to. Magne got back to me with some words which we have modified, and this is our combined effort. Still working on dynamics (and pitchy vocals, as ever), but we need some brutal feedback from you all on genre, potential usage, arrangement, mix etc.

The song is called "All the Tea in China" and is available below.

Thanks in advance.

Nick (and Magne).

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: All the Tea in China

Post by eeoo » Mon May 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Hey guys - Nice collab, I dig the tune itself but I'm not crazy about the production. I think the synth patches your using make it sound kinda dated. I would love to hear this done up from more of an acoustic guitar base, with more of a straight beat with real sounding drums and build it up from there but that's my personal taste and bias obviously. Myabe try replacing that synth with some strummed acoustic?

Nice tune guys, keep workin' it...

eo

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nick.moxsom » Mon May 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Nice, Ethan.

Back to basics. Fair shout.

Nick

thokus
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by thokus » Tue May 10, 2011 3:31 am

Nick and the gang , real cool tune .. mood setter. I tend to agree with etahn , acoustic guitar would be nice.. Maybe make the bass more of a jazz/slap bass. bring it up just a touch .. the vocals are real nice , love your voice, just needs a touch of mixing to blend it into the song a little better. Backup singers sound great . Maybe just a tiny bit of reverb...This is gonna be great. Kepp us posted on the updates ..
Tom

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue May 10, 2011 7:51 am

Nice song! I don't know about the production but as a song, I like it a lot! It seems like a good film/TV song. Acoustic guitar does sound like a good idea... Something bright and bouncy maybe...

You didn't post the lyrics but one thing jumped out at me... The first line, "You've been my one companion"... It's minor but the word "companion" bothered me. I guess Ralph Murphy's "What's in it for the woman?" stays in my head sometimes. The word might not be romantic enough from a woman's perspective... What would a woman want to hear? Maybe some women will chime in...

Good luck with it!
:) Casey

AlpacaRoom
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AlpacaRoom » Tue May 10, 2011 8:06 am

eeoo wrote:Hey guys - Nice collab, I dig the tune itself but I'm not crazy about the production. I think the synth patches your using make it sound kinda dated. I would love to hear this done up from more of an acoustic guitar base, with more of a straight beat with real sounding drums and build it up from there but that's my personal taste and bias obviously. Myabe try replacing that synth with some strummed acoustic?
Agreed--this is a nice little song, but the synths and super-wet production make it sound a little dated. There are lots of retro synths in modern productions, but they're mostly really lo-fi patches in pop productions. I think a bouncy acoustic guitar and a little backbeat would kick this up a lot. I do really dig the organ swell (!!) , and those BG vox are sweet. Nice work!

-Nick

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nick.moxsom » Tue May 10, 2011 11:30 am

Tom, Casey, Nick

Thanks, guys, for your comments. This actually started out as an acoustic-based song, a la the great James Taylor (at least, in my head it did), and what I'm hearing is that it should return to just that. And Casey, thanks for the Ralph Murphy reminder. VERY important point.

Nick

ChristopherSwain
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ChristopherSwain » Wed May 11, 2011 6:57 am

thats a pretty cool Paul Young sound you got going there.

All the tea in china is quite risky title, who your audience with this? as american's don't drink tea so probably wouldn't connect. What's so great about tea lol.

It's quite clever but I personally don't find tea of much importance, maybe too clever for me to relate to.

Where ever I leave my hat, thats my home :)
If it wasn't for the good souls, life would not matter

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Swains-Pi ... 2206989953

http://www.taxi.com/cpswain

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nick.moxsom » Wed May 11, 2011 8:55 am

Ouch!

Paul Young. That hurt (lol).

Agreed, I hold my hands up, it's a very dated synth sound. It's a fair kop. I dunno what I was thinking.

Magne is going to work on an acoustic-based version tomorrow, see if we can't lick this one into proper shape.

Wherever I lay my hat. you can bet your life Paul Young's not gonna be able to wear it. Haha!

Nick

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Wed May 11, 2011 9:09 am

hey Don't knock a good cup o Christopher : P
. but as for tea - Chinese tea is pants!

"All the tea in Yorkshire " ?

- now tht's a proper brew!