Committed Musician

" . . . all the way!" (Stomp, Clap Cue)

Post by johndalenow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:29 am

" . . . all the way!"
Edit Delete post Report this post Quote
Post by johndalenow » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:14 pm
More like the "Siege" than "London Bridge."

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... tohuLtJxYa

ANTHEMIC STOMP-CLAP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an EXCLUSIVE, LA-based Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for Movie Trailers, TV, Films, and Video Games.

This Company is looking for Instrumentals in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references we got directly from them:

WARNING: The references may include graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"The Drum" by The Seige

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ujRptOjoAQ

"London Bridge" by Fergie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKDaogkvGgg

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this pitch.

NOTE: We realize that these references are pretty different from each other genre-wise. We think you can get pretty creative in your approach, instrumentation, and mood; but an obvious, anthemic stomp-clap beat should be the base of your pieces.

Please submit modern Instrumental Cues with anthemic stomp-clap rhythms. Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure your production is polished and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and fresh.

Submissions should be about 90 seconds to 3 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the material you submit for this request CANNOT be signed with other publishers or catalogs. Sync fees will be split 50/50. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by a TAXI screener. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Sunday, August 1st, 2021. TAXI # S210801AP

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: " . . . all the way!" (Stomp, Clap Cue)

Post by AlanHall » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:30 pm

Are you seeking comments?
What I hear as a difference is ambience and grit. You track needs a little more glue (room sound, saturation, compression, whatever it takes) to make it believable. It's too clean right now. As ML would say, it's an A- and needs to be an A+. Other than that I think it fits well with the listing.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: " . . . all the way!" (Stomp, Clap Cue)

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:00 am

I'd say that Alan's right, it needs some glue of sorts.

The ref track you're being guided by has a few clues even before listening. Its called 'The Drum', so that suggests the most important instrument. Across the first screen on youtube it says 'Boneshaker', so that sets up my expectations for a real thumping sound. I hear a great kick, a fat snare sound that mostly includes the clap, although the clap drops out at 1m for a while, sometimes drums drop, and there's the occasional triplet for punctuation. The drums would make a good track even is they were on their own. If you can get to that point everything else is icing on the cake and ear candy. Speaking of which, there are bits of samples flying in here and there to keep it from getting monotonous and to provide sectional contrast, and the guitar additions grow - all good stuff that would earn brownie points from any listener. So, I'd say try some more variation in your drum pattern, add/drop parts and try some more sounds to stave off monotony.

I'm not a fan of the lead synth in your track although I know you were influenced by the ref track, and that probably uses a fuzzy bass guitar. Maybe try carving your synth sound with some EQ to make it a little more like that ref sound. If you take out some high end maybe, then futz it up a bit more with some saturation? Not sure exactly what it needs but I'd be aiming to make it sit better with whatever drums you end up with.

The other synth sounds in your track are a bit retro, which is not always a bad thing but I reckon they might be risking the dreaded 'dated' comment from a screener. The ref track has a few less obvious sounds, but also vocal chops and chants, plus the building guitar layers. On the face of it, its a simple track but there's a lot going on to keep a listener's attention. Take a note of all the parts, and how they enter and drop out through the track, and it'll give a sense of how to arrange to maintain that interest.

Good luck.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.