Ambient Meditation Forward

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Ambient Meditation Forward

Post by AlanHall » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:47 am

Is it not PC to refer to this kind of music as 'new age' any longer? :?

I got a forward on Candle Flame for S210904AM. I've had a different track forwarded to a similar past listing, looking forward to more listings in this vein.

TimHarrison
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Ambient Meditation Forward

Post by TimHarrison » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 am

Congrats on your forward! I listened to it on Soundcloud, very nice work. What synths did you use? It took me ages to get the right sound

Tim Harrison

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:07 am

TimHarrison wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 am
Congrats on your forward! I listened to it on Soundcloud, very nice work. What synths did you use? It took me ages to get the right sound

Tim Harrison
Thanks, Tim! What I used on this track was an ageing gracefully Alesis QS6 which came out when wavetables and simple oscillators were use to prop up the limited storage space available for full-length samples. There's lots of patches that have a nice hybrid electro-acoustic sound simply from their built-in limitations. That plus an acoustic guitar, and lots and lots of reverb and other channel effects.

Which leads me to a business-related question: one reason I used the QS6 was to minimize the effort I needed to get the sounds I wanted. Given the nature of the proposed deal (background music for guided meditation, I'm assuming via streaming service) I figure the couple-hundred-dollar figure is a buyout with very little - if any - in the way of backend. I read that BMI distributes $40 per million (!) streams. If you were approached to deliver more tracks, how much time would you consider appropriate for the task? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:15 am

Congrats on the forward. The first title/link you provided leads back to the TAXI home page - maybe try fixing that...?

PC??
Maybe you have to be a Senior Citizen and/or retirement age to still refer to a piece of ethereal music as "New Age".
If you're under 30 - then it's whatever the current genre term is, per those who sign, use, and accept them into music libraries. :? :P

I'll go check out that title on your Soundcloud page - that's where us fixed-income retired Old Guys hang our hats these days...
you know - the hats we wear to hide any thinning going on on top. :? :P

HTH, cheers.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:26 am

"Ambient" - sounds less like a term for music, and more like a word for an old person who needs a walker or a cane - as in the definition being:
"a person who needs device in order to be able to walk by themselves - without another person's aide." :? :P

Or - as my brother likes to say,
"Getting old aint for sissies."
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

TimHarrison
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TimHarrison » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:00 am

AlanHall wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:07 am
TimHarrison wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 am

Tim Harrison
Which leads me to a business-related question: one reason I used the QS6 was to minimize the effort I needed to get the sounds I wanted. Given the nature of the proposed deal (background music for guided meditation, I'm assuming via streaming service) I figure the couple-hundred-dollar figure is a buyout with very little - if any - in the way of backend. I read that BMI distributes $40 per million (!) streams. If you were approached to deliver more tracks, how much time would you consider appropriate for the task? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?
That makes sense to me. No point in spending so much effort for virtually no backend. Ok for money up front though. I used some Zebra sounds from the Nordic snow soundset (The Unfinished) and spitfires Pianobook instrument Winter Voices, then made my own Serum patch which was surprisingly easy to do

Tim

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:10 pm

I just took a look at serum, seems to be all the good things about synthesis with all the perks of graphic editing. Much better than pressing up/down buttons or spinning a wheel. I'd be curious how you like serum once you've lived with it awhile ;) The other instruments/sound libs I've not heard about. The Unfinished website confused me a little bit about what needs to be present to play which libraries. But the Nordic soundset was very interesting! Looking forward to hearing more from you with these tools!

I've got one foot in the past, and one foot on a computer (literally, FedEx has it stuck in a distribution center so probably someone else has their feet on it at the moment) that's new enough to actually run some of the current VSTs. Once I upgrade my studio, I'll have to learn what it takes to be "current". I think I'll be pleasantly surprised!

TimHarrison
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TimHarrison » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:21 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:10 pm
I just took a look at serum, seems to be all the good things about synthesis with all the perks of graphic editing. Much better than pressing up/down buttons or spinning a wheel. I'd be curious how you like serum once you've lived with it awhile ;) The other instruments/sound libs I've not heard about. The Unfinished website confused me a little bit about what needs to be present to play which libraries. But the Nordic soundset was very interesting! Looking forward to hearing more from you with these tools!

I've got one foot in the past, and one foot on a computer (literally, FedEx has it stuck in a distribution center so probably someone else has their feet on it at the moment) that's new enough to actually run some of the current VSTs. Once I upgrade my studio, I'll have to learn what it takes to be "current". I think I'll be pleasantly surprised!
I didn't use serum much when I first got it but decided to have a play around with it recently and realised that it's quite easy to create your own patches. I use Zebra a lot! And usually many instances of it at a time. When you get your computer, check out Spitfire Audio-they have a product called Labs, which are free and very contemporary. The next level up for spitfire is their originals series which sell for £29.00/$29.00each and are fun to use. I used to struggle with a laptop that was getting on a bit but since last year built my own PC (with a lot of help from my Nephew).
I have an ssd drive (which is filling up) and 16gb ram (needs increasing soon) and 8 core Intel processor which is very fast. This journey does cost money!

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:42 pm

TimHarrison wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:21 pm
AlanHall wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:10 pm

I didn't use serum much when I first got it but decided to have a play around with it recently and realised that it's quite easy to create your own patches. I use Zebra a lot! And usually many instances of it at a time. When you get your computer, check out Spitfire Audio-they have a product called Labs, which are free and very contemporary. The next level up for spitfire is their originals series which sell for £29.00/$29.00each and are fun to use. I used to struggle with a laptop that was getting on a bit but since last year built my own PC (with a lot of help from my Nephew).
I have an ssd drive (which is filling up) and 16gb ram (needs increasing soon) and 8 core Intel processor which is very fast. This journey does cost money!
One person who really has set a goal to NOT spend (much?) money on equipment is CWTF (Tom). He claims to use exclusively freeware VIs on his projects, check out his orchestral track of Mozart's 'Queen of the Night'. Great music!
I'm sure that once I have a DAW that can actually run what's currently available, I'll have some fun trying stuff out. Then, most likely, I'll fall down the rabbit hole of playing with stuff to the detriment of actually making stuff. If I ever get to the point of breaking even monetarily, that'll be a win for my lifelong obsession with composition ;)

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:46 pm

funsongs wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:15 am
Maybe you have to be a Senior Citizen and/or retirement age to still refer to a piece of ethereal music as "New Age".
funsongs wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:26 am
"Ambient" - sounds less like a term for music, and more like a word for an old person who needs a walker or a cane.
Hmmm. Are you trying to tell me something about my age demographic? :oops: :lol: