An idea... (maybe a challenge?)

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Re: An idea... (maybe a challenge?)

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:56 pm

Quote: I don't think it's my place to squash other people's dreams.I don't think you are.

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:56 pm

I've always viewed this entire process as a way to get a favorable introduction to the end users of our "product" whether it be a music library, music supervisor, publisher, or even each other.People tend to be attracted to people who are upbeat and build each other up instead of tearing each other down.A recent bit of information that I became aware of by talking to the owner of one of the libraries that I work with is that our "end users" also have access to these forum posts and visit on occasion.I think a potential negative outcome of some of the posts in this thread is the idea of "your reputation has proceeded you" in a favorable introduction created thru a forward.This is a people business and people tend to want to work with people that are reasonable.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Quote:I'm convinced that anybody who was "just as good as me" and did exactly what I did could also become as successful as i did, in this particular field. In fact there are many things I could've done better.The reason I believe this is not cause I'm some wide-eyed idealist or "up with people" Taxi marketer, but because I've seen so many people do it. In fact I've seen people who went back to essentially starting from scratch and repeated their success 2 or 3 times over.You can't compare this to writing or producing or playing, let alone being an artist, for the major record label market.It's a different business. It's a different business from film scoring even.Nobody is saying doing this is easy. It takes an enormous amount of dedication and a willingness to sacrifice. And you can never rest on your laurels. Nor is it for every musician/composer/songwriter. Some would simply not enjoy what I'm doing, and therefore probably not be as good at it. But from everything I've seen, it's not luck. In fact, when talented people don't succeed in this field, it's usually fairly easy to pinpoint why.mattoI wish you could be more specific.The Taxi screening room is full of people talented that have had major success that don't have it any more. (for hummingbird, success meaning people who make their living writing music)I spoke to them personally.If we could name names i could name 10 to your one.And yes, I'm talking writers not musicians and producers.I'm glad you are not taking this personally.I really need this discussion. I really don't like this conclusion I mean that sincerely.

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:13 pm

Quote: A recent bit of information that I became aware of by talking to the owner of one of the libraries that I work with is that our "end users" also have access to these forum posts and visit on occasion.I think a potential negative outcome of some of the posts in this thread is the idea of "your reputation has proceeded you" in a favorable introduction created thru a forward.Are you saying that Taxi gives our real names to music supervisors that visit this site?I thoughtthat we were suppose to be anonymous here.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:14 pm

I don't know how I could be more specific. Except to reiterate I'm not talking about the major label record market, but the music library market.The people who you're alluding to seem to all be from different markets.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:15 pm

You don't want to talk about "the business." Right now, your posts are about rocking the boat, because you are unhappy with your own life, or growth. You prefer to post anonymously, and then purport you're someone we should pay attention to. And really, you're here to waste our time. You may well need this discussion, but ask yourself, why do We need it? You wanna discuss this with the screeners, or Michael, go to the office. You seem to think this isn't how things work in the real world or something, when many of us actually already know, exactly how it is in the real world, and that's why we hang here. We all learn lots, many move on or away from the boards, genuine people who like the vibe around here, STAY. I co-write, advise, play piano or offer any assistance to anyone who I see on the forum, who cares about music, and PEOPLE. You certainly have not met my standards yet, maybe you will. Quote:Are you saying that Taxi gives our real names to music supervisors that visit this site?I thoughtthat we were suppose to be anonymous here.I guess you're gonna start backpedalling now?

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Quote:I don't know how I could be more specific. Except to reiterate I'm not talking about the major label record market, but the music library market.The people who you're alluding to seem to all be from different markets.Ok, maybe.Yes, i guess half of the people I am talking about are song writers trying to get pub deals to major artists.But half are not. I wish I could name names. I could name 5 off the top of my head that wrote for major motion pictures that are broke now.So by default are you agreeing that the record label market is mostly luck?matto, i want to bring up another topic that relates to this that I have not seen discussed here although it may have.i'll post another thread in the general topics.

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:26 pm

Quote:You don't want to talk about "the business." Right now, your posts are about rocking the boat, I won't repond to any more personal attacks.I don't attack you personally.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:32 pm

Quote:I thought that we were suppose to be anonymous here.You may choose to be anonymous. However, I think that people tend to listen more to posters who use/provide their real names. It's perception. It's easy for any anonymous person to create a persona on the web. Using your real name & providing links to your website, etc., makes you sound more legit... and allows more people to find out about you and your music. In addition, this forum is readily available to anyone searching on the net around the globe. In that way, it is not anonymous at all.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:34 pm

Quote:Quote:I thought that we were suppose to be anonymous here.You may choose to be anonymous. However, I think that people tend to listen more to posters who use/provide their real names. It's perception. It's easy for any anonymous person to create a persona on the web. Using your real name & providing links to your website, etc., makes you sound more legit... and allows more people to find out about you and your music. In addition, this forum is readily available to anyone searching on the net around the globe. In that way, it is not anonymous at all.Thats a good point.