An Open Question

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

peterwhitearchive

An Open Question

Post by peterwhitearchive » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:02 am

An open question to my fellow Taxi songwriters/composers. Are you free within yourself to write what you want? I have been reflecting after reaching the inauspicious level of 0 forwards for 18 submissions that the problem has more to do with the fact that I can’t ‘write to order’ and that Taxi (and the music business generally) functions on that requirement i.e. songwriters giving them what they need. This is not a remarkable insight but it left me wondering how many of you have the ability as writers to read a listing and either compose something specifically for it or alter/modify an existing song to fit. I can’t do it. I am assuming that others are able to approach songwriting this way easily or that their way of songwriting is close enough to the kinds of listings available to make a fit. When inspired I can write like crazy. When faced with writing for an industry listing I am like the singing frog in the bugs bunny cartoon that goes mute.I thought that I could overcome this or that I could lean stylistically a bit more this way or that to match an ad but the evidence so far says no. Another way of describing this factor that stands between myself and the music business is something I can only call the muse or whatever you want to call the drive behind musical inspiration. If I assume creative control over what I write than I betray the source and betray myself. I am not so pure that I haven’t tried. Taxi is only the last entry in a long list. The problem is that when I try to do so the juices cease to flow. It’s like love, you can’t force it. At least I can’t.Perhaps I’ll give it one more try, or two or ten. Meanwhile I am interested to hear from other writers of how this process of writing works for them. Are you free to write what you want? Here are two samples of my writing. http://www.peterwhitearchive.com/downlo ... ou.mp3Much more can be heard at my site, www.peterwhitearchive.com Regards, Peter

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: An Open Question

Post by ggalen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:18 am

Peter,Writing "to order" for the commercial market is really a different kind of thing. I bet it surprises many people who try it and find that it takes more than artistic ability to succeed.I suspect that the people who do it well enjoy the "puzzle-solving" aspect of it. Because let's face it, if you are trying to write for a style that you don't personally enjoy, then you just don't get the emotional payoff.Of course you try to choose genres that you like. But maybe that's not always an option, if you are doing it as your main source of income.That said, it's also a numbers game. Maybe 18 submissions is nothing. Have to see what the more successful people say about how many they submit vs how many deals they land.

trentoliphant
Impressive
Impressive

Post by trentoliphant » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:58 am

Personally I love the idea of writing to order - I don't know how good I am at it yet, but that is one of the reasons I joined TAXI. I have often struggled in knowing what to work on. I have lots of good ideas, but without some motivation and deadline, it just doesn't get done. Does that mean I am less an "artist" because I don't have some muse whispering in my ear? Maybe, although I don't believe so. One thing to think about is that even if you write "what you want" - you are still writing to order. It's just that the only one you have to write for is you. To me, writing to order simply means that you are putting your own desires and tastes in line with what others are looking for. Does that mean you are selling out? I guess it depends on what your motivations are. If you want to make music your way and all else be damned, that's fine, just don't expect other people to change to your tastes just because you want them to. For that type of person, TAXI may not make alot of sense. Occasionally something may come up that they might fit, but is the cost/benefit ratio in their favor? I doubt it.All that being said, I believe that the ability to "write to order" is just that - an ability/skill and can be learned. (I at least hope so - otherwise I am wasting my time.) Will you be successful right away? - only if you are a "natural" - but then you probably wouldn't be asking the question.What can you do then?Pick a listing (any one really - it's the skill we are working on).Write something - anythingGet feedback. (You could submit it to the listing - $5, Get a custom critique - $20, post about it on the forums - $0, but your time and participation)Repeat steps 1 - 3The key is the feedback. Writing and writing and writing and writing are important, but without the feedback - how do you know if you are actually achieving your goals?. The people on this forum are excellent at giving specific feedback - especially if you actually listen and implement what they tell you. It's very much a mentorship program. The people giving the feedback have actual success, so the information is valid (at least what I have seen).As I said - I am just in this process myself. I know that I need to write more. The more I write the faster I can improve.

trentoliphant
Impressive
Impressive

Post by trentoliphant » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:08 am

Just an addendum to my own post.With regard to the creative juices flowing. Maybe one of the reasons the juices can't flow when writing this way is because there is no pathway for them to flow through - you don't have the skill. I compose mostly on the piano. If I didn't know how to play the piano - I couldn't compose. As my skill in the piano increases my ability to compose expands. Each instrument I learn gives me access to greater creative abilities. If I can't play the guitar - my ability to compose on and for that instrument is hampered.For a period of time, while learning a skill, it is not creative at all, it is work. The area that I am currently working on is lyric writing. I have told myself over the years that I can't write lyrics. I realized that yes I can - I just need to work on the skill. So I am reading everything I can and writing. Some of it is really bad. It is uninspired, formulaic and immature. But if I don't start there - I can't get to where it is inspired and poetic.Just some random thoughts from a fellow student. (Frankly I needed to write this more for me then for you.)Trent

bigdrisk
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bigdrisk » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:43 am

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I feel like I do best. Didn't always do well at it, but once you're doing it for a living, you have to learn how to take advantage of the opportunities that are there. It's still somewhat more satisfying creatively to write something that is more "on my heart" or "in my bones" to write. I still do that. But not most of the time. If it's music, then I think a person has to have a skill level to where they can listen to just about anything - analyze it, and then reproduce it they had to. Once you can do that, then all you have to do is listen to a few things that sound like what you're supposed to be going for and let it inspire you. I've found that the last song in my ears is usually the thing that is going to influence me the most. The beat is there, the style, and all that. If I've got something in my head that isn't right for the listing, then I listen to something else until my creativity is changed by it. I don't know how most of you write, but when I'm writing a typical song, I generally start with the chorus, because that's the most important part of the song. If you don't have that, then your efforts on verses have gone to waste. So sometimes I'll listen to some tunes I've never ever heard before, but only to the point where it sounds like the chorus is getting ready to click in. Then I stop the song and see where my own creativity takes me. After I've done this, I then go back and listen to the chorus I didn't listen to the first time. I have found that I NEVER accidentally plagiarize someone elses song. It's always sometime different - most often radically different. But anyway, that's often how I do it. I find iTunes to be tremendously helpful for this. You only get about 30 seconds of a song (without paying for it) - enough to get a little inspiration for the style, but not usually enough to where I accidentally rewrite someone else's song.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 am

I never write 'write to order.' I'm guessing that type of writing works better for the film and tv listings, and there is nothing wrong with that. A certain tv or film piece needs a song addressing a certain topic, and people will write a song for it. Or in the case of other songs, a bunch of writers get together and write a song when they've been given a certain idea to write about.I find that if someone says 'write a song about this idea', and I attempt to write a song about it, it will sound wooden because my heart's not in the song. I admire writers who can 'write to order' though. Me.....I'm the kind of person who will be riding down the road, and all of a sudden an idea hits me. It's like "pow!" I'll grab my notebook pad, and since my little mini-cassette recorder is on the fritz these days, I have to phone home and sing the melody to my answering machine (if I think the melody is really good). The other day, I was in the check out line at the grocery store. I asked the cashier for a paper bag to write some new lyrics on....I had left my notebook in the car. I wake up in the morning with a new song in my head. I only started writing two years ago, and I already have 120 songs now. I have no idea where I get my inspirations from....I believe in God, so maybe that's where they come from. Others believe they come from the subconcious. But I always have to be inspired that way, or I can't write a thing. Oddly enough, I can collaborate if I just give someone my songs and say, 'do with this as you will.' My songs generally appear as a chorus first.....complete with melodies.....then I take that idea and I write my verses around it. Sometimes, songwriting drives me absolutely bonkers....it sounds like 'veiled bragging' to say, 'well, I write too many songs, and this drives me crazy", but it does sometimes, hehe. I am prolific, but there are days I wish I'd never written anything....I could just live a calm life in the country or something. 'Coz when you're given so many songs, all you want to do is get them out there.....and you know in your heart what an impossible task that is going to be.I'd rather just deal with planning what I'm going to cook tonight...it's much easier! The one good thing about being a country songwriter is that you really don't have to specifically target a lot of artists......if you write storytelling type songs that could fit most anyone, then it's easier to target those listings. My biggest problem comes when a listing will say, "this is for a very young girl....this must be age appropriate." And I tend to write more mature themed songs.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:02 am

Quote:...But anyway, that's often how I do it. I find iTunes to be tremendously helpful for this. You only get about 30 seconds of a song (without paying for it) - enough to get a little inspiration for the style, but not usually enough to where I accidentally rewrite someone else's song.Quick tip that I think Dave W. passed out some time back. pandora.com -- great resource for "styling". Also, youtube will often have a full version of the song you can hear.Aub

Pinkstar
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pinkstar » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:05 am

It really depends on what your goals are. Are you persuing a career as an artist, songwriter or both? I am both . I have my band and write the way it flows through me. When it comes to certain taxi listings, I pick something I believe I can do and take it as a challenge. Either way I grow and have another song in my library. I've done it a couple of times and either I came pretty close to sounding like that artist or something completely cool and different came out. I sincerely believe that your belief you betray your muse or yourself stops you from being capable of writing for listings. I suggest you have an open mind, step outside the box and intend it; even if it doesn't come out the way you wanted it, maybe it will be a cool new piece for your own music? If it still frustrates you, do your own thing and only submit to what applies to your own music, trusting that you will succeed with what you do. Whatever makes you happy, whatever makes you feel good just do that. However be careful not to stay in the comfort zone. We either grow or die. I see taxi as an opportunity to consistantly grow. Hope this helps.http://www.myspace.com/ottosdaughterhtt ... m/jvbmusic

bigdrisk
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bigdrisk » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:22 am

Quote:It really depends on what your goals are. Are you persuing a career as an artist, songwriter or both? I am both . I have my band and write the way it flows through me. When it comes to certain taxi listings, I pick something I believe I can do and take it as a challenge. Either way I grow and have another song in my library. I've done it a couple of times and either I came pretty close to sounding like that artist or something completely cool and different came out. I sincerely believe that your belief you betray your muse or yourself stops you from being capable of writing for listings. I suggest you have an open mind, step outside the box and intend it; even if it doesn't come out the way you wanted it, maybe it will be a cool new piece for your own music? If it still frustrates you, do your own thing and only submit to what applies to your own music, trusting that you will succeed with what you do. Whatever makes you happy, whatever makes you feel good just do that. However be careful not to stay in the comfort zone. We either grow or die. I see taxi as an opportunity to consistantly grow. Hope this helps.http://www.myspace.com/ottosdaughterhtt ... m/jvbmusic Yes, but just writing what naturally comes out of you doesn't usually make for a long career. Obviously if a person is rich or has settled in to making a living doing something else and just letting the songwriting be a hobby, then that sort of approach may be satisfying. But once you're depending on the income to but bread on the table, or as the case of a successful artist - trying to continue to make enough money to pay everyone in your support team from band members to truck drivers (all who have quit their day job to support you) - then at some point (when what comes natural to you isn't cutting edge anymore) you have to rely on your ability to adapt.

bigdrisk
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bigdrisk » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:24 am

Quote:Me.....I'm the kind of person who will be riding down the road, and all of a sudden an idea hits me. It's like "pow!" I'll grab my notebook pad, and since my little mini-cassette recorder is on the fritz these days, I have to phone home and sing the melody to my answering machine (if I think the melody is really good).Cell phones can be really handy for this, too. Most of them have a "voice memo" mode where you can record brief snippits till you can get home and put them in some more permanent form. I do that a lot.