Annual Update - closing Year Six

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Annual Update - closing Year Six

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:54 pm

It's that time of year again where I post my "Annual Update". I've been doing this for a few years right before the Road Rally, as the 2011 Rally marks the turning point in my musical path and is where I decided to pursue TV music rather than chasing a chart-topping country hit, and is where I made a goal for myself to make enough money from music that I could eventually quit my day job.

This year was the first where I was full-time as a music composer. I'd been dreaming of this point for my whole life, and though I fantasized and worked hard at music before joining Taxi, I couldn't ever fully comprehend a time where I'd be paid handsomely for writing music. That stuff always seemed like a pipe dream. Granted, I was always willing to chase it, but it seemed forever out of reach. But now I'm living it. And it STILL seems hard to believe! Haha. Sometimes I look at the clock in the morning and still say to myself, "damn, I'd be stuck in traffic right now during my morning commute if I was still working corporate...", or "I used that get up THAT early every morning to put on a suit and tie?!?!". I say these things as I'm making a cup of coffee, still wearing slippers, and mozying out to my backyard studio..

There's still one or two royalty checks left in the 2017 cycle (international and publishing), so I'll still add some more money to my 2017 income. But as of this very moment, I've already made more money in royalties alone than I ever did annually while working in Corporate America or as a college professor. And that's not counting the upfront money or synchs. That's another thing I can't believe as I look at my ASCAP homepage (which now shows your annual royalties-to-date in a huge graphic upon logging in). To think that I'm making more money now, doing what I love, without a care in the world - sometimes without even combing my hair or putting on a shirt - just blows me away. Just think..... I was a complete stress case when working corporate... so much that I got an ulcer and shingles (yeah, shingles!) from stress alone. All those chewed fingernails and early morning meetings and nervous stomach conditions, all gone now. To be replaced by a bigger bank account, no worries, vacations, and a much happier disposition. Hell yeah, I'm loving life!

Okay, now for some numbers.

* As of right now, I've got over 2,300 pieces of music signed to 23 music libraries. Two of those libraries have recently been inked thanks to my bromie Marcus Cohen, and I'm excited to see where those lead. Some of my older libraries are now churning tons of regular placements and are even finding homes for tracks that I signed to them 3-4 years ago (never give up hope on those old tracks!).

* My music has been used on 156 different TV shows. As of this morning, I've got 1,192 cue sheets in my ASCAP account. There's no telling how many actual placements that all adds up to. I quit keeping count. (Sidenote, I still remember my very first cue sheet - and I remember how long it took me to get that one, and how long it took until I finally got a second one!)

* I set a goal this year to make 500 pieces of music. There were small sub-goals inside that, but the big one was just to hit the 500 mark. Last night I closed the books on #460. With two months left to go, I should hit at least 525. Mission accomplished! Well, it WILL be accomplished by December 31!

* In other highlights, I treated myself to an 8 day vacation in the Bahamas earlier this month. All paid for with music income.

So, not to sound like a self-absorbed braggart, but life is good up here in Boise Idaho! Six years ago I was getting ready to go to my first Road Rally, and didn't know a single goddamned thing about TV music, production, or anything really other than how to play the trumpet and bass guitar. Now here I am, six years later, finally living the dream. Sure, there's no sold-out arena shows, no house full of naked supermodels, no covers of Rolling Stone, but there IS a studio in my backyard and I make music for a living, and when people ask what I do for work I now say, "I write music for TV shows" and don't have to put a follow-up sentence on that like, "but my real day-job is ___." And really, there's nothing better than that.

Last, some shout out's to people who have been instrumental (pun intended!) in helping me have a great 2017:
Marcus Cohen - my bruvah. We've made some killer music this year. And we made it FAST! And we got it signed even faster! You're the reason for that. Your work ethic is insane (takes one to know one!) and your talent is through the roof. Vander Boegh / Caino, 2020.
Terrell Burt - you continue to impress me with every track we make, and you're always pushing the creative limits of your comfort zone. Thanks for being a steady collaborator of mine for the past three(?) years. I'm sooooo happy I sent you that initial "will you work with me?" email all those years ago.
Andy Gabrys - you helped me with so much production and business advice through the years - sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly by posting replies to other forum members - that I wouldn't know the things I know about production without your help. Glad I could help pay some of that knowledge back to you this year (Little Alter Boy for the win!).

And last, but CERTAINLY not least:
Michael Laskow - you started out as a mythical figure in my world. I'll never forget that feeling of being starstruck at seeing you during my first Rally. In my mind, you were right up there with Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Elon Musk. A true pioneer in the world of music. Now, six years later, I'm honored to call you a friend. Thanks for everything you (and your staff!) do for all of us, and everything you've done for me specifically. Being a guess on Taxi TV last May was a highlight of my year. And drinking beer and eating sushi and hearing some of your stories after the filming was such fun!

Can't wait to see you all in a couple of days. The Road Rally is my adult version of Christmas as a little kid.... Something I look forward to every year, have dreams about in the weeks leading up to it, and relish every single moment while I'm there. And if I haven't met you yet, please say hi!!

~~Matt

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Annual Update - closing Year Six

Post by cassmcentee » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Awesome Matt! :D
Beautiful news!!!
Thanks for Sharing yourself with us
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:06 pm

You are amazing Matt - you deserve every bit of success you have gotten and much more because of your work ethic and your drive.

Much continued success to you!

Fullertime
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Fullertime » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Matt you rock dude! Not just for your talent and work, but also for taking time to write an inspiring letter to the community to keep us all headed in the right direction!

Thanks for keeping us posted. Hope that your 7th year is the best yet!!!

Blessings,
Fuller
"Vision will get you where you want to go, values will determine if you like yourself when you get there!"

https://www.taxi.com/members/fullertime
http://www.fullertime.com
https://soundcloud.com/fullertime

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DanLuedke » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Congrats, Matt! I've come to look forward to your annual updates - always inspiring! See you at the rally!
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks for sharing, Matt! This is super inspiring and reassuring as I'm heading into my first rally in just a few days.

Congrats on all of your successes, and I hope that they only continue to grow exponentially.

Looking forward to saying hello!

LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by LOCK88 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:57 pm

Congrats on all your accomplishments Matt. 500+ pieces in one year, at the high quality you do, is incredible man. Keep up the amazing work!!
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Los Angeles, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:54 am

Matt, you are my inspiration Bro Mantegna. Last year getting to meet you at the Rally was like getting to hang with a celebrity. Now it's such an honor to call you a friend. I have Michael to thank as well for putting together something so sacred like the Rally that brings all us like-minded individuals together. It really is magic. Thanks for your kind words Bro Jackson and best be sure we will be crankin out those hits for years to come.

Vander Boegh / CaiNo 2020
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:36 pm

Very impressive, and very encouraging!
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:48 am

Thanks for the very inspirational post, Matt. So awesome, and so fast you have done it!

I can relate and testify to your corporate and college professing experiences, and just wish I had more of your go—getting qualities to get out of that rut and more into what I love.

Thanks also for sharing your earnings, as so many posts these days implies that the money is gone and that this line of work cant sustain even minimum wages. It gives a lot of hope to hear first hand from you that this does not have to be true.

Keep moving and shaking!
Ceo of my own life