another copyright question..

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

telaak
Impressive
Impressive

another copyright question..

Post by telaak » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:26 am

My last 2 records were recorded with producers {that I paid} one session guitarist {I paid} and a handful of friends that are local musicians {unpaid}..I of course copyrighted the songs back when I wrote them..i'll also add that the producers played instruments on the recordings as well..anyway..been trying to get my stuff placed in film/Tv as of late..let's say after I join taxi {this month!} I get a bite on something..Do I need releases from the paid players ?naturally assuming i'd need a release from the unpaid players..and say there's an offer on something {for film/Tv}...how would I break that down...I mean is there a ratio of say how a drummer would get paid as opposed to the writer/guitarist/vocals, then say a bass player ?..would I have to pay the paid players/producers again ?I know there are books on this sort of thing..and I will buy one eventually, but i've been curious about this for a while..everytime I work on a new record I like to bring in other players that I respect..hoping they can help me get to a place I couldn't on my own..{started a new record this week}am I setting myself up for headaches down the road if I have any success ?thanks..johnwww.myspace.com/liteboxtherapy