Another Steely Dan Karaoke - Dr. Wu

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ideascapes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Another Steely Dan Karaoke - Dr. Wu

Post by ideascapes » Sat May 02, 2009 2:21 pm

Karaoke version of the Steely Dan song. Just for fun, I recorded vocals, but they won't be included on the version I deliver to the publisher. Definitely fun to work on, especially the Phil Woods sax solos.Comments welcome (except on vocals!).Vince--------------------------------http://www.taxi.com/ideascapesSong Title: Doctor Wu (karaoke)

k o star
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Another Steely Dan Karaoke - Dr. Wu

Post by k o star » Sat May 02, 2009 2:29 pm

But the vocals are pretty good indeed =)Hey, this is good... doesn't sound midi at all...I'm not too familiar with Steely Dan...Oops... is the sax solo part suppose to sound like a real sax? I hope it's not cos it sounds keyboard.Overall very good production though...I really dig Ur piano playing Vince, just heard Ur pianos on Bill's track too...-Kel
Keltrasonics Kellosphere & KO Quantum Leap =D

©2012, K. O. STAR (Kelvin) APRA- All Songs & Artwork Registered & Protected.
http://www.kostar8.com

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sat May 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Excellent job, Vince!!The sax sounds synthy when it goes up high, but you nailed the phrasing and articulations and I wonder if it matters how perfect it sounds for the karakoe version.I'd love to hear a version without the vocals, the backgrounds are missing a couple of notes on those tricky changes in the chorus and it was a bit distracting. When you get it in shape for the karakoe mix, I'd like to hear it.Very nice piano work, it feels a lot like the original, although I'd like to hear the first couple of chords of the intro played with a bit more authority, which will make the dynamic change to the bell tree part a bit more satisfying. The piano player on the original (if memory serves) digs in a bit more on those chords than you do.Great ears, great work!!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

carlosgomez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by carlosgomez » Sun May 03, 2009 3:39 am

Love to hear your karaoke take on Reelin In The years or Riki. Good job.

carlosgomez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by carlosgomez » Sun May 03, 2009 3:41 am

BTW Peg jammed!

ideascapes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ideascapes » Mon May 04, 2009 2:25 am

Kel, thanks for the compliments on my piano playing--that's my main instrument. The sax doesn't need to sound any more realistic; the publisher said he'd accept as is. Mazz, glad you found this as your Dr. Wu suggestion hit home as a good one to try. I'll bang the piano harder on the opening chords and will PM you a mix w/o vocals.Carlos, thanks on Peg--that was really fun to do. I have Reelin and Rikki on my list, although I'm having a blast tackling Jump (Van Halen), and Baba O'Reilly (The Who) right now.Vince

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Mon May 04, 2009 3:54 am

vince this is damn good--i've always loved this tune.my few centavos:--vocal is pretty damn good--piano sounds right on to me--cymbals a bit high in places --the synth from :09 to :14, what is that? couldn't make out what instrument, unless it as truly just a synthy vibe--actually on your vocals, i think you actually on the end phrasings in some places seem to be TOO good and maybe held too long?heck, if it's sold already or placed--YOU WIN all arguments, no? LOL....the best,wh

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Mon May 04, 2009 5:31 am

oh, a strange PS to the song....my wife has a cleaning this morning with our dentist--and no sh*t--she's Dr. Wu! and trust me, based on my last cleaning (she just took over for my other 30 year dentist who retired, ) the lyrics to that song are pretty accurate!!

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Mon May 04, 2009 7:55 am

Another great job! Agree that some notes are rubbing in the harmonies (something clunks with one of the pianny notes), and that the sax sounds very midi (sounds like that's OK with your client).Overall a very impressive job; looks like you've found a nice niche market and client. I hope it all works out well for you and nets you some coin!Erich Give me a call when you need slide tracked for 'Show Biz Kids', or the Skunk Baxter surf guitar on Reelin'