We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ohtravioso
Active
Active

Anthemic Modern Rock for Ad submission

Post by ohtravioso » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:41 am

Hi guys and gals,

I recently submitted for one of the quick Ad agency spots for Anthemic Modern Rock. My submission was returned, still waiting for that first forward, and the comment was "lacks the anthem hook." Can you tell me what you think of the track and how far off from an anthem hook you think I was?

Thanks a lot.

www.taxi.com/haydenbursk

Track is "Not Gonna Stop"

Hayden

ohtravioso
Active
Active

Re: Anthemic Modern Rock for Ad submission

Post by ohtravioso » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:43 am

Here's the exact listing for reference:

INSPIRING, MOTIVATING, ENERGETIC ANTHEM-STYLE MODERN ROCK SONGS with a BUILD wanted by an A-list Advertiser launching a new ad campaign for a major global technology company. It's technology, folks, so think contemporary, hip and cool; skewed towards the tech savvy youngsters, but accessible enough to appeal to a broad demographic. ÊThis means songs that bristle with propulsive energy, a building momentum and anthem-style choruses that connect to listeners instantly. Lyrics should be uplifting and motivate people to leap at new challenges, take things to another level, rise above, know no boundaries. Your song, if chosen, will provide the message for this campaign so your language should be catchy and have GLOBAL appeal. Please leave tired platitudes (Go For It, Believe In Yourself, Dare to Dream) on the embroidered pillow case where you found them! Thank about cool music you've heard on groundbreaking ad campaigns and then kick it up a notch with even fresher ideas and surprises. Advertiser is setting the bar high but leaving lots of room to be creative and sharp; they have requested that we NOT include specific song references for this reason. We are looking for full-length songs with strong hooks, lyrics that resonate without being bombastic and fresh originality in the context of the MODERN ROCK genre, i.e., no Bon Jovi or Journey sound-alikes.ÊGUY or GIRL VOCALS, OK.ÊIf your song is chosen, this exposure could put you on the map.ÊThe company has requested that we don't give out their contact info. If you ARE chosen, they will contact you. THE PRODUCTION COMPANY AND AGENCY WILL NOTIFY US OF ANY MEMBERS WHO CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY, AND YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.ÊSubmissions are on a YES/NO basis; there will be NO TAXI CRITIQUES. Put your best foot forward and let's nail this! Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than 10am (PST) on Friday, October 1, 2010. TAXI #Y101001MR

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:04 pm

ohtravioso wrote:Here's the exact listing for reference:

INSPIRING, MOTIVATING, ENERGETIC ANTHEM-STYLE MODERN ROCK SONGS with a BUILD wanted by an A-list Advertiser launching a new ad campaign for a major global technology company. It's technology, folks, so think contemporary, hip and cool; skewed towards the tech savvy youngsters, but accessible enough to appeal to a broad demographic. ÊThis means songs that bristle with propulsive energy, a building momentum and anthem-style choruses that connect to listeners instantly. Lyrics should be uplifting and motivate people to leap at new challenges, take things to another level, rise above, know no boundaries. Your song, if chosen, will provide the message for this campaign so your language should be catchy and have GLOBAL appeal. Please leave tired platitudes (Go For It, Believe In Yourself, Dare to Dream) on the embroidered pillow case where you found them! Thank about cool music you've heard on groundbreaking ad campaigns and then kick it up a notch with even fresher ideas and surprises. Advertiser is setting the bar high but leaving lots of room to be creative and sharp; they have requested that we NOT include specific song references for this reason. We are looking for full-length songs with strong hooks, lyrics that resonate without being bombastic and fresh originality in the context of the MODERN ROCK genre, i.e., no Bon Jovi or Journey sound-alikes.ÊGUY or GIRL VOCALS, OK.ÊIf your song is chosen, this exposure could put you on the map.ÊThe company has requested that we don't give out their contact info. If you ARE chosen, they will contact you. THE PRODUCTION COMPANY AND AGENCY WILL NOTIFY US OF ANY MEMBERS WHO CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY, AND YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.ÊSubmissions are on a YES/NO basis; there will be NO TAXI CRITIQUES. Put your best foot forward and let's nail this! Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than 10am (PST) on Friday, October 1, 2010. TAXI #Y101001MR
Hi
Not being tough on you, just factual… ;)

Your track is 60 seconds with 30 seconds of intro. That's problematic from the start. Never submit a song for anything with a 30 second intro, especially not a 60 second piece. It's a basic rule of music pitching. A&R folks are impatient… Get to the meat quickly.

The listing specifically said “We are looking for full-length songs” and you submitted a 60 second clip. It’s important to read every detail of the listing carefully.

They wanted building momentum, propulsive energy, etc. In a full song, that means incredible building from verse to explosive chorus. You have an intro and a chorus here. The chorus sounds too much like a verse. You need a chorus that really lifts and screams (not literally) the anthem message.

Lyrically, the go, go, go thing MIGHT fall in the realm of “tired platitudes” they mentioned—ideas that have been used a lot before.
The good news is you have a cool vibe and sound here and the same song idea used for something else may do well.

This was an ULTRA ULTRA high bar listing so don’t let this get you down.

Best,
:) Casey

ChristopherSwain
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ChristopherSwain » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:17 pm

I probably would have returned it.

I like the idea, my problems were.

Its not a full length

The go go go, sounds like no no no, took me a while to work that out

the vocals although quite cool, have a English lazy feel to them "no no no to the dup", could so with a bit more punch amd clearly say go go go to the top with a bit of energy. Maybe this was forced due to the listing, but it's really hard to understand whats being said, maybe its an art to perfect.

the 2nd syth I didn't like or was too loud.

I really liked the guitar intro and syth 1st syth sound.

drums kick in well

just put a bit more work into it, your not far off.
If it wasn't for the good souls, life would not matter

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Swains-Pi ... 2206989953

http://www.taxi.com/cpswain

ohtravioso
Active
Active

Post by ohtravioso » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to do something late the night before it was due at 10am. I had this instrumental track and thought I would throw some vocals on top of it. It wasn't full length, but it had a build, good energy, and I figured I could try for some kind of anthemic style vocal. They didn't mention anything about it not being full length in the critique. I know the listing asked for that, but it was for a commercial spot which would probably be 30 seconds and then 15 seconds for the short edit. Seemed like a minute would be enough especially since some of the other ad listings are only asking for songs with a simple refrain and sparse lyrics.

I had problems hearing the difference between Go, go, go and no, no, no, as well. Something about the double made it less decipherable. But that was at 2am, and the thing was due at 10, so I just went with it.

30 second intros, I would agree are very bad for an A&R pitch. But this was aimed at an ad spot, and I think that rule may not necessarily come into play. For example, you wouldn't give an A&R guy a song with an intro and a simple one line refrain, but that's acceptable to do with some of these ad listings.

ohtravioso
Active
Active

Post by ohtravioso » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:19 pm

Listening to the instrumental version again though, or this version too, I can see vocals coming in after the fist chord pattern phrase working to help build much better. Then vocals would kick in at around 7 seconds, and you'd have a much shorter intro. And the additional vocals would help build and progress the song. Makes sense.

That's why I need to start these things sooner than 10 hours before deadline. ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:51 pm

ohtravioso wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I decided to do something late the night before it was due at 10am. I had this instrumental track and thought I would throw some vocals on top of it. It wasn't full length, but it had a build, good energy, and I figured I could try for some kind of anthemic style vocal. They didn't mention anything about it not being full length in the critique. I know the listing asked for that, but it was for a commercial spot which would probably be 30 seconds and then 15 seconds for the short edit. Seemed like a minute would be enough especially since some of the other ad listings are only asking for songs with a simple refrain and sparse lyrics.

I had problems hearing the difference between Go, go, go and no, no, no, as well. Something about the double made it less decipherable. But that was at 2am, and the thing was due at 10, so I just went with it.

30 second intros, I would agree are very bad for an A&R pitch. But this was aimed at an ad spot, and I think that rule may not necessarily come into play. For example, you wouldn't give an A&R guy a song with an intro and a simple one line refrain, but that's acceptable to do with some of these ad listings.
I also heard a Modern English kind of laid back sound in the vocal. I thought that was very cool 8-) but not at all what was called for here.

The nice part about writing for Taxi listings is if you create something good and it doesn't fit that listing it's in your back pocket for something later. So it's all good. :D It's always important not to forget that just because a track got returned for a particular listing doesn't mean it's a bad one. Not at all! It's just a matter of matchmaking.

If this was a Y/N listing, there really is no critique, just checkboxes and an optional comment area. So the screener won't tell you all reasons why a track might not fit. But with the listing text very clear that they wanted SONGS, it probably couldn't have been forwarded regardless.

Given that the listing asked for full songs, that's pretty much how the screeners would review them-- a lot like an A&R listing for a song. So I still say the long intro wasn't the best choice (not to belabor it too much)... Of course if you had a 30 second intro and an undeniably kick ass song, all would probably be forgiven, at least by the screener. But remember if the screener forwards a song, it still has other hurdles to clear to be placed. What if the listing party got the forwarded track and "clicked" to the next track as soon as nothing vocally happened after 20 seconds? I've seen where someone shuts off a track thinking it was a pure instrumental.

I hope this morphs into a really good one for another opp!

Best,
Casey

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:05 pm

I thought the same things that others listening did. I have nothing new to add and just wanted you to know that I listened.

Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.