We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Anthemic Modern Rock Instrumental

Post by BradGray » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:56 am

Hey Passengers!

Can I borrow your listening ears for the following instrumental that I'm working on: My Anthem (Version III)
***Updated a second time, from all of the great feedback so far! Still needs a final mix....hopefully getting bettah!***

New Question: I updated it again, adding in some new light melody hooks, and some extra "wows". There's also some audience noise in the 2nd prechorus...is it too distracting?

Any feedback and tips are appreciated, as I still have some time to make it bettah!

Cheers,
Brad

It's for the following listing:
A Bunch of ANTHEMIC MODERN ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a great Publisher with an awesome track record of really big placements in TV Commercials!

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that could fit stylistically on a playlist with the following examples:

2020 Chevy Silverado HD - Ready to Work | Chevrolet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZXioCK ... =Chevrolet

"The Champion" by The Score https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9jTRUC ... core-Topic

"Another Level" by Oh The Larceny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FS1965 ... ceny-Topic

Although some of the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only.

Give them well-produced, contemporary Rock Instrumentals with an anthemic, epic vibe and sound. Killer rhythms and guitar riffs are a must for this pitch. You'd probably be wise to stick with typical Rock-band instrumentation, but some cool, modern ear candy sprinkled in here and there couldn't hurt. If you're using any virtual instruments or samples, they need to be high quality and state-of-the-art as nothing dated or low-quality will work for this request.

TAXI Tip: You can use some simple, non-lyrical vocal chants to add additional "in-your-face" energy to your Tracks. Please do not submit full vocal performance songs, as only vocal elements like, “whoas,” “yeahs,” “heys,” “woo-hoos,” etc., will work for this pitch. They're not a requirement, just a suggestion.

Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-Faded, Button/Stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced acts or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
Last edited by BradGray on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Anthemic Modern Rock Instrumental

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:18 am

Generally I like and think you are within the ballpark...some quick thoughts whilst listening
Intro..No Fade Ins !

Drums feel a bit hollow...they are not solid sounding enough

16s - Feels like the energy drops as soon as you lose the HH pattern, so maybe something playing a faster rhythm there

50s - Feel like i'm in a section that's been cut & pasted from earlier one..it's cool but there is not much development to keep me interested. I could probably say the same for most of the track from that point..maybe try to add some interest like percussion parts, shakers, cowbells ? And mix up some of your riffs and maybe come up with a call response and also have it play in different octaves at little later

2m - not sure that part works, it loses the "tough" feel of the track and the refs, maybe that would be better an octave down

Mark

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks Mark,

I did hollow out the drums deliberately, trying to reference the sound of the reference tracks, but likely did too much.

@16s - Thanks! I was listening too much to other elements. I'll work on that, I hear what you're saying.
@50s and all the repeating sections. Call and response is a great idea!
@2min - I was worried about that one. The bridge guitar hook pulls it into an 80s thing to me, sounds nice but feels off. I killed the vibe!
Question - without the high guitar "noodles", do the shots work?

Thanks Again! I'll certainly revise!
Brad

P.S. I'll kill the fade in! I was playing with different intro sounds and ideas and forgot the most essential rule! =)

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:39 pm

BradGray wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:47 am
I'll kill the fade in! I was playing with different intro sounds and ideas and forgot the most essential rule! =)
I wasn't sure what was going on there - thought maybe it was a soundcloud weirdness. I'd suggest starting with the "all in" part.

I don't recall where I got this (road rally? book?), but it was suggested to start big - give 4 or 8 bars - then drop down and start building. The idea is to let the editor know right from the edge what the cue will sound like. I haven't been doing that, but moving forward I think I will ;)

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:13 pm

Thanks Alan,

I do agree. Upon listening over and over, I really don't like the intro. It sounds okay, but sounds a bit "classic rock" the way I'm playing them. I'll likely chop it down do a single chord shot and then right in.

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 am

Hi i am not an expert, but this really got my juices flowin. I fell asleep a little between 15 and 25 seconds. congrats I hope this gets places somewhere
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

youseeitsme

Post by youseeitsme » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:51 am

Maybe truncate the first couple of sections into one as they feel very similar and only have a bit up noticeable differences.

I kept waiting to hear some kind of overarching melody to jump in. The way a vocal melody (or chorus) would in a song. Somethings that screams "Hear I am!"

Overall I think you got the guitar tone down sounds just right for the genre. nice work!

-Peter

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:19 pm

feaker66 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 am
Hi i am not an expert, but this really got my juices flowin. I fell asleep a little between 15 and 25 seconds. congrats I hope this gets places somewhere
Thanks Freaker! I appreciate the feedback.

I added in some melody, pretty much the same in that first and second verse; low then high. I like it in the 2nd part....still thinking of tweaking it in the first part, the low part, but I think it's a bit more alive there now.

Thanks,
Brad

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:20 pm

youseeitsme wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:51 am
Maybe truncate the first couple of sections into one as they feel very similar and only have a bit up noticeable differences.

I kept waiting to hear some kind of overarching melody to jump in. The way a vocal melody (or chorus) would in a song. Somethings that screams "Hear I am!"

Overall I think you got the guitar tone down sounds just right for the genre. nice work!

-Peter
Thanks Peter!

I added in some melody...but still debating that first section to change a bit.