Any Major artist deals?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

flamekeeper

Any Major artist deals?

Post by flamekeeper » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:52 pm

I was a member 1998-2000 and learned alot from reviewers and had about a dozen high bar forwards in the country genre during that time but had never heard of any success stories from members who had major artist cuts except for the Kenny Rogers "Buy Me A Rose" which wasn't really the result a listing forward but instead was a song that was signed by a screener during the Taxi Rally. I thought at the time that that deal actually proved that Taxi's approach didn't really work. The screener was also a publisher and after signing the song had a vested interest in the song so in my book that one doesn't really count as a TAXI success story. That said, I do believe the TAXI rally really is probably the best of the songwriter conventions and I've been to alot of them put on by NSAI in Nashville. So my question is, have there been any hit songs by major artists that were a direct result of a listing in TAXI? Has there ever even been a song cut by a major artist as a result of a TAXI listing? Songs on a TV show are a good thing but as a country writer I don't see many TV/film listings for Country especially traditional country in the listings. I only submitted to one listing for a soap opera that needed a country song in '99 and it was forwarded so it's apparently easier to get those forwards but listings like that are few and very far between for my style. If there have been any real success stories I'd like to hear about them and not just some song that got played in the background on the CW. Thanks

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Any Major artist deals?

Post by slideboardouts » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:27 pm

Dec 26, 2008, 8:52pm, flamekeeper wrote: If there have been any real success stories I'd like to hear about them and not just some song that got played in the background on the CW. Thankslol I know a guy who is approaching six figures per year from "just some songs getting played in the background" on channels like the CW . That is a real success story. I'll take that kind of success any day There was a pop song (Beautiful Soul) that was a hit and was a result of a taxi forward. If I remember correctly, they had a different song forwarded to a publisher/plugger that got them signed and eventually ended up with "Beautiful Soul" getting cut. I think there was another country hit but I can't remember for sure...there was a similar thread about this under "Forwards" I think. I'd do a search or just flip a few pages back.Unfortunately, if you are looking for artists cuts you are going to have a tough time. Its highly competitive, especially with country, inside and outside of Taxi. There aren't many slots on albums to begin with, there are thousands of tracks competing for those few slots, and even if you do get a song cut the album has a high chance of getting shelved or failing miserably. Being an unknown will make it hard for you to even have the opportunity to be heard, Taxi at least gives you that... sometimes by the producers themselves. Good Luck,-Steve

christophersclaybo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by christophersclaybo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:34 pm

Yes, back in 2002 or sometime before the Hickenlooper brothers (forgot their names I know one was named Eric), had their song "Buy Me a Rose" sung by Kenny Rogers AND IT WENT TO THE #1 SPOT!!!They submited their song to Taxi. The screener felt in his gut the song was right on target and... PRESTO! One sweet-a-- deal for the Hickenlooper brothers! I heard them perform this song with the RallyKats at the end of the 2002 Eoad Rally and, damn! The song was country f------- GOLD!!!(Let me veer from the subject, Michael Laskow, if you're reading this, PLEASE bring back the RallyKats!!!)

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by claire » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:24 am

It was 2000 for "Buy Me A Rose". Then there was "I Loved Her First" which again, wasn't the result of a Taxi listing but was a connection through Taxi for the guy who submitted the song to write with a pro writer in Nashville and eventually they wrote "I Loved Her First" - or something along those lines. I think that one was two or three years ago? Other than that, I don't know of any country top 10 song that Taxi has been involved with either directly or indirectly. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me because I'd love to hear of other country successes through Taxi.Claire

flamekeeper

Post by flamekeeper » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:52 am

It's great that there is a guy making 6 figures with TV/Film placements. My point was that there are very few country listings for Music libraries etc. and that's what I do. I'm just trying decide if TAXI is worth my time or not. As for "Buy Me A Rose", it was not a hit as a result of a listing. Please read my original post more carefully. I'm not cutting down TAXI, in fact I found it beneficial when I was a member ten years ago but the only reason I joined again was because there was a listing for Traditional country a couple months back. I hadn't been to the TAXI website in at least at least 8 years and it seems like there's not much for me to submit to now unless you write Contemporary. I consider "not current sounding" to be a compliment but then again I'm 56 years old. I also know how difficult it is to get a song cut by a major artist but with all the talent, much of it above my own talent level, it seems it should be happening more often than the one song "Beautiful Soul". I've never heard of it but that's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks. And please have someone ask Michael Laskow if there are any others, especially country. P.S. Claire, I noticed that you are in Nashville. I wish you luck especially if you've moved there to pursue songwriting. That can be a big sacrifice, especially if you're not already independently wealthy. I know. I tried it and went broke. Had a great time though.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:39 am

Dec 27, 2008, 11:52am, flamekeeper wrote:As for "Buy Me A Rose", it was not a hit as a result of a listing. Please read my original post more carefully. Actually it kind of was; the information in your original post isn't entirely correct. It's true that a Taxi screener who was also a publisher eventually signed the song and got it placed, but it wasn't at the Rally. He signed it after screening and forwarding it numerous times, and when nothing happened with it, he decided he could get the song cut and offered Erik and Jim a deal.Similarly, Eliott Park got his staff writer deal as a result of Taxi listings and forwards, and that deal resulted in the co-write session with Walt Aldridge that produced "I Loved Her First".In both cases, the connection that resulted in the hit record was a direct result of Taxi and would not have happened without Taxi; saying that because it wasn't as simple as "forward -> cut -> hit" it's "not really a result of Taxi" or even "proves that the Taxi approach doesn't work" IMHO shows a lack of understanding about the way the music business works.Yes it is possible to get a song forwarded, cut, and have it become a hit, but for an unknown writer, the far more likely scenario in this day and age is to have a forward result in a connection, which will hopefully turn into a relationship, which will ultimately result in cuts and hopefully, hits.If you placed an ad with an online dating service, you wouldn't expect women to immediately want to have your babies based on the one picture in your profile... Quote:I'm not cutting down TAXI, in fact I found it beneficial when I was a member ten years ago but the only reason I joined again was because there was a listing for Traditional country a couple months back. I hadn't been to the TAXI website in at least at least 8 years and it seems like there's not much for me to submit to now unless you write Contemporary.I think if you only write traditional country the odds are very much stacked against you, regardless of whether you use Taxi or not. I think that's just the cold hard reality... matto

flamekeeper

Post by flamekeeper » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:53 am

MattoActually, I do know how it works. If it was through a listing these days it would probably be more like forward> publish>label hold> cut> release> chosen as single>promotion>publc exceptance> hit? and with each step the odds increase because with each step a larger and larger number of people have to sign off on it. I agree it's a multi-million to one shot at best whether you use TAXI or not. I'm not running TAXI down but I still think the model of TAXI is flawed to a certain extent because the main impetus for getting a song cut is with the vested interest in the person(s) pushing it. You made my point for me with your desciption of the"Buy Me A Rose" scenario. I'm not trying to pick a fight. I just wondered if a hit song has ever been the direct result of a listing. I looked up " Beautiful Soul" and there are at least 10 artists doing different songs with that title. None that I've ever heard of. Does anyone know which artist it was. That info would answer my original question. I'm just looking for one. BTW, You probably would have a much better shot at having women on a dating site wanting to have your baby based on a picture. Also, I write mostly traditional country because that's how it sounds to the screener. It's not necesarilly intentional. I don't think I'm that tradtional. I just write songs that I like myself and only rewrite along the lines of critiques if I agree with them. The only way to be a failure as a songwriter is to write songs you don't like trying to chase a hit. Like I said I realize that getting a hit song is like winning the lottery but it does seem that eveyone is kind of defensive about any critical views of TAXI no matter how well intentioned. P.S. I just started posting on the forum and haven't taken the time to learn how to do the "Quote" thing

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:43 pm

If you google "Beautiful Soul" the first page of links are all to the same song, the Jesse McCartney hit from 2004 Steve is referring to in his post.I'm not sure how Erik & Jim's or Eliott's stories prove that the Taxi model is flawed...Taxi's model is to hook up its members with decision makers in the music industry, and it did that for these people and has done it for many more.Quote:it does seem that eveyone is kind of defensive about any critical views of TAXI no matter how well intentionedNo offense, but when you say "If there have been any real success stories I'd like to hear about them and not just some song that got played in the background on the CW", then I'm not sure your criticism comes across as "well intentioned", you know what I mean?It would be only natural for someone who has had success in the film/tv music field to take your comment as a direct insult, as saying that their success is not "real" or valid.

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:38 pm

matto, you're right on. at this point, i'd settle for ANY of my songs being played in the background of the PW!! (don't they still have some of those stores leflt?...LOL...)the best,warren

flamekeeper

Post by flamekeeper » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:04 pm

MattoThanks for the info on "Beautiful Soul". That was all I wanted to know. While I stand behind everything I've said I do regret the line about the CW. I didn't mean to cut anyone down and I'm sorry if I hit a nerve with some people. It seems like nobody even reads an entire post because if you go back and check it out I've been mostly complimentary of TAXI and would recommend TAXI to anyone if it seems right for them. I'm done with this subject though. I got the answer I was looking for.