Any tips for nice sounding pad sounds?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Holmseth
Impressive
Impressive

Any tips for nice sounding pad sounds?

Post by Holmseth » Mon May 14, 2018 5:09 am

I recently got the Steinberg complete, and trying to get my head around Halion 6, the challenge is that it comes with 5000+ sounds (guessing) and I find myself spending way too much time on searching for sounds than I should, compared to actually composing.
Do any of my TAXI friends have tips for a nice sounding pad (string / synth) for background chords etc?
What are you favorite sounds (go to's) for cue composing.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Regards
Asbjorn

Sunset
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Any tips for nice sounding pad sounds?

Post by Sunset » Tue May 15, 2018 11:41 am

Hi Asbjorn,

Let me try to give this a crack.. First do you use Cubase along with "Steinberg complete"( do you mean Absolute 3?) if you do, you have access to a function called Media Bay within Cubase , which allows you to preview and search by sound,timbre,etc to narrow your choices and preview the sounds without opening the program.. HAlion 6 does a version of the search in the load/rec tab within the program that can get you going , but doesn't have the preview function that Cubase offers in media Bay......

Another Vst that's really popular that many members use in Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.. it also allows you to search by sound type,etc.. and has many 3rd party designers that offer quality patches if you're looking for a specific genre...

It would also help if we knew the kinds of styles of music you're writing to.. different pads evoke different moods,but in general, Halion 6 has several different synthesizers in it that can get you most of the sounds that you might need...

Hope that helps..

John

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue May 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Sunset wrote:....... Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.. .....
Yes. Also all the Native Instruments stuff has a lot of sounds. Massive is a must have.

There are plenty of other synths out there that get a lot of use, and there are third party sound packages (presets) available for a lot of them.

Like: Serum, Sylenth, Zebra etc.

Sample Magic has a lot of third party sound packs that get you right in the zone for a lot of contemporary genres like Future Bass, Hip Hop etc. There are tens of sites like this.

Another angle to consider besides browsing presets is learning how to actually program sounds from scratch and you will have a much better understanding of how to make certain sounds. There are bazillions of videos on youtube that can show you how to program synth sounds for a variety of different genres. Besides just differences in controls, a lot of virtual synths have engines that can do almost the same thing.

Last thing to consider - a lot of pads these days have some kind of automation that helps them sound more current. Like filters, LFO volume automation etc. The Nicky Romero Kickstart plugin is a very inexpensive way to get the side chain pump effect without having a 4 on the floor kick drum in your production. Add creative use of a stereo tremolo effect and you can get a range of expressive sounds. Add distortion effects on top (mixed lightly like SoundToys Decapitator) and you can get a whole other range of effects.

Good luck!

Holmseth
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Holmseth » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Sunset wrote:Hi Asbjorn,

Let me try to give this a crack.. First do you use Cubase along with "Steinberg complete"( do you mean Absolute 3?) if you do, you have access to a function called Media Bay within Cubase , which allows you to preview and search by sound,timbre,etc to narrow your choices and preview the sounds without opening the program.. HAlion 6 does a version of the search in the load/rec tab within the program that can get you going , but doesn't have the preview function that Cubase offers in media Bay......

Another Vst that's really popular that many members use in Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.. it also allows you to search by sound type,etc.. and has many 3rd party designers that offer quality patches if you're looking for a specific genre...

It would also help if we knew the kinds of styles of music you're writing to.. different pads evoke different moods,but in general, Halion 6 has several different synthesizers in it that can get you most of the sounds that you might need...

Hope that helps..

John
Hi John and thank you for your insightful reply and sorry for the stupendous slow reply, I have been off for a while.
Yes I have absolute 3 with cubase and will definitely look into the media bay function.
I am trying to write in various styles, like Drone, hip hop, pop, dramedy and building optimism cues.... :) the publisher I have signed with are really focused on authentic sounds and the last cue I sent him was rejected du to the string sounds, and I was told to replace it with guitars so I have :) I can post a link to the cue if you have time to listen to it and maybe you have some tips for sounds. Anyway thank you for your time and helpful info.
All the best.
Asbjorn

Holmseth
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Holmseth » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:13 pm

andygabrys wrote:
Sunset wrote:....... Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.. .....
Yes. Also all the Native Instruments stuff has a lot of sounds. Massive is a must have.

There are plenty of other synths out there that get a lot of use, and there are third party sound packages (presets) available for a lot of them.

Like: Serum, Sylenth, Zebra etc.

Sample Magic has a lot of third party sound packs that get you right in the zone for a lot of contemporary genres like Future Bass, Hip Hop etc. There are tens of sites like this.

Another angle to consider besides browsing presets is learning how to actually program sounds from scratch and you will have a much better understanding of how to make certain sounds. There are bazillions of videos on youtube that can show you how to program synth sounds for a variety of different genres. Besides just differences in controls, a lot of virtual synths have engines that can do almost the same thing.

Last thing to consider - a lot of pads these days have some kind of automation that helps them sound more current. Like filters, LFO volume automation etc. The Nicky Romero Kickstart plugin is a very inexpensive way to get the side chain pump effect without having a 4 on the floor kick drum in your production. Add creative use of a stereo tremolo effect and you can get a range of expressive sounds. Add distortion effects on top (mixed lightly like SoundToys Decapitator) and you can get a whole other range of effects.

Good luck!
Thank you Andy and sorry for the slow reply time. There are many good tips here and I will look into the third party presets, that could be very helpful. Thank you again.
Regards
Asbjorn

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Just read your reply.

If the issue is string sounds - you aren’t going to do it with a synth pad, or even virtual strings just sustaining like an organ patch.

There are lots of virtual string plugins and you need to write and arrange as you would for real strings. It’s a deep issue and you can spend a lot of time learning about it.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Pad sounds, real strings. because you have so many genres, the most versatile might be violins, especially if you don't need the cellos and basses, like in pop, soul, country.... Here's an example, it says violins, the demo has some other instruments also, but they should be on different tracks because it says it's a construction kit. These loops could be used in Halion.
https://www.producerloops.com/Download- ... -Pack.html
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:43 am

I find that I spend quite a bit of time tweaking and designing pad sounds. It is so easy to grab a stock sound, and be content with that, just to find months later that it makes your music generic and bland.
Ceo of my own life

Holmseth
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Holmseth » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:29 am

Len911 wrote:Pad sounds, real strings. because you have so many genres, the most versatile might be violins, especially if you don't need the cellos and basses, like in pop, soul, country.... Here's an example, it says violins, the demo has some other instruments also, but they should be on different tracks because it says it's a construction kit. These loops could be used in Halion.
https://www.producerloops.com/Download- ... -Pack.html

Thanks, this is interesting, but I'm not sure the link you sent me will work with halion. I asked customer service and if it works I will give it a go. There was alot of other nice sounding construction kits on the site too so I'm gonna buy a few organic (hip hop) and play around with it.... I'm jused to recording accoustic instruments so anything that would help me working with samples would also be great. Thank you again.
Regards
Asbjorn

Holmseth
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Holmseth » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:36 am

Kolstad wrote:I find that I spend quite a bit of time tweaking and designing pad sounds. It is so easy to grab a stock sound, and be content with that, just to find months later that it makes your music generic and bland.
Jepp, but often time is the essence and I need to start building a decent bank of sounds and loops etc for the base of my cues and then record live instruments on top.
I'm ok at getting an acoustic sound but not so good working with midi and designing digital sounds / loops I'm afraid.
All the best.
Asbjorn