Any users of BFD2?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

wodinlord
Impressive
Impressive

Any users of BFD2?

Post by wodinlord » Wed May 07, 2008 9:31 am

I love BFD2 and just wondering if anyone who uses it has had trouble with the mapping function. Most of it works fine, but I sometimes have trouble setting up hi hat articulations, adding one seems to change the others that I want to keep, also. Overall, it is amazing. Properly programmed, you can create a drumtrack that would fool a drummer and I love the sounds, very authentic and natural. Anyway, anybody out there?Wodinlord
I want everything to be louder than everything else!

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Any users of BFD2?

Post by aimusic » Thu May 08, 2008 2:22 am

I love BFD2.0 aswell... I've never really had a problem with the mapping function. I use an Alesis Dm5-pro to trigger BFD, and thankfully they have a map programmed for it already.I really am impressed with the sound/quality of the drums, and am looking forward to getting some of the expansion packs - Joe Barressi's drums sound cool coz I'm more into rock and LOVE the phat drum sounds!Have you downloaded all the updates for it?Take CareB

wodinlord
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wodinlord » Thu May 08, 2008 2:56 am

Thanks for replying,Yeah, I'm fully updated. I found that I had "all hi hats variable" turned on in the settings, so they were all starting at the same articulation. DOH! Its great to be able to fine tune the hats the way you can. It really takes it from drum machine to drummer. I love the way you can set it to humanize the track and use the "anti-machine gun" to make it never play two hits exactly the same. Then, when you listen to the track, you can hear the drummer hit the snare in subtly different spots and slightly mis-hit the hat. All the things that make it sound like a drummer. I started programming drums with a Linn back in about 1981 and would never have imagined that this sort of program would ever happen. It is truly AMAZING! And, it doesn't start bashing everything as soon as you lean down to adjust the kick mic or when you're trying to tune your guitar and doesn't fart in the drum booth or show up an hour late or .... sorry, got carried away there for a minute.Wodinlord

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Thu May 08, 2008 3:13 am

hahahahaha, yeah and it doesn't decide to do a solo in the middle of a chorus, or while ur trying to communicate with other people, starts smacking the cymbals as loud as possible...Yeah I managed to get like £100 off when I got BFD2.0, I searched ebay for a deal and found BFD1.5 for like £100 cheaper (brand new) and bought it, then bought the upgrade which was £50 cheaper than the full version, so managed to save myself some cash!Have you managed to get a decent drum sound for Jazz though - thinking maybe I should get the Jazz Pack?

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Thu May 08, 2008 3:15 am

May 8, 2008, 5:56am, wodinlord wrote:Thanks for replyingCool no probs, I love talking techie stuff!

wodinlord
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wodinlord » Thu May 08, 2008 3:42 am

Sorry, I don't do jazz, just big nasty rock. I am sure that the jazz pack is just as well done as everything else they do, though. I am about to order the Deluxe colection to add to my arsenal.Wodinlord

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Thu May 08, 2008 3:51 am

OH HOW I LOVE ROCK!!!!!! Who's ur fav Rock Drummer?

wodinlord
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wodinlord » Thu May 08, 2008 4:16 am

That would have to be the late great John Bonham, hands down. When you break down what he played that sounds so straight ahead, it is actually very sophisticated. His hi hat work was amazing. If you listen to how he moves the accents around and sometimes plays a hi hat pattern of 3 against 4/4 time that lands back on one every 4 measures.. wow. I have tried many times to teach drummers to get that feel and not one could really nail it. No one else has a 2 & 4 pocket like he did. Not even Jason, as good as he is, can fully get there. IMHO.(I need to start a new of of those - IMVOO...in my very opinionated opinion)

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Thu May 08, 2008 4:31 am

To be honest I've never really listened to Zep's stuff much - although I do have an album of theirs - how Ironic, I have an album but never listened to it.... no wait... Whole Lotta Love - yeah that and Stairway are about the only songs I know... I love Danny Carey and Josh Freese's drumming styles... Danny because his drumming is so ethnic styled, and Josh coz he's SO IN YOUR FACE with his drumming... have you ever heard the song Let's Have A War done by A Perfect Circle... the drumming on there is so insane - it's beautiful.

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Thu May 08, 2008 6:28 am

May 8, 2008, 6:51am, aimusic wrote:OH HOW I LOVE ROCK!!!!!! Who's ur fav Rock Drummer?If this is an open question, then yeah John Bonham was excellent.Lesser known though, and in my humble opinion, another excellent drummer is Nigel Olsson of Elton John's band. Take a listen especially to Captain Fantastic. Very solid. And while I'm on his band, Davey Johnstone is an awesome guitarist.Not forgetting of course Ringo Starr, of whom John Lennon said, when asked whether Ringo was the best drummer in the world: "he's not even the best drummer in the band!"Not saying he was the best in the world, but he was just right for The Beatles. John Bonham might have been a bit of an overkill!If it's not an open question, then oops! sorry for buttin' in fellas!