Anyone else agree with this critique?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DavidSJH
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Anyone else agree with this critique?

Post by DavidSJH » Tue May 10, 2016 11:12 am

I had this returned with "Stylistically off target" for this listing.

https://soundcloud.com/won23four-1

The reviewer said "Kind of a garage rock type sound in this cue. Has some elements and chord changes that are similar to Lust For Life, but really sounds like its still in demo form to me, which for this listing, would not work as described in listing.

I think I endeavored to make it edgy ( as that was asked for in the listing ) from the sounds I chose and energetic from a drumming perspective.
I do think it sounds like the references and definitely punchier than a couple of them.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

U160508ER

ENERGETIC ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed quickly for a $1,000, Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Company Placement by the Creative Marketing Director of a cutting-edge, food-related product. We recently ran TAXI Listing #U160501IN for them, and they’re now looking for another style, so please don’t submit the same music. They need fresh, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Rock Instrumentals that could be found on the same playlist as the ever-so-popular song, “Lust For Life” by Iggy Pop. Please listen to the reference they gave us to get in the general ballpark of what they need: “Lust For Life” by Iggy Pop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuBU3pzy7is TAXI TIP: We think the distinct “Motown Shuffle” style beat combined with a rockin’ vibe is what they’re really after for this pitch. Here are some additional song references that are a great example of the sound as well! Check them out!! “Are You Gonna Be My Girl” by Jet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuK6n2Lkza0 “Town Called Malice” by The Jam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfpRm-p7qlY Even though the references have vocals, they’re looking for Instrumentals only for this pitch! Quoting the Marketing Director: “We’re thinking ‘Lust For Life’ by Iggy Pop could be a great reference (as long as it sounds fresh). We mostly like the vibe of the Drum/Guitar intro.” Give them fun, lively, and energetic tracks with typical Rock band instrumentation, and a groove, sound, and vibe that are in the ballpark of the references. Give them a real band feel and an edgy, punchy mix that grabs them by ears and pulls them into your track. Your submissions should be at least a 1:30 in length, with good edit points. Non-faded endings will probably work best, but if you’ve got something that really hits the nail on the head and it has a faded ending, go ahead and send it. Do NOT copy or rip off the references or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for feel, texture, tone, and vibe. Broadcast quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). The estimated license fee for this placement is $1,000. This is a Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Company placement, so you’ll get 100% of the sync fee, you’ll keep 100% of your Publishing and Master ownership, and you’ll also get 100% of any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control the Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. All Submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis. No full critiques. Please submit 1-3 Instrumentals online or per CD no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Sunday, May 8th, 2016. TAXI #U160508RK

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Anyone else agree with this critique?

Post by cassmcentee » Tue May 10, 2016 11:41 am

I have to agree with the screener...
Take this all with a grain of salt/One perspective...

Listened to yours first, had to turn the volume up (levels seem pretty low)
The guitar isn't lush or live and felt lacking in the punchy EQ area (more bite than power)
With the volume turned up it actually hurts my ears on it's attack...

Listened to the Iggy reference
It has more depth to it overall...
I would recommend purchasing the reference tune and dropping it into your project so that you can mix to it!
Takes the guesswork out of the equation
Remember, most times, they have already dropped the reference tune into the film/commercial and are looking for a replacement
So they mostly want the same or similar sound
generally...

Keep it Up!
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue May 10, 2016 12:22 pm

slightly different opinion although I do agree with what Cass said.

This:
TAXI TIP: We think the distinct “Motown Shuffle” style beat combined with a rocking’ vibe is what they’re really after for this pitch.
is the primary reason in my mind that it was "stylistically off target"

Your tune doesn't exhibit that rhythmic feel, and you can see from the 3 ref tracks that there is no copyright on that "can't hurry love" kind of Motown shuffle feel.

Beyond that - yes I hear the ref to "garage rock" - definitely the farfisa type organ, the nasally fuzz-tone guitar.

IMO the reason that the Jet tune is included in the refs is because its the only one with a hi-fi modern mix (as well as being a super high energy tune).

When a screener says "demo" I usually think of something that isn't quite crystalized in its realization. Since this is a direct to super commercial pitch - its a high bar, and they want to hear something that develops and creates the same VIBE as the ref tracks without having vocals - a tall order, but can be done. So its gotta be like that straight off.

A good attempt. Work on it a bit more to have it develop more, and put it on the shelf for the next pitch that it fits in well for.

DavidSJH
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by DavidSJH » Tue May 10, 2016 12:29 pm

Thanks for you comments.

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and post your suggestions.

D.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 11, 2016 1:24 am

DavidSJH wrote:Thanks for you comments.

D.
Hi David

I clicked the link but there was nothing there. We also had a return for this listing...and the related one that preceded it! So I was kind interested to see what else they returned.

Here was ours for the record..

https://soundcloud.com/cosmicdolphin/ge ... ed/s-eSFDP

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed May 11, 2016 7:01 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
DavidSJH wrote:Thanks for you comments.

D.
Hi David

I clicked the link but there was nothing there. We also had a return for this listing...and the related one that preceded it! So I was kind interested to see what else they returned.

Here was ours for the record..

https://soundcloud.com/cosmicdolphin/ge ... ed/s-eSFDP
what was the reason for the return on yours Mark?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 11, 2016 11:29 am

andygabrys wrote:
what was the reason for the return on yours Mark?
Reason not forwarded "Instrumental Performance"

"Cue has a bit of a Town Called Malice type beat and organ, maybe a bit too close. In any case, don't think it has enough of an updated take on this type of feel for this listing."

So it's not contemporary enough basically.

DavidSJH
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by DavidSJH » Wed May 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Apologies, the track was set to private,

https://soundcloud.com/won23four-1/iggy-goes-pop

After listening in the TAXI forwards section it was all too obvious to me that my track was not
what they were looking for. And for the reasons as stated by the suggestions from others on this post
about my track.

All in all a great experience for me and i will rework this tune and give it more polish and etc.

And maybe I'll wait next time till after I've eaten to post on the internet. :) jk.

D.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 11, 2016 12:28 pm

DavidSJH wrote:
And maybe I'll wait next time till after I've eaten to post on the internet. :) jk.

D.
Yes, quite a different style to the a la's ...and good advice about eating first !

Mark