Anyone fancy trying to polish a very rough diamond?

Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Anyone fancy trying to polish a very rough diamond?

Post by tresero » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:44 pm

Is this supposed to be instrumental? If not, no vocalist would ever sing that melody. It's way too stiff. The whole track is very stiff, (I get it, it's midi pop), but it has no groove. There are definitely parts of it that could work somewhere else, but sometimes you just have to chalk it up to learning.

I don't want to sound harsh, but pretending this is a great track that just needs some help, is not going to help you. You can't expect your first foray into music to be "the one" even though you love it. Let it go. Work on something new. Maybe come back to it. But seriously, move on. You learned from it. Let it be that.

Think about the melody. Make it singable.

NoizeeBhoy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NoizeeBhoy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:50 am

No arguments from me. Frank feedback is what is needed. As stated in the original post, there's no point wasting time polishing a turd and thinking it's a rough diamond. And yep, the track is rough AF and it doesn't take a genius to figure out it is midi programmed - and at that, by someone with very limited know-how or ability. The purpose of posting such a rough-and-ready monstrosity was to see if anyone with ability could see something (or anything!) salvageable that could be re-worked. I was never likely to, nor did I believe that I had, write 'the one' off the bat. Some time away from it and approached with fresh eyes/ears is a wise approach - maybe there's something that can be rescued from the wreckage but even if not the learning curve was worthwhile.

I'm keen to improve as I go forward so on that note I'm wondering if you could please elaborate on what you mean by the melody (which yes, is meant to be a vocal) is 'stiff'? I get the track feeling stiff without groove but I'm not so sure I know what you mean in terms of the vocal melody.

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:16 am

NoizeeBhoy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:50 am
No arguments from me. Frank feedback is what is needed. As stated in the original post, there's no point wasting time polishing a turd and thinking it's a rough diamond. And yep, the track is rough AF and it doesn't take a genius to figure out it is midi programmed - and at that, by someone with very limited know-how or ability. The purpose of posting such a rough-and-ready monstrosity was to see if anyone with ability could see something (or anything!) salvageable that could be re-worked. I was never likely to, nor did I believe that I had, write 'the one' off the bat. Some time away from it and approached with fresh eyes/ears is a wise approach - maybe there's something that can be rescued from the wreckage but even if not the learning curve was worthwhile.

I'm keen to improve as I go forward so on that note I'm wondering if you could please elaborate on what you mean by the melody (which yes, is meant to be a vocal) is 'stiff'? I get the track feeling stiff without groove but I'm not so sure I know what you mean in terms of the vocal melody.
I'll be in my studio later this morning and I'll give it a shot to see what I can hear on good speakers. There are always good parts, my main point was how much time do you want to spend when you could write something new.