anyone have experience with this library?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jwtaxi

Re: anyone have experience with this library?

Post by jwtaxi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm

with what they are asking for-stems, individual tracks, etc it would be extremely easy for someone with bad intentions to steal all this music and if I haven't registered it, we would have no recourse. of course, with this library the guidelines are so set, it would be unlikely we could use the music for anything else, anyway.

jwtaxi

Post by jwtaxi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:38 pm

eeoo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:31 am
Pretty standard practice in my experience. I'm signed with over a dozen libraries and only one of them wants me to register the tracks before I send them to them. All the others do all the registrations so I basically never register anything myself. As far as knowing they're registering them, many times they don't until they find placements for them. I personally wouldn't be concerned if you know it's a reputable company.
this is good information, thank you!
well, the cynical thing to think is that you say, "as far as I know they're registering them", and the importance of that uncertainty is what I am trying to determine.

and actually, the first point of my post was trying to determine IF it is a reputable company-i don't know how to know without asking others who may have worked with them, but we aren't allowed to say the name of the company in the forum, so...
they seem to be, from their website, guidelines, info and responses to emails, etc.

i'd feel better if some people told me, "yes-they are great, worked with them, made some money" etc

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:52 am

Well.... for what it's worth,
I have literally hundreds of tracks in dozens of libraries that have never been registered.
That's just part of the business....

My 3 cents worth,
Tim

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am

jwtaxi wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:29 pm
guscave wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am
All the libraries I work with register my songs directly with the PRO. It save us both the hassle of having one song registered twice. I do suggest that you review your BMI or ASCAP catalog about once a month to make sure it's done correctly. I've had issues in the past were another writer was getting credit for one of my songs. I quick call to the libraries fixed that.
Thank you! do these tend to be cues/music written specifically with the libraries in mind?

certainly appreciate the insight-thank you all!
I write for both libraries that ask for specific cues and for those who I submit whatever I think they need. In either case I never register my songs with the PRO's. I let them do that. The only time I register a song is if I'm writing/ co-writing for a label or another Artist.

jwtaxi

Post by jwtaxi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:39 am

guscave wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am
jwtaxi wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:29 pm
guscave wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am
All the libraries I work with register my songs directly with the PRO. It save us both the hassle of having one song registered twice. I do suggest that you review your BMI or ASCAP catalog about once a month to make sure it's done correctly. I've had issues in the past were another writer was getting credit for one of my songs. I quick call to the libraries fixed that.
Thank you! do these tend to be cues/music written specifically with the libraries in mind?

certainly appreciate the insight-thank you all!
I write for both libraries that ask for specific cues and for those who I submit whatever I think they need. In either case I never register my songs with the PRO's. I let them do that. The only time I register a song is if I'm writing/ co-writing for a label or another Artist.
Thank you! I guess I am too cynical, but it makes me very uncomfortable to just give up my intellectual property with no recourse if it is mishandled or dealt with improperly. I am glad to hear that there are still trustworthy people in this crazy business of music. it is really helpful to hear the voices of people far more experienced than I in this end of the business.

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:42 pm

Something to keep in mind. Just because you register your song with a PRO, doesn’t guarantee you any payments or worst, someone else uses it without permission.

Remember that if your song is used in a broadcast (TV, radio, streaming, etc) and a cue sheet is not provided from the broadcaster to the PRO with your information on it, you won’t see money for it.

I think some of us here at some point or another got a detection from Tunstat showing our song being played somewhere where there was no cue sheet submitted to the PRO.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Gus is right, in that even if your tracks are registered with a PRO and used on TV, there's no guarantee that the production company will file a cue sheet properly or in a timely fashion. I've had dozens - maybe even hundreds - of placements go unreported, and therefore unpaid.

But in regards to this:
Thank you! I guess I am too cynical, but it makes me very uncomfortable to just give up my intellectual property with no recourse if it is mishandled or dealt with improperly.
It sounds like what you've got right now is a big emotional attachment to your work, so much that you're unwilling to let go of your songs and put them in the hands of people who will make you money. This - call it "possessiveness" - comes most likely from not having a large catalog of music, so you're much more attached and possessive of your work. That's natural, we all go through that to some extent when we start. But you need to be making so much music that you begin treating it as a disposable commodity. If you don't, then you'll be paralyzed from ever making smart business moves due to operating from a position of fear or paranoia.

~~Matt

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:03 am

jwtaxi wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm
It would be extremely easy for someone with bad intentions to steal all this music and if I haven't registered it, we would have no recourse. of course
It would still be every bit as easy for someone to steal it even if it was registered..makes no difference.

Even if your work was so top notch someone had to steal it , It would be difficult to pass someone else's work off as your own to a Library. . ".Dear Comnposer...we love the new track you submitted but can you just change the synth in the middle 8 to a Marimba we think it would work much better and can you half the length of the intro whilst making the ending more dynamic ".....not really going to happen is it.

jwtaxi

Post by jwtaxi » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:57 am

guscave wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:42 pm
Something to keep in mind. Just because you register your song with a PRO, doesn’t guarantee you any payments or worst, someone else uses it without permission.

Remember that if your song is used in a broadcast (TV, radio, streaming, etc) and a cue sheet is not provided from the broadcaster to the PRO with your information on it, you won’t see money for it.

I think some of us here at some point or another got a detection from Tunstat showing our song being played somewhere where there was no cue sheet submitted to the PRO.
This is great information, again, thank you!
I do realize there are no guarantees on anything, people still might not do the right thing, but I am trying to avoid places that are known for doing that routinely, and do my due diligence to avoid that outcome as much as I can reasonably expect to.
I hate doing the admin stuff, I'd rather be creating music. If I can save myself time by not doing unnecessary admin stuff, such as registering music that doesn't require it, I'm very much in favor of that!

Perhaps this is another topic, but where/how would you differentiate what needs to be registered and what doesn't? a good percentage of my current catalog is stuff that either is commercially released, or will be in the future, so it is also used in a context other than a library.

if you have tracks that are only created and used for a library, then you would not register and let the library do that, and if they are used in any other context (or both), you would register with your PRO?

jwtaxi

Post by jwtaxi » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:05 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:03 am
jwtaxi wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm
It would be extremely easy for someone with bad intentions to steal all this music and if I haven't registered it, we would have no recourse. of course
It would still be every bit as easy for someone to steal it even if it was registered..makes no difference.

Even if your work was so top notch someone had to steal it , It would be difficult to pass someone else's work off as your own to a Library. . ".Dear Comnposer...we love the new track you submitted but can you just change the synth in the middle 8 to a Marimba we think it would work much better and can you half the length of the intro whilst making the ending more dynamic ".....not really going to happen is it.
Thank you, good points!

I should have been more clear in my post-in this case. i was defining the stealing not by another composer, but by the library (for instance) making $$$ from it, and then not paying.

I work with a couple of different libraries in LA, and the first thing they do once they've listened to the music and decided that they would like to add the track is to check rights holders, ostensibly to make sure that I didn't steal it myself. they go to ASCAP Ace in my case, and confirm that I have registered it there, and have something to show ownership on my part.
what would be another way I could prove that I own the intellectual property in that case?

are they the exceptions, rather than the rule?