Appreciate ears on a re recording...THANKS

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

stevetwosheds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Appreciate ears on a re recording...THANKS

Post by stevetwosheds » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:37 am

Yeah, I'm noticing all the Steve's - confusing sometimes - reminds me of the Monty Python sketch where everyone's named BRUCE except one and they say that might get a bit confusing, so "mind if we call ya Bruce? "

- That Marching snare - I liked that TBH, I seem to recall on your own (male vocal) version more noticeably. But I'm a bit odd - perhaps! I like long outro's, all sorts of things coming in going out, - why not, I say. Not a modern trend though, i dare say.

If ONLY we knew how to please all of the people all of the time -

Sorry Bruce, but writing LONG posts is a major flaw of mine - I just get carried away and I hate myself for it but it's who I am - Nobody should feel obliged to reciprocate in any way and that's not my intention but thank you for your thoughtfulness.

I WISH I was succinct - a bit like Bruce.

Hoping to get round to listening to some more of your stuff soon but I'll try and have my hands taped to the chair first so I can resist commenting - I'm sure it doesn't help as much as I wish it did.

Regards

Bruce (How many people on this forum are willing to change their name to Bruce? I'm up for it!)

SteveC
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveC » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi Bruuuuuuuce!

I didn't reply out of obligation, more from the POV of respect and appreciation. Please, feel free to write as much as you want, whenever you want. I'm a writer that is always happy to reply. No haters here Bruuuuuuuce... I love long outros too, tho you're right, it's not considered "modern" but that's their loss right? I very much appreciate the listen and feedback. Live and learn.

Merry Christmas!

st

stevetwosheds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by stevetwosheds » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:31 am

Merry Christmas Brust / Bruceteve - (doesn't work does it?)

I tried to reply to a different post, the one by Wilburson yesterday as I then got round to hearing your Christmas song and I gotta say that half my brain loved it and the other half was saying "but hold on a minute ..."

But basically, it was so well done, reminding me quite a bit of the REBEL YELL guy... er, whatshisname... It'll come.

There was a FUNNY line that caught my ear just after the midway point - - My memory is AWFUL these days. Can;t recall what it was. I must only have 3 brain cells left. It was a funny line about Santa anyway!!! Honestly.

TRUTHFULLY? I wish that radio WOULD play stuff like your Christmas song because it couldn't possibly upset anyone except one of my sisters who thinks everyone but herself and her husband are going to Hayde's (can;t spell - Hell basically) - I found it both amusing and felt good to hear anyway

Maybe they would play it but I'm more inclined to think they'd rather play Mariah cary 100 times than your song once - It's just the way it is - everyone panders to FAME.. and repeating what's worked before. Here it's SLADE - MERRY XMAS EVERYBODY!

Some brave souls say "stuff that" and do UNUSUAL things, against expert advice and make the experts look stupid occasionaly - so sometimes it's worth the risk of breaking rules big time. (I'm thinking about the late Rod Temperton ignoring advice to cut the long harp intro off BOOGIE NIGHTS, people saying America wouldn;t play it, British radio wouldn;t - Wrong - that was WHY he wanted to do it - to be different - to stand out - and if he hadn;t, I doubt we would have Michael Jackson's THRILLER phase which kinda re-invented him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGiwMKXZbzQ Rod Temperton story just in case of interest

...I suppose it has to be said that fame usually happens for a reason - because they ARE actually good/great - The gimmicks are probably just the supposed icing on the cake.

It;s just that I always feel NO-ONE is that great that they deserve to be the ONLY thing we get to listen to for the next decade or three. Let some of the real hard triers at least get a look in - guys like yourself who are making perfectly good quality music - I'm sick up to the back teeth of hearing the same artists DECADE in, decade out - Cliff Richard for one!! I've never met a single person in my entire life who liked him. It's an absolute mystery why he's still there 50 years later.

Just seems "wrong" that you can't get at least ONE big play now and then while some mega rich person who probably walks round their own living room in sunglasses get's a millionth play that must mean SO little to them by then. But I'll just give myself a heart attack if I worry about the way the world works - It is what it is.

Although I think it was FINLAND? who broke that rule to let a rock band composed of people suffering Down Syndrome & autism represent them at Eurovision - If they'd got to the final they'd have had 204 Million live viewers, about 3 x the population of the UK!! The shortest song ever - 90 seconds. It was brave and really great of Finland to let them have such a big audience. ...

...Although now I THINK about it, very few countries actually WANT to win because it costs many millions to stage it if they win - Even France had to back out of staging it once - The BBC has picked up the tab 5 times I think when countries have not been able to afford to stage it the following year. IRELAND got so sick of winning and footing the bill they sent a TURKEY PUPPET after 3 wins - guaranteeing a lose. But it's all good fun. It;s all I look forward to every year, now the quality is so high in the nations that want to win - Australia were robbed this year with SOUND OF SILENCE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymFX91HwM0 DAMI IM - SOUND OF SILENCE - AUSTRALIA - NOT BRUCE!! YES, IT IS CONFUSING...

DOWN SYNDROME PUNK BAND PNK AT EUROVISION 2016, representing Finland ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Y0HOPL5GU PKN - Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät - Aina Mun Pitää

ESC / Eurovision links probably still don't work in the US after the rights were granted to a pretty useless company by all accounts, so probably still blocked on YT - unless you have a VPN to get round blocks.

It's a big show but almost unknown in the US except when talk show hosts can see a cheap laugh in finding the worst of it - which is easy because it HAS been pretty "out there" at times - But it's absolutely wonderful if you don;t get too caughgt up in the politics, taking it as seriously as Brexit or the US election - it;s just a song competition for family entertainment, and therefore a mixture of great and downright silly. Bruce understands, don't you? - But it's the ultimate leveler - it doesn't matter who you are, you can enter and win if you can find a country who will let you represent them. Strangely American songwriters have won (representing Germany in 2010)

If the links can be made to work, here's AMERICA winning Eurovision under the guise of Germany! That's my take on it anyway - an American wrote the song so why is it GERMANY'S win? Much though I love Lena's performance of SATELLITE...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qnsZgQe1tU - SATELLITE - LENA - GERMANY 2010 - AMERICAN SONG!!!

That was about it really - I think...

BILLY IDOL! that was the name I couldn't think of a minute ago. The guitars and drums mainly remind me of all those WHITE WEDDING and REBEL YELL songs i LOVED - and the vocals aren't a million miles away. Not sure whether you;d know it, depending where you're from, and perhaps I should know but like I say, my memory is terrible -

https://youtu.be/VdphvuyaV_I REBEL YELL BILLY IDOL - I love his passion on the chorus's.

Listening back now I can imagine you thinkin "what the heck.. nothing like my sound" and you'd probably be right - those big 80's drums for instance - But there was SOMETHING that made me think of Billy idol... the ENERGY perhaps and basic guitar sound maybe. I'm pretty hopeless at identifying sounds exactly.

Think I'd better shut up -

Merry Xmas

Steve aka Bruce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyVX3uJpqxc MONTY PYTHON BRUCE SKETCH